Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I don't own a Tacoma, yet, but I'm looking for some advice on which one to buy. I hope I'm putting this question in the right spot and I apologize if I'm not. My question is another "what's best for me" type but I browsed through the new member and other forums and didn't find this specific question asked by a newbie so I figured I'd go for it. Again, I apologize this information is somewhere else and I missed it. So, I'm looking for some in thoughts on Off-Road package vs. Sport Package. Quick bio:

I live in southeast PA and I'm shopping for this truck mainly because I live out in the sticks and snow removal in my township/county can be downright awful at times. So I need a good 4x4 for the winter months. That is if we ever get winter again here. I also do lots of fishing and hunting. I don't plan on doing much off-roading but there are a few things I want to do. I would say that this truck would potentially spend 90% of its life on the road and is definitely going to be my daily driver. However, I do plan to go surf fishing in some Delaware State Parks which requires driving on the sand and I do go hunting where I'd get semi-off trail on some poorly maintained logging trails. So my real question is: do I need a TRD Off-Road with the locking rear diff. or can I get by with a limited-slip in a TRD Sport or even just SR5? I'm mostly worried about the sand part if I'm honest.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Andy
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
You probably don't NEED it. Certainly never hurts to have. Most people I know who surf fish do so with trucks that don't have lockers so I don't really see it as a requirement for that.

Where in PA are you?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum!

I think you want the Off-Road. Besides the locker it also has A-TRAC

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
You probably don't NEED it. Certainly never hurts to have. Most people I know who surf fish do so with trucks that don't have lockers so I don't really see it as a requirement for that.

Where in PA are you?
I'm right where you are. Well, Oley actually. That's crazy.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
CanadaGuy is on a distinguished road
CanadaGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well. This place is awesome, I have already learned a ton about Tacos which has answered most questions for buying a new vehicle.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Tacoma, probably an 09-11 and I'm wondering if leather was ever an option on the TRD Offroad? I would like the Offroad becuase of the A-Trac and locking diff that everyone has mentioned, but I also want heated leather seats.

Problem is I'm in Canada and the TRD Offroad was never offered up here, only the Sport which did come with a heated leather option. I have found a few TRD Offroads up here but I have never seen one with leather. I know I can always get aftermarket leather and install it myself, but I would prefer not to.

Am I wasting my time looking for an Offroad with leather, or is this an option that was never offered? I have searched and I've gone through a bunch of dealer brochures but I can't seem to find an answer.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!!

If you plan on entering areas /trails where you MIGHT get stuck - and/or DO get stuck, you'll be glad to have the locker. But at the same time, how often will that happen?

On the other hand.....
09's went to an AUTO LSD (brake actuated)... and I believe the TRD Offroad also has the AUTO LSD & the locker. (correct me if I'm wrong - cuz I could be)

If the only thing you're worried about is traction differences - then definitely get the TRD Offroad. They're the same truck (driveline) if it weren't for the locker. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Other than traction - everything else is just based on what you need cosmetically and/or what features it has inside & out. Since you are looking for a USED one - it'll probably be tough to find exactly what you want and will have to settle (or patiently wait).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGuy View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well. This place is awesome, I have already learned a ton about Tacos which has answered most questions for buying a new vehicle.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Tacoma, probably an 09-11 and I'm wondering if leather was ever an option on the TRD Offroad? I would like the Offroad becuase of the A-Trac and locking diff that everyone has mentioned, but I also want heated leather seats.

Problem is I'm in Canada and the TRD Offroad was never offered up here, only the Sport which did come with a heated leather option. I have found a few TRD Offroads up here but I have never seen one with leather. I know I can always get aftermarket leather and install it myself, but I would prefer not to.

Am I wasting my time looking for an Offroad with leather, or is this an option that was never offered? I have searched and I've gone through a bunch of dealer brochures but I can't seem to find an answer.
You can get the TRD Offroad in Canada , just not in a doublecab configuration
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Welcome!!

If you plan on entering areas /trails where you MIGHT get stuck - and/or DO get stuck, you'll be glad to have the locker. But at the same time, how often will that happen?

On the other hand.....
09's went to an AUTO LSD (brake actuated)... and I believe the TRD Offroad also has the AUTO LSD & the locker. (correct me if I'm wrong - cuz I could be)

