Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Hartford is on a distinguished road
Hartford's Tacoma Gallery
Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway

Took my truck to the dealer for the free service saturday. Noticed these in the driveway today. Only found the one bolt. Don't have a metric tape, but the bolt measures an inch in total length, and 5/16 diameter. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway-img_1917.jpg   Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway-img_1918.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Does not look like Toyota hardware
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Does not look like Toyota hardware
x2
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you got a good screw
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Did you recently bring home an "assembly required" piece of furniture?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
That is by no means automotive hardware, those nuts a zinc plated and are not ratted for anything on our trucks. I agree above, did you build any furniture?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Keps nuts are awesome!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Thanks for the reply guys. Don't know about the furniture as I'm not the only one living in this house, but I don't see anything new. It's just weird. They were all around where I park my truck. The other vehicle that stays here is in a garage and never parks where my truck is. Not worried now. Just curious. And the nuts don't look like they have been tightened as all the teeth are unblemished.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
the only remote possibility is some plastic under-dash panels, but the screw head would be phillips or torx, not allen

that is not a Tacoma parts pile there
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford View Post
Took my truck to the dealer for the free service saturday. Noticed these in the driveway today. Only found the one bolt. Don't have a metric tape, but the bolt measures an inch in total length, and 5/16 diameter. Thank you in advance.
Looks like engine mounting bolts or possibly bearing bolts.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Was there any dirt found in the same area? This could explain a lot.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Looks like engine mounting bolts or possibly bearing bolts.

No just no. Unless its a engine from a gas rc car
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
Was there any dirt found in the same area? This could explain a lot.
No dirt. The roads have not been sanded in while. They have not been out there long. These really have me stumped, but as soon as i figure it out you guys will know.

Okay, half way through this post and just figure it out. Nuts and bolts for the caster wheels on my creeper. Marked the tires and oil filter before i took it in for service. Must not have had these tightened all the way. Got the creeper for christmas and just put the wheels on finger tight while doing the family presents.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
remind me to never let you wrench on my truck
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
remind me to never let you wrench on my truck
I'll take that cause I deserve it. I almost just kept my shout cause it did make me feel stupid. I made a mental note to do it before i actually used it. Forgot though. I assure you it is not the norm for me. Over tightening especially on small stuff is more common for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford View Post
Those are called "captive star washer" nuts, commonly used to secure metal or plastic body panels, cover plates, shields, and very occasionally even electrical connections. The bolt may or may not be entirely unrelated to the nuts, perhaps coming from still elsewhere on the vehicle.

Given the amount of harware you've found (knowing still others may have fallen elsewhere), and in the interests of "better safe than sorry," I'd immediately (now, today) take the truck back to the dealer, show them the nuts & bolt, and have them look for missing hardware in the areas they were working. If they're from the truck, the guy doing the work will have seen them before and will know exactly where they go. If the nuts & bolt are not from the truck, no harm done.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Those are called "captive star washer" nuts, commonly used to secure metal or plastic body panels, cover plates, shields, and very occasionally even electrical connections. The bolt may or may not be entirely unrelated to the nuts, perhaps coming from still elsewhere on the vehicle.

Given the amount of harware you've found (knowing still others may have fallen elsewhere), and in the interests of "better safe than sorry," I'd immediately (now, today) take the truck back to the dealer, show them the nuts & bolt, and have them look for missing hardware in the areas they were working. If they're from the truck, the guy doing the work will have seen them before and will know exactly where they go. If the nuts & bolt are not from the truck, no harm done.
Thank you. We got it figured out now, and I feel a little foolish.

Any way here are pictures of the creeper after everything was tightened down
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway-img_1919.jpg   Unidentified nuts and bolts in driveway-img_1920.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post

Given the amount of harware you've found (knowing still others may have fallen elsewhere), and in the interests of "better safe than sorry," I'd immediately (nomw, today) take the truck back to the dealer, show them the nuts & bolt, and have them look for missing hardware in the areas they were working. If they're from the truck, the guy doing the work will have seen them before and will know exactly where they go. If the nuts & bolt are not from the truck, no harm done.
Holy fucking not reading the entire topic lol..OP has stated he found the source that the nuts and bolt goes to..his creeper, to a castor wheel to be exact.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Holy fucking not reading the entire topic lol..OP has stated he found the source that the nuts and bolt goes to..his creeper, to a castor wheel to be exact.
No, I didn't read every word of every message. I responded to his original concerns, based on his earlier statement of no other possible source in the area. And I'll repeat the last sentence of my comment - "If the nuts & bolt are not from the truck, no harm done."
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Power Top

They're not even Toyota hardware in the first place..for any application on the tacoma