Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Learned something about our door locks today

Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
That's a good feature, unless your locked out of the truck! LOL. Only thing I wish the locks did was lock and unlock when in and out if gear. Only because I have kids.
ask the dealer if you can have this programmed in...some cars this is just a setting...the ecu is capable of doing it anyhow
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #22
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
And, with the key, you can also lock both doors manually from either side, and from the driver's door unlock just the driver's side, or both doors, and when you go to unlock the truck manually from the passenger door, both doors will unlock at the same time...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #23
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
ask the dealer if you can have this programmed in...some cars this is just a setting...the ecu is capable of doing it anyhow
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Don't know if anyone has ever tried or not.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmedic13 View Post
Hope this helps,
if your truck is locked and you push the unlock button and do not open any of the doors it will lock itself again after 45 sec - reason being if you accidently hit the unlock button it will re lock the truck to keep it secure.
If you close a door and lock the doors, after 45 seconds it will disable the unlock button inside the truck, the lock side will still work, this being if a thief tries to unlock the truck by reaching with a tool the unlock button it is disabled weather or not someone is sitting in the truck, however if you manually unlock the door by sliding the knob, and open the door it will sound the alarm. try it, lock the doors, leave the window open, wait a few min, then reach in with your hand, slide the lever to unlock the door and open the door, your horn should sound.
Mine does not do this. I have tried all day to make the alarm sound, but it will not. I have the keyless entry and remote, but there is no alarm. Is there an upgrade factory alarm system module or something? My Sienna SE doesn't work like this either. Any help would be appreciated. I would like them both to sound the horn when somebody forces the door open.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I know if I use my remote to unlock but don't touch the door within 45 seconds or so the they will re-lock.

I've always thought that was odd.
Security feature.

Remember, there are a limited number of codes.
In an area like Los Angeles, there is a GOOD possibility that another vehicle with your code will end up in the same parking lot.

This way, if someone else unknowingly unlocks your vehicle, it's not left unlocked for the next hour, day (or maybe at LAX), week.

Maybe not such an issue today with rotating codes and the remote being programmed to match the ECU, but that is more recent.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What year is your truck? Mine will unlock without my fat ass in the seat
x2. i hit the unlock on drivers door all the time when i need to get to in the back door.(some times i for get to hit the unlock 2 times)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #27
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmedic13 View Post
...however if you manually unlock the door by sliding the knob, and open the door it will sound the alarm. try it, lock the doors, leave the window open, wait a few min, then reach in with your hand, slide the lever to unlock the door and open the door, your horn should sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Mine does not do this. I have tried all day to make the alarm sound, but it will not. I have the keyless entry and remote, but there is no alarm. Is there an upgrade factory alarm system module or something? My Sienna SE doesn't work like this either. Any help would be appreciated. I would like them both to sound the horn when somebody forces the door open.
:ahem:
Is my truck the only one that doesn't do this?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #28
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
no. i put my windows down, and locked it with the fop, and waited a few min reached in and opened the door and it did nothing. tried locking it with the lock button on the door same thing nothing at all.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
it looks stock, but with a little zest
zach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedzach nunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: zach
zach nunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to zach nunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I know if I use my remote to unlock but don't touch the door within 45 seconds or so the they will re-lock.

I've always thought that was odd.
I used to remote unlock in my house and run like hell out to the truck befoLOCK....yeah that's how I figured it out.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
no. i put my windows down, and locked it with the fop, and waited a few min reached in and opened the door and it did nothing. tried locking it with the lock button on the door same thing nothing at all.
Thanks. Does anyone know if there is an OEM system available? I hate to get an aftermarket alarm with an extra key fob.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks. Does anyone know if there is an OEM system available? I hate to get an aftermarket alarm with an extra key fob.
no problem! and i want to get a viper and dill ditch the oem fob and just use the one viper gives you. because at that point the oem wont do anything anyways. either way you are probably going to end up with a new key fob, wether it’s oem or aftermarket.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #32

Gotcha, Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #33
bise101087 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Jet engine mech
Name: Justin
bise101087's Tacoma Gallery
i'll have to try

havent tried to unlock my seat without any weight on the seats, but im going to try it now just to see if mine will do it. i imagine it would need weight off of both passenger seats and driver seats since they both have sensors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What year is your truck? Mine will unlock without my fat ass in the seat
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #34
jimbo808 is on a distinguished road

jimbo808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My truck alarm used to go off like that a couple years ago, not anymore though.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #35
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
fireroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
Quote:
My truck is a 2012 and did not do this at first. I found out the hard way as it got broken into the third week I had it while of vacation in Phoenix. As soon as I got home I had the dealer install a factory alarm for around $380. In addition to the "lock after 45 sec if you don't open the door" it now does the loud alarm if you reach in and open the door handle or hit the unlock button. Also includes glass sensors if they try a smash and grab. I believe something changed after 2011 because my buddies truck sets of an alarm when you try to open from the inside and he did not get the factory alarm. My guess is that a "factory alarm" was an option at one point or in certain areas and some folks may have it without knowing.

