Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Switching into 4-HI while moving?

View Poll Results: When switching into 4WD HI, do you come to a complete stop and shift into neutral?
While moving 357 88.59%
Complete stop/in neutral 46 11.41%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
For those that still want to turn the hubs you can have them and some of the new F250's i've come across around town still have manual locking hubs which is insane for a 40K+ truck.
I'm religious against automatic locking hubs, every vehicle i have owned with auto's have broke. Were as my 95 bronco and my tacoma have never had a single problem
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Nobody here uses 4WD when it rains and it rains for 6 months straight in fall / winter
Your getting enough rain to keep the roads fairly clean. Where I live it only rains every couple months, and by that time so much dirt/oil have built up on the roads they become pretty slick. Not that I make a habit of it, I have used 4x4 in the rain. It can be useful when having to pull out onto 2 lane roads with 60mph traffic to gain speed quickly without the ass end swinging around on you.

As to the OP, either way works, but why waste your time to stop if you don't have to?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh...4x4 in the rain is much safer for going through traffic on Toronto's highways. The truck is much more predictable.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
fwiw...

if you are driving with your foot on the gas so hard that you find 4wd in
rain on pavement is the best option, then you really need a different vehicle...one that
has an AWD system and not just a part-time system like Tacoma has...

imho there is not really much need for 4wd on pavement unless you really need to
beat that guy next to you at the light in the pretend race

yes 4wd is fine to use but you may find that seals and driveline
components will be needing service a whole lot sooner than you'd expect

seriously, part-time is just that. only use when you will get stuck if
you stay in 2wd. with the 2wd mode and trac and vsc, I find the Tacoma
is quite handy in snow and slush and I only really need 4wd up steeps

on my 4runner that has awd, I just leave it in awd 24x7
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
]fwiw...
I only really need 4wd up steeps
^^this. I had mine in 2wd once going up a hill in the snow. Halfway up the hill the rear end began to lose traction and fishtail on me. Put 'er in 4wd and went right up the hill, no problem. Had a similar situation when I was 19 with my Mom when she was driving my Dad's Ford. Rear end cut loose up a hill in black ice and we flipped over.

Anyway, If it's slick at all I'm in 4wd.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Read the top side of the driver side window visor it has the instructions for shifting into 4hi and 4low if you are ever unsure. But for 4hi I shift while moving all the time I just let of the gas turn the switch and away we go.

For those that still want to turn the hubs you can have them and some of the new F250's i've come across around town still have manual locking hubs which is insane for a 40K+ truck.
I'd rather have manual hubs, just my preference. Even on a $40K + truck. If you think you're going to need 4wd lock them and drive around. It's like having auto hubs when not in 4wd. Unlock them when you get home or when you don't think you'll need them.

And OP, as stated above it's fine to shift into 4hi while moving below whatever speed your visor info sticker thing says, and as long as your tires are all moving at the same rate.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elclem21 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
THIS is the right answer. Just ensure you don't shift while accelerating or pulling hard (torque) and everything is fine.

Done that. Makes a fantastic Thunk/clunk sound. I highly do not recommend it. (It was an accident.)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why the hell do people use 4WD in rain ?
Beats me.

I never use 4wd on the pavement, unless I am in snowy conditions.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it either way, just make sure your wheels are straight, and I try to keep it under 40mph when doing it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
peiscooter is on a distinguished road

peiscooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you can switch to 4h while driving. As mentioned, all 4 wheels have to be turning the same speed (no spinning). Also you will notice that if you shift to 4h with your foot on the gas, the 4wd indicator light will come on and blink. You have to let off the gas to get it to engage (light will stop blinking)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
Twiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant future

Name: Austin
Twiostaco's Tacoma Gallery
With all the snow here in Utah the past few weeks my 4wd has been on ALOT! I feel like a boss flipping switches.... Ok I lied I turn the knob but I still feel like a boss. I prolly turned it on and off 5 times alone on my way to work today. Just ease of the gas make sure wheels are straight and BAM 4wdh
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
]fwiw...

if you are driving with your foot on the gas so hard that you find 4wd in
rain on pavement is the best option, then you really need a different vehicle...one that
has an AWD system and not just a part-time system like Tacoma has...

imho there is not really much need for 4wd on pavement unless you really need to
beat that guy next to you at the light in the pretend race

yes 4wd is fine to use but you may find that seals and driveline
components will be needing service a whole lot sooner than you'd expect

seriously, part-time is just that. only use when you will get stuck if
you stay in 2wd. with the 2wd mode and trac and vsc, I find the Tacoma
is quite handy in snow and slush and I only really need 4wd up steeps

on my 4runner that has awd, I just leave it in awd 24x7
You ever driven on a Texas road that has is just barely wet after not seeing rain for several weeks/months? It's almost as bad as black ice. I've almost spun out pulling out of my neighborhood while in 2WD without hardly touching the gas. 4WD can come in handy even in the rain.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
You can even try to switch it into 4WD in the rain over the recommended speed and it will just beep at you. Had a buddy driving on a roadtrip in the rain when I discovered that. He had just smashed his Mustang in the rain and got nervous and tried to put it in 4 high on the interstate....

edit- beat by the sandman.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #36
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
I am bored so....
Whats the opinion on engaging 4wd driving backwards , while moving.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #38
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Yep make sure you don't have any loss of traction while engaging. I think that could make for a bad day.
I miss the days of getting out and locking the hubs, but I guess I'm just old school.
I have a question about locking hubs, if there already locked and I'm in 4wd and I put it in 2wd do I have to get out and ulock the hubs right away or could I drive for a bit then unlock them?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #39
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigo View Post
I have a question about locking hubs, if there already locked and I'm in 4wd and I put it in 2wd do I have to get out and ulock the hubs right away or could I drive for a bit then unlock them?
You can drive. With hubs locked in 2wd its no different than having auto hubs basically. Your cv's are spinning, but aren't coupled to the the front diff.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigo View Post
You can drive for a bit before you unlock them. When I had them and did that my gas mileage went to crap.

Also hated getting out and putting them in or out in the crappy weather that dictated you needed them. Also having to have a pair of pliers around to help turn the hub in or out also sucked.

I had to have one of the hubs rebuilt on the vehicle I had that had the manual hubs but I've never had an issue with the autos.