Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Jerky when in 4wd?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Standup is on a distinguished road
Standup's Tacoma Gallery
Jerky when in 4wd?

I have a 99 tacoma trd with 99k miles on it I just got a week ago. When I put it the truck in 4 high and make a sharp, slow left or right turn it almost feel like the tires are rubbing and the truck kind of lightly lurches forward? It does not do this in 2 high. What could be wrong?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
did you have the 4wd engaged on pavement? if so than the 4wd system was binding
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Standup's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I was on the pavement when I was turning sharply/slowly but it was snowing out so I engaged the 4wd in case the roads got slippery. And just realized I posted this in the wrong section.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup View Post
I have a 99 tacoma trd with 99k miles on it I just got a week ago. When I put it the truck in 4 high and make a sharp, slow left or right turn it almost feel like the tires are rubbing and the truck kind of lightly lurches forward? It does not do this in 2 high. What could be wrong?
When you are in four-wheel mode, both tires are driving at the same rate, when you turn, whatever tires are on the inside of the turn rotate slower that the ones on the outside, but they are still wanting to spin at the same speed, hence the 'jerkiness' you describe. Because of this, it's very important to the life of your drive train to only use four wheel drive on surfaces that allow the tires to break traction if they need to. If you drive like that on hard surfaces, this will cause the drive-train to do what's called 'binding', a nasty thrashing of your drive-train which can ruin it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
its completely normal...unless it is really slippery out..I would be careful about engaging 4wd on pavement.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Standup's Tacoma Gallery
So pretty much only engage it on snow or ice?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no you can engage it whenever. Just don't try and turn unless the tires can slip (like in soft dirt, ice, snow, etc.)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Well, yeah, off-road in dirt or mud, snow and ice on roads is OK, just have to be aware of what the road conditions are suitable for four-wheel drive. If the conditions improve or start to dry, put it back in two-wheel drive. Basically use four-wheel drive on pavement only when you absolutely have to. Like Pete said, I wouldn't turn too sharply either, it's just tougher on the drive-train.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
This belongs in the 1st. Gen section since the OP has a 99
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
This belongs in the 1st. Gen section since the OP has a 99
thank you grumpy cat
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Meh
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I usually eat jerky when i'm in 4 wheel drive. but never on the pavement.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
The tight u-turns and fast tight 3 point turns are not for 4 wheel drive.

More radius turns when engaged.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
I usually eat jerky when i'm in 4 wheel drive. but never on the pavement.
That's what I thought the thread was about to be honest
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
When you are in four-wheel mode, both tires are driving at the same rate, when you turn, whatever tires are on the inside of the turn rotate slower that the ones on the outside, but they are still wanting to spin at the same speed, hence the 'jerkiness' you describe. Because of this, it's very important to the life of your drive train to only use four wheel drive on surfaces that allow the tires to break traction if they need to. If you drive like that on hard surfaces, this will cause the drive-train to do what's called 'binding', a nasty thrashing of your drive-train which can ruin it.
That's why you have a front & rear diffs.
The problem is caused by the front wheels covering more ground than the rear wheels on turns.