1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Automatic Trans Rough shift into 5th gear.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dtopgun515, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Mar 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Smooth shifting is apparently harder on AT than harder shifting. That being said my 07 does not suffer from this.

2. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    I would think if that was the case since 2006 it's just the way it shifts, mine is the same way it's not really rough just noticable. But I drive different rentals every week for work and they all shift different...some feel like butter some are more pronounce...

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    4th? My truck loves the D, so I never take it out. No harsh shifts here on a 2009.

I'd be checking my transmission fluid level first off, there's been a lot of talk of them being low from the factory. I would even do a drain and fill just to be sure. If anyone does toast one, they're only $1200-$1500 on avg from a junk yard. An easy afternoon job if you have any mechanic friends :) Never heard of one failing though.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    What you feel as a shift into the final gear is actually the torque converter locking up. There's no slipping especially when being easy on the gas that's why you feel it "kick into gear". When this happens at a higher speed you are in a better power band with more torque which slips slightly before locking up the torque converter and therefore you won't feel it "kicking" in. Slipping causes friction and this causes heat which hurts the trans mission fluid. The TC is the hottest part in the trans when slipping it can reach temps that burn the ATF. Even if your fluid in the transmission pan seems to be at operating temp it's a lot hotter in the TQ since the fluid in the pan went through the cooler already.

Toyota wants to avoid/lower those high temps and therefore programs the trans to lock the TQ early on. This helps to reduce maintenance and increases the life span of the transmission.

You can compare it to a manual clutch if you will, if you let it slip too much you'll burn of the friction material and need a new one very soon. A new clutch generally will grab a little harder if driven the same as a worn out clutch, therefore I think we see that a lot on newer, lower milage tacomas with brand new TC. It could be programmed to engage OD later but that comes with lower MPG and the disadvantages mentioned above.

5. Apr 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    I checked my transmission fluid today, warmed up the truck for a few minutes, opened the overflow plug and expected it to be well under filled, but mine was exactly the opposite...it was spitting out about 3/4 quarts, closed the overflow plug and drove it down the street and it shifts a lot better now...don't know the procedure for filling the transmission at toyota...but something is off there

lynyrd3 likes this.
  6. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:25 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Update: after adjusting the trans fluid to the right level it seems to be a little better, it still happens from time to time under a specific speed, throttle in the 35-40 mph range. I noticed it only happens when the tarns fluid is up to temp and the truck shifts and locks up the TQ completely at the same time. I see a sudden drop in RPMs when it does vs a smoother shift at higher RPMs where the TQ locks up slower with some slippage and I see the RPMs drop in 2 steps...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. Jun 19, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    aflores2726

aflores2726 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anybody have this problem I don't know if it's me but I have a 2013 TRD sport manual transmission 6 speed and when. I shift into 2nd gear it's kind of hard it doesn't make no grinding noise just sort of a clunk noise kinda .. I don't know if I got to push the clutch in all the way or what but there be times it doesn't make a sound I guess I just get rite . I tend to stall too not all the times or is it I'm shifting to early

8. Jun 20, 2014 at 3:58 AM
    Hot2na

Hot2na Well-Known Member

Member:
    Complete changeover to amsoil synthetic atf ,clean pan etc....and it shifts completely different...no more banging into fifth !

Olcrowe and daopi like this.
  9. Sep 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Did anyone ever got that fixed?

Here's what I tried so far:

Checked level - OK
    Added Lubegard Platinum - didn't change

happens about 75% of the time when I'm on the gas getting up to speed at around 40-45 and it shifts @ ~2000rpms, it feels like it goes from no lock-up to full lock-up in a split second. If I'm really easy on the gas it won't, if I'm on the on ramp it won't either, and there it looks like it locks up in 2 stages which makes it smooth...

My next step it to bring it to the dealer and get it at least "recorded" so I have a case if it breaks after the 60k/5Year...I'm at 10K...it's doing it since new

10. Sep 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Gently Tapping the brake pedal at highway speeds with your left foot while holding your right foot steady on the gas pedal should confirm you have a converter lock up issue .
    When you tap the brake pedal gently , you manipulate the brake switch ,it turns the converter lock up function off . Holding your foot on the gas pedal while you try this allows the converter to re-apply shortly after your foot is removed from the brake pedal . You are already in fifth gear when performing this test so the only conclusion at this point is an issue with the lock up function .
    After performing this test at highway speeds , do you still feel 2 applications when the converter locks up ?
    The lubeguard should have taken care of any kind of converter clutch chatter .
    Did you check the trans fluid with the engine running ?
    Have you tried cleaning the Maf ? Understand its a new truck but worth a try ?
    Have you disconnected the battery and tried a re-learn ?
    I will edit this shortly ...brb

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  11. Sep 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD

Thank you for the reply,
    I did the test a while ago, it worked fine and once in 5th gear it will unlock and lock without any bump (I don't remember if it did the 2 application lock up but I will check again - maybe I shoot a video of it).
    I can also switch from 5th to 4th with the gear selector and back and it won't bump into gear. Other than that every other shift is fine.

12. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Hmm , you are not supposed to feel two applications of the converter when it locks up . Just trying to rule out the converter as the problem . If you already did the brake test and the converter unlocks and locks as it should , I beleive we can rule out the converter as being the problem .
    I still havnt found any info on the TSB and have been looking for a long while now .
    Did you check the trans fluid with the engine running ?
    Have you tried cleaning the Maf ? Understand its a new truck but worth a try ?
    Have you disconnected the battery and tried a re-learn ?
    At this point in time having it documented by the dealer is a great idea

13. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Thanks for the reply,

I did check the trans fluid with the engine running and in temp mode
    I did unhook the battery and tried the re-learn 3-4 times but it didn't change.
    I didn't check on the MAFS yet, but will do before I head to the dealer.

