Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY Hi-Lift and Tool Mounts

Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Hi-Lift and Tool Mounts

I finally got around to making a mount for my Hi-Lift using the factory bed rails, and ended up making a few more for my shovel, axe, hatchet, fire extinguisher, and flashlight.

I have limited tools, so I had to improvise on some things. Not all the holes and measurements are are 100% exact, but each mount it still solid and secure.

NOTES:

• A drill press and vise is recommended and would speed up the entire process. I did not use either, but it made for additional work.
  • You can make all the mounts on here using (2) 36" pieces of flat-bar (listed below)
  • Most people will be using different style shovels, axes, hatchets, flashlights, fire extinguishers etc. - keep that in mind and make sure to measure and test fit your tools before drilling and cutting. Don't get pissed at me if your setup isn't the same as mine.
  • I am not proficient in drafting or design, so please excuse the crappy dimensions/diagrams
  • Please feel free to leave pertinent questions, constructive feedback, or comments.
  • As always, I am not responsible for any damage or injury resulting from anyone doing these mods.

TOOLS USED:

Drill (or drill press)
Center punch
Small Pilot bit (7/32")
1/4" bit (titanium recommended)
5/16" bit (titanium recommended)
3/8" bit (titanium recommended)
Hammer
Vise (or equivalent)
Cut-Off Wheel (Dremel works)
10mm wrench and socket
13mm wrench and socket
14mm wrench and socket
Tape measure
Sharpie
LIGHT!!!

PAINT:

I primed and spray painted each mounting bracket black. I then dipped each bend in Plasti-Dip and double-dipped the bottom mounting brace for the fire extinguisher. The plasti-dip should help prevent any vibrations and absorb some shock.

----< Hi-Lift Mount >----

PARTS NEEDED:(each part is a hyperlink)
I got pretty much everything at Home Depot aside from the T-Nuts.

(2) 3/8-16 T-Slot nuts
(1) 1.5" x 18" Steel Flat Bar (1/8" thick)
(2) 2" 3/8-16 Bolts
(2) .75" 3/8-16 Bolts
(2) 3/8" Lock Washers
(6) 3/8" Washers
(2) 3/8" Fender Washers
(2) 3/8" Rubber Fender Washers
(2) 3/8-16 Nylon Locking Nuts
(2) 3/8-16 Jam Nuts
(2) 3/8-16 Wing Nuts

Step 1:I measured, cut and drilled my mounting plates using the 1.5" x 36" Steel Flat Bar (1/8" thick).

I measured 9" down and marked it with my Sharpie, and then made another mark at 8".

Cut it off @ 9". Bend it to 90
°from the 8" mark using your hammer and vise (or equivalent). Make (2) of these pieces.

I drilled my top holes .75" down from the top (the un-bent side) centered .75" in.

I drilled my second holes 4" down from the top, again centered .75" in.

Step 2:Assemble your mounts and attach to the bed rail.

For the Hi-Lift Mounting Bolt:

2" Bolt >>> Mounting Bracket >>> Nylon Locking Nut >>> Washer >>> Jam Nut >>> Hi-Lift >>> Wing Nut

*NOTE* When tightening your Jam Nuts down, make sure the flat edges are parallel to the edge of your flat bar. The Jam Nuts fit perfectly in the Hi-Lift holes to help stabilize it when mounting and help hold it in place.

For the T-Slot nut that goes in the rail:

T-Slot Nut >>> Fender Washer >>> Mounting Bracket >>> Washer >>> Lock Washer >>> .75" Bolt

Assembled:

Step 3:Attach it to your bed rails, and mount your Hi-Lift

FRONT:

BACK:

DETAIL OF THE JAM NUT IN THE HI-LIFT HOLE:

HI-LIFT MOUNTED:

----< Tool Mount >----

I got pretty much everything at Home Depot or Lowe's aside from the Quick-Fists and T-Nuts.

(4) Original QuickFists (I got the combo pack + 2 originals)
(2) 3/8-16 T-Slot nuts
(1) 1.5" x 19" Steel Flat Bar (1/8" thick)
(2) 1-1/2" 3/8-16 Bolts
(2) 3/8" Lock Washers
(6) 3/8" Fender Washers
(6) 3/8" Thick Rubber Fender Washers
(4) 1/4-20 1" Bolts
(4) 1/4-20 Nylon Locking Nuts

Step 1:I measured, cut and drilled my mounting plates using the 1.5" x 36" Steel Flat Bar (1/8" thick).

