Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
andyman [OP] andyman is offline
Junior Member
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Joined: Jan 2013, #96049
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Gender: Dude
Posts: 29
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I don't own a Tacoma, yet, but I'm looking for some advice on which one to buy. I hope I'm putting this question in the right spot and I apologize if I'm not. My question is another "what's best for me" type but I browsed through the new member and other forums and didn't find this specific question asked by a newbie so I figured I'd go for it. Again, I apologize this information is somewhere else and I missed it. So, I'm looking for some in thoughts on Off-Road package vs. Sport Package. Quick bio:

I live in southeast PA and I'm shopping for this truck mainly because I live out in the sticks and snow removal in my township/county can be downright awful at times. So I need a good 4x4 for the winter months. That is if we ever get winter again here. I also do lots of fishing and hunting. I don't plan on doing much off-roading but there are a few things I want to do. I would say that this truck would potentially spend 90% of its life on the road and is definitely going to be my daily driver. However, I do plan to go surf fishing in some Delaware State Parks which requires driving on the sand and I do go hunting where I'd get semi-off trail on some poorly maintained logging trails. So my real question is: do I need a TRD Off-Road with the locking rear diff. or can I get by with a limited-slip in a TRD Sport or even just SR5? I'm mostly worried about the sand part if I'm honest.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Andy
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jtav2002's Avatar
Name: Josh
Joined: Jun 2009, #19074
Location: Reading, PA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,506
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
You probably don't NEED it. Certainly never hurts to have. Most people I know who surf fish do so with trucks that don't have lockers so I don't really see it as a requirement for that.

Where in PA are you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold
 
P9HST2's Avatar
Name: Steve
Joined: Oct 2012, #90042
Location: Iowa
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 511
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum!

I think you want the Off-Road. Besides the locker it also has A-TRAC

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
andyman [OP] andyman is offline
Junior Member
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Joined: Jan 2013, #96049
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Gender: Dude
Posts: 29
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
You probably don't NEED it. Certainly never hurts to have. Most people I know who surf fish do so with trucks that don't have lockers so I don't really see it as a requirement for that.

Where in PA are you?
I'm right where you are. Well, Oley actually. That's crazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Junior Member
CanadaGuy is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2013, #94899
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
CanadaGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well. This place is awesome, I have already learned a ton about Tacos which has answered most questions for buying a new vehicle.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Tacoma, probably an 09-11 and I'm wondering if leather was ever an option on the TRD Offroad? I would like the Offroad becuase of the A-Trac and locking diff that everyone has mentioned, but I also want heated leather seats.

Problem is I'm in Canada and the TRD Offroad was never offered up here, only the Sport which did come with a heated leather option. I have found a few TRD Offroads up here but I have never seen one with leather. I know I can always get aftermarket leather and install it myself, but I would prefer not to.

Am I wasting my time looking for an Offroad with leather, or is this an option that was never offered? I have searched and I've gone through a bunch of dealer brochures but I can't seem to find an answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,862
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!!

If you plan on entering areas /trails where you MIGHT get stuck - and/or DO get stuck, you'll be glad to have the locker. But at the same time, how often will that happen?

On the other hand.....
09's went to an AUTO LSD (brake actuated)... and I believe the TRD Offroad also has the AUTO LSD & the locker. (correct me if I'm wrong - cuz I could be)

If the only thing you're worried about is traction differences - then definitely get the TRD Offroad. They're the same truck (driveline) if it weren't for the locker. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Other than traction - everything else is just based on what you need cosmetically and/or what features it has inside & out. Since you are looking for a USED one - it'll probably be tough to find exactly what you want and will have to settle (or patiently wait).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
OZ-T's Avatar
Name: Peter North
Joined: Dec 2009, #27584
Location: British Columbia
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,026
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGuy View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well. This place is awesome, I have already learned a ton about Tacos which has answered most questions for buying a new vehicle.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Tacoma, probably an 09-11 and I'm wondering if leather was ever an option on the TRD Offroad? I would like the Offroad becuase of the A-Trac and locking diff that everyone has mentioned, but I also want heated leather seats.