Since a lot of people seem tha have this problem, I start to think it might be a design/electrical issue??

14. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I still havnt figured out if your are having the same issue as the OP .

There have been many cases where the SLT solenoid has created the problem . The electronic pressure control solenoid is the primary contributor and they are well known to be faulty mechanically . Its unfortunate because you are not going to get a code for a solenoid thats worn out . The computer commands the SLT solenoid to perform a task and the solenoid works fine electrically thus making the computer control happy but the SLT solenoid loses pressure mechanically causing the B1 brake to slip .

With this said , the dealer would have to do a hydraulic test on the circuit in question and we know from expereince if there is no code , the dealer usually says the transmission functions correctly . Sounds like your in a catch 22 .
    You dont have a P2714 malfunction but you can still perform the hydraulic test to verify solenoid mechanical wear .
    Here is P2714 diagnostic http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/lc_trj12/rm/rm1151e/m_05_1113.pdf

and here is the hydraulic test that you or the dealer would need to verify
    http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old.../06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/027003.pdf

To add to this .....The reflash of the ECM may help . Wish I had more info for you

15. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    I dropped the truck off this morning, I got a loaner Prius right away, they are looking at 2 things right now.

1. Hard Shift into OD at certain speeds/rpms, also mentioned the sometimes hard 1-2 shift I get, but thats not as bad as the clunk in 5th
    2. TSB for pinging, even though I don't have pinging, I told them to perform that anyway - I hope the reflash migth cure both issues?

I don't expect much, but will keep this thread updated. Can't complain about the service though, they took the time to uderstand what I was talking about and I was offered a loaner without even asking for one.

I will check if a hydraulic test was performed, that's some really good information there gearcruncher

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  16. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    UPDATE: they re-flashed my ECU, I have the feeling it shift better now (in all gears) it shifts firm, nothing compared to a chevy or ford, but doesn't bang that much anymore.

I will keep an eye on it and see if it stays that way

17. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    The software upgrade they did to your truck ..... did they explain to you what the purpose of the software upgrade would do ? We have all been looking for the answer for a long time.
    Did you get any paperwork when they fixed the truck ? This software update was issued in June of 2012 and we are still looking for an answer to what it exactly does .
    Did you get a couple new stickers under the hood showing the new ecm calibration?

Now scrollback to post # 63 and you will understand why we are all interested in this service bulletin .

And for anybody reading this that has a similar issue with your transmission like the OP ....Rough shift into 5th gear , contact your dealer and have them perform tsb 0044-12 .

!!!!!!!!!!!! Scream at the dealer that your truck PINGS bad in 5th gear and when the truck upshifts into 5th ,you notice that the upshift is very clunky . Reports are coming back that if your engine doesnt sound like a can of marbles when the technician test drives your truck, Toyota will not perform the TSB reflash and send you on your way without fixing anything saying this is simply a normal characteristic of the Tacoma. I can only imagine what your engine end journal bearings look like after driving with these issues for 50k

Did they perform the ping TSB as that may have taken care of some of the aggressive shift into 5th
    OK -here is the EDIT . Toyota fixed your pinging engine by changing the shift points on the transmission . Your truck is now harder on fuel if you have this TSB performed . Got an Ultra guage or a scan guage ? Check your mileage before you get this TSB done and then check it after .
    [​IMG] T-SB-0044-14.pdf

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/

Check your service records using your Vin # and it should show you what the software upgrade did . Here is the link http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  18. Nov 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    PhillyTacoma1230

PhillyTacoma1230 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Santoshi Raptor Style Grill, Weathertechs, 33" General Grabber at2 265/70/18, Kobalt Slimline, Flowmaster 40, Outdoor Edition Bedside Decals, 5100's set at 1.75" with 1/4 toytec spacer both sides, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL
    Gearcruncher / All,

I was experiencing the rough transmission shift into 5th gear as well. After countless times checking my transmission fluid (using the method provided on this website) I still had the rough shift into 5th gear even after making sure the transmission fluid was at the correct level. My next step was to flush the transmission fluid and replace it with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. After replacing the transmission fluid (used the full flush method found on this site) the truck seemed to shift a little bit better but then ultimately I confirmed there was no change.

I continued to do more research on this site and saw gearcruncher talking about T-SB-0044-14. I decided to drop my truck off at the dealer and ask them to perform the tsb because I was experiencing a rough shift into 5th gear and a knocking and pinging sound while going up an incline in 5th gear at low rpms. I am happy to say that the dealership performed the TSB without question and my truck shifts much much smoother. The truck no longer shifts roughly into 5th gear or overdrive. I believe all of you experiencing this rough shift should have this TSB performed. It makes a noticable difference.

Thanks.

19. Nov 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the update Philly .
    I am sure 2012 and up owners will be happy to hear that the issue has been rectified .
    Now Toyota has to modify the TSB so that older trucks with the same issue can get their trucks fixed . The rough shift into 5th also occurs on the older trucks. Not much pinging on the older trucks but definitely harsh upshifts into 5th

I added this post to A750E series information page
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...hift-kit-shift-recalibration-kit-2nd-gen.html

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  20. Nov 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Shift points controlled by the ecu are set way too low from the factory. I don't notice it all that much now, but coming from a dakota where the shifts were at higher rpm, I thought something was off too. Just drive it.

Products Discussed in

To Top