I measured 9.5" down and marked it with my Sharpie, and then made another mark at 8".

Cut it off @ 9.5". Bend it to 90
°from the 8" mark using your hammer and vise (or equivalent). Make (2) of these pieces.

I drilled my 3/8"top holes .75" down from the top (the un-bent side) centered .75" in.

I drilled my 1/4" holes 2.5" down from the top, and the third set at 5-5/8" down from the top, both centered .75" in.

Step 2: Assemble your mounts and attach to the bed rail.

Quick-Fists to the Mounting Bracket:
1" 1/4-20 bolt
>>> plastic washer (incl. w/ Quick-Fist)>>> Quick-Fist >>> flat bar >>> 1/4 washer >>> 1/4-20 nylon locking washer

Mounting Bracket to the T-Slot Nut: I had to stack the fender washers to make a spacer. Otherwise, my shovel would hit the rail.

1.5" 3/8-16 Bolt
>>> 3/8 lock washer >>> Mounting Bracket >>> fender washer >>> rubber fender washer >>> fender washer >>> rubber fender washer >>> fender washer >>> rubber fender washer >>> T-Slot nut

Step 3: Attach your mounting brackets, and mount your tools.

SEE BELOW FOR THE "T-MOUNT"
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
folmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monty
folmonty's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely Done!

Nicely done and well detailed Benson X. Stuff like this is exactly why forums are so useful.

Just might be a first project before or after the truck is delivered. Went from Pre-Runner Sport to 4X4. Now a highlift has purpose
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-Mount

----< T-Mount >----

I got pretty much everything at Home Depot or Lowe's aside from the Quick-Fists and T-Nuts.

(2) Original QuickFists
(1) Super QuickFist
(2) 3/8-16 T-Slot nuts
(1) 1.5" x 28" Steel Flat Bar (1/8" thick)
(2) 2" 3/8-16 Bolts
(2) 1-1/8" 3/8-16 Coupling Nuts (used as spacers)
(2) 3/8 Lock Washers
(2) 3/8 Fender Washers
(2) 3/8Thick Rubber Fender Washers
(5) 1/4-20 1" Bolts
(5) 1/4-20 Nylon Locking Nuts
(5) 1/4 Washers
(3) 5/16-18 1" Bolts
(6) 5/16 Washers

• I measured 14" down and marked it with my Sharpie. I made another mark at 24" and one more mark at 27.25"
  • Cut into (3) pieces: 14", 10", and 3.25"
  • Bend the 10" piece 90° at the 8" mark.

Piece #1- (14") The Top Mount

Drill holes according to the diagram:

Piece #2- (10" bent 90° at 8") The Middle Mount

Piece #3- (3.25" curved to form a "J") The Bottom Brace

Step 2: Assemble Your T-Mount

Starting with your Top Bar, tighten your Original Quick-Fists to the 1/4" holes on each end. I attached them just as I did on Tool Mount:

Quick-Fists to Top Bar:
1/4"-20 Bolt >>> plastic washer (incl. w/ Quick-Fist) >>> Quick-Fist >>> Mounting Bracket >>> 1/4 washer >>> 1/4-20 nylon locking nut

Next, attach your Bottom Brace to the Middle Bar.

Bottom Brace to
Middle Bar:
1/4"-20 Bolt >>> Bottom Brace >>> Mounting Bracket >>> 1/4 washer >>> 1/4-20 nylon locking nut.

Lastly, attach your Super Quick-Fist to your Top Bar and connect the Middle Bar.

Super Quick-Fist To Top Bar:
5/16-18" bolt >>> 5/16 washer >>> Super Quick-Fist >>> Top Bar >>> Middle Bar >>> 5/16 washer >>> 5/16"-18 nylon lock nut

Tighten the last 1/4"-20 bolt through the Top Bar into the Middle Bar.

Assembled:

Step 3: Attach the T-Mount to the bed rails

Now it's time to attach the T-Mount to the bed rails.

