Notices

plasti dip

Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip

hey guys i was looking to plasti dip my grill and part of the front end and i was curious if i should give it a good sanding before i spray it with plasti dip or if i should just clean the area and just spray. what should i do for best application?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
No sanding. Get it clean and free of waxes and road grime. That way if you don't like it you can peel it off and the oe finish will still look good.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it to look good use this
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
If you want it to look good use this
Then you will need to do a proper prep job on whatever you are painting. Use a good primer as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
ok cool. any idea what most people do? i figure i will plasti dip it first and see how i like it. if i do like it a lot then i can spray it. but as far as plasti dip, do you just spray it on like how you would with spray paint?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Yea just use light coats and build up slowly. See what it looks like with the plasti dip first. It holds up well in most cases. People have wheels done that last for years. Obviously a proper paint job with a hardened clear will last much longer.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
one thing, with it being cold and all, don't spray plasti dip less then 70 (warmer if possible)... it will spray VERY clumpy and "Trap" solvent leaving behind a nice bubbley finish.

do it in warm area and plasti dip is goooood stuff.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I did my lower valance on my truck 1.5 years ago. Tons of light coats with the first 3-4 being just to lay a splatter base coat. It was a warm 75deg day and I waited 20-30 between coats.

Overall on just the lower valance I used 3/4 can.

It still looks as good as the day I did it. Pics in my profile.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
dritchey10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
dritchey10's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man I just did my grill yesterday. It's super easy.

Here's a tip if you're doing it in cold weather like I did since it was unavoidable and I didn't have a garage big enough to do it in. Take the cans of Dip into your house or garage and place them next to a heater vent (not on the heater or vent, just near it) to get them room temp or a little warmer then go outside and spray your next coat on then take them back in and place them at the vent again. That way it doesn't get lumpy.

It does a great job though and if you tape off anything be sure to be careful when you peel the tape off as the dip wants to pull off with it! Pull away from the dip, not towards it.

Hope that helps. I did my wheels too and the stuff is holding well. Just have to pay attention and do a good job.
Attached Thumbnails
plasti dip-photo-2-.jpg   plasti dip-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Your taco looks great! Thanks do all the advise guys! I wish it was 70+ to spray properly but I'm gonna take your advise and just get the cans to room temp for every coat. I will probably set up my portable heater facing the front end so at least there will be heat applied after each application.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a whole website full of plasti-dip forums

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php

I did my badges and i love them!