Problem is I'm in Canada and the TRD Offroad was never offered up here, only the Sport which did come with a heated leather option. I have found a few TRD Offroads up here but I have never seen one with leather. I know I can always get aftermarket leather and install it myself, but I would prefer not to.

Am I wasting my time looking for an Offroad with leather, or is this an option that was never offered? I have searched and I've gone through a bunch of dealer brochures but I can't seem to find an answer.
You can get the TRD Offroad in Canada , just not in a doublecab configuration
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
holyfield19's Avatar
Name: Bob
Joined: Jan 2011, #49179
Location: South Carolina
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 920
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Welcome!!

If you plan on entering areas /trails where you MIGHT get stuck - and/or DO get stuck, you'll be glad to have the locker. But at the same time, how often will that happen?

On the other hand.....
09's went to an AUTO LSD (brake actuated)... and I believe the TRD Offroad also has the AUTO LSD & the locker. (correct me if I'm wrong - cuz I could be)

If the only thing you're worried about is traction differences - then definitely get the TRD Offroad. They're the same truck (driveline) if it weren't for the locker. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Other than traction - everything else is just based on what you need cosmetically and/or what features it has inside & out. Since you are looking for a USED one - it'll probably be tough to find exactly what you want and will have to settle (or patiently wait).
It took me two years of looking before I found mine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mademan925's Avatar
Name: Nick
Joined: Nov 2012, #90668
Location: Bay Area
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,474
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I have the sport. The sport comes with entune and the hood scoop and a few other cool features. I wish I got the off road though. I have a prerunner and the locker would have been a nice feature so I wouldnt get stuck. If your getting a 4wd and dont plan on doing any serious off roading get the sport. It looks good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
AWorthyOpponent's Avatar
Name: Dan
Joined: Aug 2011, #62164
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,772
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Half of Florida offloading is sugar sand. I have personally never needed a locker, and even when I had it, I didn't use it. Can't speak on the snow thing as my experience is limited, but I'd think you'd be fine all around as long spas you suck it up and get some good tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
andyman [OP] andyman is offline
Junior Member
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Joined: Jan 2013, #96049
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Gender: Dude
Posts: 29
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
I have the sport. The sport comes with entune and the hood scoop and a few other cool features. I wish I got the off road though. I have a prerunner and the locker would have been a nice feature so I wouldnt get stuck. If your getting a 4wd and dont plan on doing any serious off roading get the sport. It looks good.
Yeah no serious off-roading, I'd be too worried since it'll be a daily driver. Just the sand at the beach and the mud/snow/boulders of northern PA when hunting. And unfortunately these activities only happen a few days a year so realistically this truck would probably spend 350-360 days a year on road. I like the look of the Sport over the Off-Road but I like the features and security of the Off-Road over the Sport. Decisions, decisions...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
B11 B11 is offline
Senior Member
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2012, #93592
Location: N.E. Wa.
Gender: Male
Posts: 244
B11's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased my first ever Toyota anything a month ago.

I knew VERY little about Tacomas before I got interested in purchasing one. For me, I like the look of the hood scoop but I was trading in my Jeep Rubicon that had lockers front and back so the locker of the TRD Off Road was the deal maker.

You can always add ANYTHING later so don't get too twisted up on your favorite pick not having one particular item.

In the end, get what YOU want. After all, it's your money you're spending.

Good luck with your selection....
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mademan925's Avatar
Name: Nick
Joined: Nov 2012, #90668
Location: Bay Area
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,474
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
sport vs off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Yeah no serious off-roading, I'd be too worried since it'll be a daily driver. Just the sand at the beach and the mud/snow/boulders of northern PA when hunting. And unfortunately these activities only happen a few days a year so realistically this truck would probably spend 350-360 days a year on road. I like the look of the Sport over the Off-Road but I like the features and security of the Off-Road over the Sport. Decisions, decisions...
Thats why I got the prerunner. Its 2wd. I get better MPG's. I go to the snow 3 -4 times a year. I can put chains on quick if I need them. I go camping a few times a year but 2wd has done great with some wieght in the back. My next truck will be a 4wd just because I want to do stupid stuff offroad. Goodluck finding the right truck for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
andyman [OP] andyman is offline
Junior Member
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Joined: Jan 2013, #96049
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Gender: Dude
Posts: 29
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
I just purchased my first ever Toyota anything a month ago.