I am sure their are better and/or cheaper alarms out their but I like the fact that this works with the original key fob. I was pissed I had to shell out money in the first place as my 01 GMC Sierra had the equivalent of this alarm standard.

The TVIP RS3200Plus (Toyota Vehicle Intrusion Protection) is a complete vehicle security system with alarm and glass breakage sensor for vehicles that already have keyless entry with remote lock/unlock. The TVIP RS3200 offers three different alarm functions; break -in alarm, warn-away alarm and panic alarm. When armed, the vehicle’s security system is activated immediately if forced entry of a side door (or the trunk) is attempted or if the glass is tapped or broken. The system’s wide range of security and convenience features include: remote arming and disarming, automatic rearming and relocking, passive arming, door ajar warning, interior light activation, rolling code technology and disabling of the starter.

Backed by Toyota's 3-year/36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty, valid at any Toyota dealership nationwide.

Designed to integrate with the vehicle’s existing factory security/keyless entry system—no need for an additional remote
Alarm functions
Panic alarm remotely triggers vehicles alarm when activated from key fob
Warn-away alarm triggers an alarm triggers if an object striking on a window is detected
Break-in alarm is activated or if forced entry of a side door (or the trunk) is attempted or if glass is broken
Other features include
Door ajar warning helps remind driver to lock vehicle
Remote arming and disarming with 80 foot range
Passive arming— system automatically rearms and locks the vehicle if owner forgets
Automatic rearming and relocking
Interior light activates when vehicle is unlocked with key fob
Rolling code technology changes the remote code, helping prevent code theft
Starter disabled when system is activated
Includes glass breakage sensor (GBS)
Highly sensitive microphone detects the specific sound frequency of striking on glass or glass breakage
Sounds alarm and disarms starter if a window is broke
Sounds a warn-away alarm if object striking on a window is detected
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #36
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
Has anyone tried locking/unlocking using the key fob outside while the engine is running?

ie: Park to check the mail at the post office. Leave it running. Lock the truck with the key fob, come back and unlock it to leave.
On my 2012 it will not lock with the fob when the engine is running. I tried doing it this winter to warm up the truck and lock my doors.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to let you guys know that if you want a cheap key to open your doors go to Lowes. For under 3 bucks you can get a key(without a chip in it) and it will lock and unlock your doors but it will not start your car. I like to let my truck run for about 10-15 minutes in the winter to warm up. I didn't like leaving it running unlocked and I didn't want to carry both sets of keys with me. I stopped at Lowes and had an unchipped key made and use that key to lock and unlock the door while my truck is warming up. If some idiot wants to smash a window to steal it they are going to freeze to death driving around with the busted window.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3umph View Post
You can't lock the doors with the keys in the ignition they just unlock again if you try.
Pretty sure you can lock your running truck from the outside using a key in the lock.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #39
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morron View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that if you want a cheap key to open your doors go to Lowes. For under 3 bucks you can get a key(without a chip in it) and it will lock and unlock your doors but it will not start your car. I like to let my truck run for about 10-15 minutes in the winter to warm up. I didn't like leaving it running unlocked and I didn't want to carry both sets of keys with me. I stopped at Lowes and had an unchipped key made and use that key to lock and unlock the door while my truck is warming up. If some idiot wants to smash a window to steal it they are going to freeze to death driving around with the busted window.
Yeah, I got an un-chipped key to keep in my wallet. Just in case kinda thing, but I use it a lot to lock and un lock my doors if I'm just running to my truck to grab something and don't have the fob. I also use it to turn on to the accessories in ignition to turn on my Sirius radio, than I can tune a radio outside the truck to listen to that. Good for tailgating and what not, and no one can jump in and start it. A little peice of mind.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '94 Camaro that did the same thing. I locked the keys in there, so I used a thick coat hanger to jam the hell out of the button and ... nothing. It only worked to manually pull the door handle. Buttons worked fine with the door open, but when they were closed there was no triggering the switch.