Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Information needed please!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Certified Mall Crawling Instructor
SwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Name: Steven
SwanksTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Information needed please!

Hey fellow TW members!
I know this topic has been discussed multiple times, I just can't find what i'm looking for exactly so if you know, please inform me!

I have a 08' TRD Offroad DCSB tacoma with 265/70R16 Yokahama Geolander A/T-S.
Recently a friend and I put on a 3" spacer lift in the front just to give it a little bit of a lift (I don't do off-roading other than the occasional mud puddle, haha)
but it has come time for some new tires and was wondering what size I could run without having to trim/mod little to anything to make them work without scrubbing and all.

I was looking towards getting some 285/70/R16 BFG AT KOs or Goodyear Duratracs.
(if you know something good and is cheaper, by all means, let me know!)

Basically, I was wondering if the 285/70R16s would rub at all, and if so, what tire size would be good to put on it?

Thanks for your time and looking!

-Steven
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
SwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
If trimming, mud flap removal, gas milage and power loss is a concern you might want to just go with 265/75/16.
Well I wouldn't mind minor trimming, it's just the fact that i wouldn't know what I was doing. Mud flaps have been gone since i bought the truck, 2 days after actually, not worried about the MPG and power loss shouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Larson7.62 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alex
Larson7.62's Tacoma Gallery
Just helped my friend install a OME lift kit and 285/70/17 Tires with wheel spacers. He has to trim the flares and parts of the inner fender and looks like he has to do the cab mount chop
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Firefighter:
Ouch, sounds bad. Would I be able to run 275/70/16 by chance? If the 285s are too big?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a say in the tire size due to mine being a 17" wheel, but I do have a 3" spacer system w/ 285/70/17(s) tires. The one point of interest is that I had to purchase new uca(s) because my truck would "walk" on the road too much. Just FYI. Hope this helps. I like my space system. A lot of die-hards don't like them and I understand. It is fine for how I use my truck. Just wanted to let you know about the uca(s). If you stay w/the oem size tire...no worries.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I don't have a say in the tire size due to mine being a 17" wheel, but I do have a 3" spacer system w/ 285/70/17(s) tires. The one point of interest is that I had to purchase new uca(s) because my truck would "walk" on the road too much. Just FYI. Hope this helps. I like my space system. A lot of die-hards don't like them and I understand. It is fine for how I use my truck. Just wanted to let you know about the uca(s). If you stay w/the oem size tire...no worries.
Hmm, did you have to do any trimming to get them to fit or any modifications at all?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
I removed the mudflaps and did some plastic trimming with an xacto. was cake and I dont rub 99% of the time on road. that may vary with your driving style tho, but if you dont turn at full lock all the time or hit bumps at speed then youll be fine.

youll prolly need either spacers or new rims for 285s tho btw. I dont regret them one bit tho. mpg loss is negligible with city driving and power loss wont be felt until you get above 55 really.

Im running the bfg 285s w/ spacers. you can check my build thread for the specifics.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
I removed the mudflaps and did some plastic trimming with an xacto. was cake and I dont rub 99% of the time on road. that may vary with your driving style tho, but if you dont turn at full lock all the time or hit bumps at speed then youll be fine.

Im running the bfg 285s w/ spacers. you can check my build thread for the specifics.
You've given me hope. what type of plastic trimming are we speaking of? and 3" readylift spacer lift is what i have on mine.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
I trimmed the mud flaps...just for aesthetics. I purchased the 3" spacer system, tires, and uca(s). I did a couple of the do-it-yourself mods. ie: diff breather, fog light mod. That is about it. Really happy w/the way my truck performs.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanksTaco View Post
You've given me hope. what type of plastic trimming are we speaking of? and 3" readylift spacer lift is what i have on mine.
go have look in your front wheel wells, at the front, youll see a flimsy black plastic cowling thing that ends in a cup like thing. youll just get a sharp xacto and chop the lower bit of that off. cuts like butter. if you rub after that, youll see where it was it from the marks, and just chop that bit off too.

you dont have to do a cab mount chop unless your going offroad. just refrain from turning at full lock on uneven surfaces and youll be fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Firefighter:
Okay appreciate it guys. So I will be able to fit 285s with minor trimming? Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

yep, dont forget to look at spacers or new rims also tho, youll need more backspacing with larger tires.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
What size back spacing do the black Baja rims have?
no idea. we do have an entire subforum on tires and rims tho. im sure someone else around here knows.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Firefighter:
So just to be safe, I should go ahead and buy 1.5" wheel spacers when I buy my new tires and I'll be set to go?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #17

Quote:
So just to be safe, I should go ahead and buy 1.5" wheel spacers when I buy my new tires and I'll be set to go?
1.25" should work fine with stock rims. spidertrax is the favored brand around here I think.

you should do some searching and read up on them tho before you buy. they are abit more maintence than new rims and some shops wont work on them.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Firefighter:
What do you mean by more maintenance?
And new rims really aren't an option for me, too pricey. Haha so i'll have to stick to the wheel spacers
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #19

Quote:
What do you mean by more maintenance?
from time to time youll have to check the bolts to make sure there still tight. the same goes for the rest of your lift tho really.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
Firefighter:
Ahh okay. That's not too bad I guess. Now for the real choice.
Which tires should I get? I want them to have an aggressive look, good in the mud if i decide to go through some, and a good wear life.

Let me know if you know anything!