I knew VERY little about Tacomas before I got interested in purchasing one. For me, I like the look of the hood scoop but I was trading in my Jeep Rubicon that had lockers front and back so the locker of the TRD Off Road was the deal maker.

You can always add ANYTHING later so don't get too twisted up on your favorite pick not having one particular item.

In the end, get what YOU want. After all, it's your money you're spending.

Good luck with your selection....
Really, anything? That thought had occurred to me but I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd be able to add something like a rear locker aftermarket since its electronically controlled and probably tied into the computer and all that. That's an interesting take on it though. Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
B11 B11 is offline
Senior Member
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2012, #93592
Location: N.E. Wa.
Gender: Male
Posts: 244
B11's Tacoma Gallery
If the "look" of the TRD Sport trips your trigger more than any of the other models then that would be the one to get.

You can always add a ARB airlocker, which in my opinion is a MUCH better locker, at a later date. With the ARB you'll be able to use it whenever you want versus only in 4low like my TRD Off Road is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Senior Member
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rsbmg's Avatar
Army:
Name: Rob
Joined: Oct 2010, #45160
Location: Vista,CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,070
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD Offroad.

My "opinion" is this.

For moderate wheeling - Sport
Plan on significant Upgrades - Sport
Price is an issue - Sport

Better offroad performance in stock form off the lot- Offroad

Its a pretty simple decision really. If money is no object, the Offroad. If money is a cocnern then you need only look at your needs. for 90% On road driving and limited offroad use get the sport.

People offroad, drive in mud and snow and ice etc... Everyday with no rear locker or ATRAC. They are nice features if you plan on doing a little more difficult terrain.

If you plan on doing some difficult wheeling where larger tires and lockers are needed you may opt to get the sport and throw lockers in when you get the gears re-done for larger tires.

Good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Senior Member
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Joined: Sep 2011, #63637
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 493
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Really, anything? That thought had occurred to me but I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd be able to add something like a rear locker aftermarket since its electronically controlled and probably tied into the computer and all that. That's an interesting take on it though. Thank you.
ARB makes an air actuated locker for both front and rear axles. The ARB locker is arguably superior to the e-locker that comes stock on the OR, however the cost is not trivial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
Joined: Sep 2009, #22358
Location: Ill Annoy
Gender: Guy
Posts: 630
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
If the "look" of the TRD Sport trips your trigger more than any of the other models then that would be the one to get.

You can always add a ARB airlocker, which in my opinion is a MUCH better locker, at a later date. With the ARB you'll be able to use it whenever you want versus only in 4low like my TRD Off Road is.
^ This is good advice
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Age: 2
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,634
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Really, anything? That thought had occurred to me but I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd be able to add something like a rear locker aftermarket since its electronically controlled and probably tied into the computer and all that. That's an interesting take on it though. Thank you.
Well, "anything" isn't quite right, but pretty close. The OR has arguably better brakes, a better off road traction system (A-TRAC), and different seats. There are cosmetic differences between them, too. I suggest spending some time in both models to see what seats you prefer and if you notice a difference in ride quality. From what you described, I don't think the OR package will be of much more value to you than the Sport package. If you're interested in traction modes, David K's sticky will fill you in. It's worth noting that an OR vs. Sport thread can quickly turn into a mess; make your own decision and ignore the noise.

As for the sand, airing down your tires can make a dramatic difference in traction, and a good air compressor is only a few hundred dollars.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRD off road / TRD sport suspension differences TheJamesAbides 2nd Gen. Tacomas 20 07-01-2012 07:22 PM
TRD Sport quieter than TRD off-road on the highway? NiceGuyEddie 2nd Gen. Tacomas 18 11-04-2011 01:04 AM
Part numbers for TRD Off Road and TRD Sport Rear Bumpers Cuda444 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 11-03-2010 02:35 PM
TRD OFF Road or TRD Sport (Gas Mileage) Airwolf NSX 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 02-21-2010 01:46 AM
DC LB TRD Sport or Access Cab TRD Off Road TRICOMA 2nd Gen. Tacomas 18 02-20-2009 07:45 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.