2" 3/8-16 bolt >>> 3/8 washer >>> T-Mount >>> 3/8 lock washer >>> 1-1/8" 3/8-16 coupling nut >>> 3/8 fender washer >>> 3/8 rubber fender washer >>> T-Nut

Assembled:

----< Finished Product>----

Old 01-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
folmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monty
folmonty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Just to be fair, I have a Sport 4x4 and have wheeled some pretty intense shit. Don't need a locker to have fun
I stand corrected - Bit of an admitted rookie in the wheeling department.

Thanks for the shopping and DYI links / ideas. Helps a lot and saves tons of time!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up & pictures!!! Thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

Army: 2nd Armored Div.
rubenc87's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rubenc87
Quote:
No problem and thanks Ruben.
Members such as yourself, make this the forum what it is. Awesome when members share what they have learned and share with the rest of us and show us with these great write ups. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Ben!

Bump for maybe it being a sticky since I know a lot of members have or plan on having a hi lift or adding it to the 2nd gen tips, mods & more thread?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mods-more.html
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
AK2NM is on a distinguished road

AK2NM's Tacoma Gallery
Heres mine

Thanks for the excellent write up. Following your instructions this is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Hi-Lift and Tool Mounts-img_0441.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2NM View Post
Thanks for the excellent write up. Following your instructions this is mine.
Sweet, looks good man!

Did the dimensions work well for you? I didn't have access to a vise or drill press, so making the holes and bends was "interesting" and not perfect, but it works

I just added another set of Quick-Fists to the tool mount for my axe and need to make a T-Mount for my Fire Extinguisher, Maglight, and Hatchet. I will eventually paint them all black (like you did).
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
saw your write up and it inspired me to get off my arse and make something for my truck. so i took your parts list and modified the bends a little.

then cut the center out of an old stock rubber exhaust hanger

put it all together and came up with this...

thanks for giving me the motivation and start up parts list!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the DIY. My Hi-Lift is on the way and I've been looking at mounting ideas.
Quote:
LOL, just giving you a hard time man. There's always a few guys that think a Sport isn't a capable off-roading rig and the Off-Road with ATRAC and a locker is the better choice. It's more about the driver than the rig. But either way, any Tacoma is badass IMO
Very true. I went to the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab last year with a friend in his lightly modified Jeep. On paper, we had one of the least capable Jeeps in town, but had no problem on the trails - lots of concern for us from people on the same trails with $40k or more in theirs.

I still like my OR, though.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
saw your write up and it inspired me to get off my arse and make something for my truck. so i took your parts list and modified the bends a little.

then cut the center out of an old stock rubber exhaust hanger

put it all together and came up with this...

thanks for giving me the motivation and start up parts list!!!
Hell yeah man, good job! That's why I love TW!!! Get new ideas, get inspired and motivated. I love DIY projects because their cheap, and more custom. Plus you get that manly feeling of accomplishment once it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Thanks for the DIY. My Hi-Lift is on the way and I've been looking at mounting ideas.
NP man, the wing nuts are holding tight so far .

I recently contacted a couple companies about their nylon insert locking wing nuts, but have yet to hear back. They are available, but only in bulk orders of 10+. If nothing else, I might just bite the bullet and buy 10 of them, and sell/give/trade the rest on TW.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to ask a redundant question, but did the t slots fit without any mods? i saw the bed attachment hardware thread, but if i remember correctly, i thought they trimmed it a tiny, thanks for the info and pics!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
sorry to ask a redundant question, but did the t slots fit without any mods? i saw the bed attachment hardware thread, but if i remember correctly, i thought they trimmed it a tiny, thanks for the info and pics!
I think those were the Grizzly brand ones. I got mine from Zorotools.com and they look slightly different, more like the Fastenal ones. Grizzly is cheaper, but you may have to trim them down.

Gonna build the T-mount sometime this week and update the OP
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty good.
Just wondering with the wieght of the jack and no fixed point on the bottom of the mount, does the jack shake or bounce around at all? or vibrate against the box?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think those were the Grizzly brand ones. I got mine from Zorotools.com and they look slightly different, more like the Fastenal ones. Grizzly is cheaper, but you may have to trim them down.

Gonna build the T-mount sometime this week and update the OP
cool, thanks for info, GL with ur mount!