Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #41
folmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monty
folmonty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I don't own a Tacoma, yet, but I'm looking for some advice on which one to buy.
Andy
Nice timing Andy. Like yourself I'm trying to decide on either sport, OR or SR5. Another inmate has me thinking I'd like the DC and only way that comes is other than OR. More I think about it, the less locking diff will probably matter in my case.

Glad you posted this.

BTW - Sport pkg does look great but it's not that much different. Hood is useless but has nice lines. 17" wheels vs. 16" - which do you like better? Didn't know the interior materials were any different. Better go take a look. My sport was just fine.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #42
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I think both locker and atrac are options on a OR . I know atrac is for sure .
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I think both locker and atrac are options on a OR . I know atrac is for sure .
Locker and ATRAC are available on 09+ TRD Offroad 4x4
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #44
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Locker and ATRAC are available on 09+ TRD Offroad 4x4
Thought so . I'd get them both .
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To be clear, A-TRAC & the rear locker are part of the Off-Road Package. I believe they're only available as part of that package.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
To be clear, A-TRAC & the rear locker are part of the Off-Road Package. I believe they're only available as part of that package.
ATRAC is only available in 09+ TRD Offroad 4x4's

All TRD Offroads have a locker
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #47
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 TRD Offroad package comes with the following:

Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, VSC [12] +A-TRAC in place of standard VSC [12] +TRAC, engine skid plate, front tow hook, 115V/400W deck powerpoint, fog lights, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, Sport water-resistant seats with driver lumbar support (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [11] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor and outside temperature gauge, TRD Off-Road graphics

None of this is an option, the TRD Offroad package IS the option, if you choose it, you get the above.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #48
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I still don't think you get it. A-TRAC and the rear locker aren't "options" or optional parts of the OR package, they are part the OR package. You can't get the OR package without both of them (new trucks, nod to OZ), and you can't get either of them without getting the OR package.

Point being, this doesn't make sense in that context:

Quote:
Nevermind. I think you deleted a post and it makes sense now. The only reason I posted was to clear up the apparent misunderstanding, not to punk you.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #49
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah no serious off-roading, I'd be too worried since it'll be a daily driver. Just the sand at the beach and the mud/snow/boulders of northern PA when hunting. And unfortunately these activities only happen a few days a year so realistically this truck would probably spend 350-360 days a year on road. I like the look of the Sport over the Off-Road but I like the features and security of the Off-Road over the Sport. Decisions, decisions...
When I'm not hunting my land. And go onto state land. Having off-road is a + here. The back roads are ruff here with snow ,mud and rocks.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #50
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again everyone. For what its worth Toyota has a nice electronic brochure that you can download as a PDF from their Tacoma website. You have to do a little poking around but its there. The brochure does a nice job of outlining the features of all the packages and really helps to differentiate between them. Not that it matters to too many of you guys, you've already got your Tacomas, but it certainly has helped me. I just wanted to get some real world input from some real users, not just from the company who makes the vehicle. I'll keep you guys posted on my decision.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #52
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty View Post
Nice timing Andy. Like yourself I'm trying to decide on either sport, OR or SR5. Another inmate has me thinking I'd like the DC and only way that comes is other than OR. More I think about it, the less locking diff will probably matter in my case.

Glad you posted this.

BTW - Sport pkg does look great but it's not that much different. Hood is useless but has nice lines. 17" wheels vs. 16" - which do you like better? Didn't know the interior materials were any different. Better go take a look. My sport was just fine.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide?
Yeah they tell me the "skewp" is useless. Just for aesthetics. I don't really have a preference on 16" vs. 17" wheels. I know some guys like the smaller wheel so you can throw a bigger tire on there but I do some highway driving so I'm not gonna throw mudders on there or anything. At this point I'll probably end up with either a Sport or SR5 because the extra 5 grand for the OR will probably put it out of my price range. I just wanted to see if Tacoma World thought the rear locker was something I NEEDED so that I could start scrimping and saving to make it happen.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #54
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
How does the "sport' model have a stronger axel? What's different about them that makes them stronger?

I'm not doubting you, its just I've never heard this before and would like to know the difference/s. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #56
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
IF you plan on turning the truck into a off road beast i would go sr5 and then add lockers.
Definitely not planning on a "beast" but I might consider adding a rear locker down the road if I think I need it. The one feature I really like that you can only get on the Sport or Off-Road packages is the 115V plug in the bed. I think that's awesome and it doesn't come on an SR5. That alone may push me into a Sport or Off-Road. Out of curiosity are there reasons why I wouldn't be able to turn a Sport into an off road beast?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #57
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Andy, if you've got the money and are willing to spend it to achieve what you want, the word "wouldn't" simply does not apply.

I know guys that have bought the most cheap basic Jeep Wrangler they could get and re-built them from the ground up into a badass mother. They were wayyyyyyyy more capable than my Rubicon. But, they also had a lot more money invested in theirs too. Point is, they didn't want a Rubicon, they wanted BETTER than a Rubicon and were willing to spend the money to achieve it.

If you think building a Tacoma up into a "off road beast" is in your future, IMO, buy a lesser optioned Taco and build it to YOUR liking!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #58
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definitely not planning on a "beast" but I might consider adding a rear locker down the road if I think I need it. The one feature I really like that you can only get on the Sport or Off-Road packages is the 115V plug in the bed. I think that's awesome and it doesn't come on an SR5. That alone may push me into a Sport or Off-Road. Out of curiosity are there reasons why I wouldn't be able to turn a Sport into an off road beast?
Nope you can turn a Sport into beast. That is what i am about to do with my Sport model just order gears and two Arb lockers.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #60
speyguy is on a distinguished road
speyguy's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at the TRD off road and it was appealing to me, I hunt and I fish so my truck’s see off road. The 4x4 gets used, although my truck is not abused. Oh yes, my truck is my day to day driver and I live in an area that does get winter, owning a 2wd is not an option for me.

When I bought there were no TRD sport’s left in the 2012 model year and I wanted to take advantage of the 0% financing. The $5000 difference in the price between the SR5 and the TRD off road made my mind up in the end. The 4x4 V6 SR5(Canadian Package) works for me, it has all the options I was looking for(minus the locker and the skid plate) The big thing was the finances worked. I wanted out of my GM so in my situation I was willing to take a bit less than the top of the line to get in the game. The skid plate is something I will eventually add.

So far I'm impressed with the truck, it’s new and I have only owned it for 5 months. I got off to a bit of a rocky start with it, a few issues but those are fixed and I feel better about it. I do like the 2 levels of traction control in 2hi, really noticed a difference just how far I could go without engaging 4hi compared other trucks I owned that did not have this option. The sway control is useful as well; I’m actually impressed how well it works to keep the truck in control while in 2hi. Of course you can turn off the traction control if you want to play in 2hi

I have had lockers in previous trucks and it helped me out of some sticky situation. Although honestly I should have never gotten myself into them in the first place LOL. With age comes more responsibility and the voice of reason so my heavy 4x4 days are over, just can’t afford to fix it lol.

Perhaps the next one will have the off road package, I understand the benefits of having a locker. Honestly I don't think anyway you go you will be disappointed. On a side note the yellow wire mod intrigues me and I think for my purposes it may just be what the doctor ordered.