Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Learned something about our door locks today

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
Learned something about our door locks today

Well, I finally locked my only key in the truck today. Luckily it was in the back yard and the driver's side window was down about 2 inches. I went out to the garage and grabbed a few 1/4" extensions and wiggled them through the opening and pressed down on the unlock switch.. nothing
I thought the battery might be dead so I pressed down on the lock side of the switch. It re-locked itself. So I find a long thin piece of wood and shove it in to press the passenger side switch , nothing again. I'm about ready to use a brick at this point but I end up duct tapeing a piece of coat hanger on the wood and pulled the passenger side door handle open.
As it turns out, the unlock side of the switch only works if there is weight on the driver or passenger seat. Someone needs to be sitting inside for the switch to unlock.

Moral of the story... GET A SPARE KEY!!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm interesting. I haven't quite figured out how the locks work in these trucks.

Having an aftermarket auto start installed has further complicated the matte... if the truck is running with the key in and I get out and close my door, it automatically locks. and then unlocks itself about 5 minutes later....
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I know if I use my remote to unlock but don't touch the door within 45 seconds or so the they will re-lock.

I've always thought that was odd.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnfly View Post
Well, I finally locked my only key in the truck today. Luckily it was in the back yard and the driver's side window was down about 2 inches. I went out to the garage and grabbed a few 1/4" extensions and wiggled them through the opening and pressed down on the unlock switch.. nothing
I thought the battery might be dead so I pressed down on the lock side of the switch. It re-locked itself. So I find a long thin piece of wood and shove it in to press the passenger side switch , nothing again. I'm about ready to use a brick at this point but I end up duct tapeing a piece of coat hanger on the wood and pulled the passenger side door handle open.
As it turns out, the unlock side of the switch only works if there is weight on the driver or passenger seat. Someone needs to be sitting inside for the switch to unlock.

Moral of the story... GET A SPARE KEY!!
What year is your truck? Mine will unlock without my fat ass in the seat
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What year is your truck? Mine will unlock without my fat ass in the seat
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, I'll have to try this some time, with a spare key outside!

There's also the various combinations of what your dome light does when you unlock it in certain sequences.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ghts-come.html
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I did just go try this!

If you lock it with the remote, whether you are in the seat or not, the electric switch on the driver's door will NOT unlock the doors, just like the OP experienced. The lock switch will re-lock it.

Must help secure the vehicle, though the manual lock or inside door handle still unlocks it.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried locking/unlocking using the key fob outside while the engine is running?

ie: Park to check the mail at the post office. Leave it running. Lock the truck with the key fob, come back and unlock it to leave.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Mine would not lock when I tried to use my spare key & fob while I was warming up my car the other day. I have a 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
Has anyone tried locking/unlocking using the key fob outside while the engine is running?

ie: Park to check the mail at the post office. Leave it running. Lock the truck with the key fob, come back and unlock it to leave.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunhamAll View Post
Mine would not lock when I tried to use my spare key & fob while I was warming up my car the other day. I have a 2012
Oh alright thanks. I have a 2012 also.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #11

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
All modern vehicles should come with a flowchart detailing the microcode inside the various ECU's. I remember the door lock switch on my 2004 Grand Cherokee wouldn't lock it if the door was open and the vehicle was running to prevent you from locking your keys in it. Now I'll have to go test this on the Tacoma...
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
I just tried mine. The unlock will not work without the key being in the on position. It doesn't matter in someone is in the seat or not. Must be a security feature to keep someone from snakeing a wire in and hitting the unlock button.The lock side still works though. You can't lock the doors with the keys in the ignition they just unlock again if you try.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
looks like you might need the link in my sig....
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Another thing I noticed, if you are out of the vehicle and push the lock button on the remote while any doors are open the truck does this high pitched beep sound until the open door is closed. Then it will lock. I have a 2012 with the factory alarm installed.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
Another thing I noticed, if you are out of the vehicle and push the lock button on the remote while any doors are open the truck does this high pitched beep sound until the open door is closed. Then it will lock. I have a 2012 with the factory alarm installed.
I noticed that too. Two separate occasions, equally as annoying. >_< I was too far away to close the door better in time, but the high pitched beep lasts like at least 5 whole seconds.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
I noticed that too. Two separate occasions, equally as annoying. >_< I was too far away to close the door better in time, but the high pitched beep lasts like at least 5 whole seconds.
If you press the unlock button it cancels the loud beep. Mine also does the beep if a does isn't shut all the way.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
If you press the unlock button it cancels the loud beep. Mine also does the beep if a does isn't shut all the way.
Never thought about pressing the unlock button lol. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #18
Oh dang, thanks too! Lol, I thought pressing anymore buttons would restart the beep from the top.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #19
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good feature, unless your locked out of the truck! LOL. Only thing I wish the locks did was lock and unlock when in and out if gear. Only because I have kids.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
bcmedic13 is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Matt
bcmedic13's Tacoma Gallery
Hope this helps,
if your truck is locked and you push the unlock button and do not open any of the doors it will lock itself again after 45 sec - reason being if you accidently hit the unlock button it will re lock the truck to keep it secure.
If you close a door and lock the doors, after 45 seconds it will disable the unlock button inside the truck, the lock side will still work, this being if a thief tries to unlock the truck by reaching with a tool the unlock button it is disabled weather or not someone is sitting in the truck, however if you manually unlock the door by sliding the knob, and open the door it will sound the alarm. try it, lock the doors, leave the window open, wait a few min, then reach in with your hand, slide the lever to unlock the door and open the door, your horn should sound.