If the only thing you're worried about is traction differences - then definitely get the TRD Offroad. They're the same truck (driveline) if it weren't for the locker. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Other than traction - everything else is just based on what you need cosmetically and/or what features it has inside & out. Since you are looking for a USED one - it'll probably be tough to find exactly what you want and will have to settle (or patiently wait).
It took me two years of looking before I found mine.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I have the sport. The sport comes with entune and the hood scoop and a few other cool features. I wish I got the off road though. I have a prerunner and the locker would have been a nice feature so I wouldnt get stuck. If your getting a 4wd and dont plan on doing any serious off roading get the sport. It looks good.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Half of Florida offloading is sugar sand. I have personally never needed a locker, and even when I had it, I didn't use it. Can't speak on the snow thing as my experience is limited, but I'd think you'd be fine all around as long spas you suck it up and get some good tires.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
I have the sport. The sport comes with entune and the hood scoop and a few other cool features. I wish I got the off road though. I have a prerunner and the locker would have been a nice feature so I wouldnt get stuck. If your getting a 4wd and dont plan on doing any serious off roading get the sport. It looks good.
Yeah no serious off-roading, I'd be too worried since it'll be a daily driver. Just the sand at the beach and the mud/snow/boulders of northern PA when hunting. And unfortunately these activities only happen a few days a year so realistically this truck would probably spend 350-360 days a year on road. I like the look of the Sport over the Off-Road but I like the features and security of the Off-Road over the Sport. Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased my first ever Toyota anything a month ago.

I knew VERY little about Tacomas before I got interested in purchasing one. For me, I like the look of the hood scoop but I was trading in my Jeep Rubicon that had lockers front and back so the locker of the TRD Off Road was the deal maker.

You can always add ANYTHING later so don't get too twisted up on your favorite pick not having one particular item.

In the end, get what YOU want. After all, it's your money you're spending.

Good luck with your selection....
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
sport vs off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Yeah no serious off-roading, I'd be too worried since it'll be a daily driver. Just the sand at the beach and the mud/snow/boulders of northern PA when hunting. And unfortunately these activities only happen a few days a year so realistically this truck would probably spend 350-360 days a year on road. I like the look of the Sport over the Off-Road but I like the features and security of the Off-Road over the Sport. Decisions, decisions...
Thats why I got the prerunner. Its 2wd. I get better MPG's. I go to the snow 3 -4 times a year. I can put chains on quick if I need them. I go camping a few times a year but 2wd has done great with some wieght in the back. My next truck will be a 4wd just because I want to do stupid stuff offroad. Goodluck finding the right truck for you.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
I just purchased my first ever Toyota anything a month ago.

I knew VERY little about Tacomas before I got interested in purchasing one. For me, I like the look of the hood scoop but I was trading in my Jeep Rubicon that had lockers front and back so the locker of the TRD Off Road was the deal maker.

You can always add ANYTHING later so don't get too twisted up on your favorite pick not having one particular item.

In the end, get what YOU want. After all, it's your money you're spending.

Good luck with your selection....
Really, anything? That thought had occurred to me but I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd be able to add something like a rear locker aftermarket since its electronically controlled and probably tied into the computer and all that. That's an interesting take on it though. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
If the "look" of the TRD Sport trips your trigger more than any of the other models then that would be the one to get.

You can always add a ARB airlocker, which in my opinion is a MUCH better locker, at a later date. With the ARB you'll be able to use it whenever you want versus only in 4low like my TRD Off Road is.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD Offroad.

My "opinion" is this.

For moderate wheeling - Sport
Plan on significant Upgrades - Sport
Price is an issue - Sport

Better offroad performance in stock form off the lot- Offroad

Its a pretty simple decision really. If money is no object, the Offroad. If money is a cocnern then you need only look at your needs. for 90% On road driving and limited offroad use get the sport.

People offroad, drive in mud and snow and ice etc... Everyday with no rear locker or ATRAC. They are nice features if you plan on doing a little more difficult terrain.

If you plan on doing some difficult wheeling where larger tires and lockers are needed you may opt to get the sport and throw lockers in when you get the gears re-done for larger tires.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really, anything? That thought had occurred to me but I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd be able to add something like a rear locker aftermarket since its electronically controlled and probably tied into the computer and all that. That's an interesting take on it though. Thank you.
ARB makes an air actuated locker for both front and rear axles. The ARB locker is arguably superior to the e-locker that comes stock on the OR, however the cost is not trivial.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
If the "look" of the TRD Sport trips your trigger more than any of the other models then that would be the one to get.

You can always add a ARB airlocker, which in my opinion is a MUCH better locker, at a later date. With the ARB you'll be able to use it whenever you want versus only in 4low like my TRD Off Road is.
^ This is good advice
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, "anything" isn't quite right, but pretty close. The OR has arguably better brakes, a better off road traction system (A-TRAC), and different seats. There are cosmetic differences between them, too. I suggest spending some time in both models to see what seats you prefer and if you notice a difference in ride quality. From what you described, I don't think the OR package will be of much more value to you than the Sport package. If you're interested in traction modes, David K's sticky will fill you in. It's worth noting that an OR vs. Sport thread can quickly turn into a mess; make your own decision and ignore the noise.

As for the sand, airing down your tires can make a dramatic difference in traction, and a good air compressor is only a few hundred dollars.