Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Switching into 4-HI while moving?

View Poll Results: When switching into 4WD HI, do you come to a complete stop and shift into neutral?
While moving 357 88.59%
Complete stop/in neutral 46 11.41%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #61
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Op as others stated, on the fly is fine.

Also I don't understand 4 wheel drive in rain, but I guess too each his own.

And if there us snow in the road I'm in 4 wheel drive, until I hit salted streets that are just wet, silly to me not to use it if there is snow. Yes, I could probably be ok in 2 wheel drive, but I don't have anything to prove to anyone, so I'm going to use it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #62
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Also I don't understand 4 wheel drive in rain, but I guess too each his own.
Agreed
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #64
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Does not work in neutral/stopped for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #65
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhitchen View Post
definitely while moving, I think the truck actually struggles to switch into 4H when you aren't moving. 4L stopped and in neutral though, thats obvious.
My 2012 has failed to go into 4hi from a dead stop. Pisses me off. I flip the switch a couple times and then it does do so, but it pisses me off it doesn't make a positive engagement every time. And I doubt that is unusual. Pisses me off the auto 4wd is standard, should be optional. I get tired of that thing beeping at me and I doubt that is unusual, in fact it's probably usual. The manual lockers and manual xfer case always worked, every time.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
If you want to ask the experts consult the owners manual. Yes you can, below 62 mph.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Here it is off the sun visor.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #68
farbio615 is on a distinguished road
Army: 11B  enough said
Name: Adam
farbio615's Tacoma Gallery
just wanted to see if it was 4 pages of people saying the same thing
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #69
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I do not shift on the fly unless it's a emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why the hell do people use 4WD in rain ?
because you can't fix stupied
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #70
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
My 2012 has failed to go into 4hi from a dead stop. Pisses me off. I flip the switch a couple times and then it does do so, but it pisses me off it doesn't make a positive engagement every time. And I doubt that is unusual. Pisses me off the auto 4wd is standard, should be optional. I get tired of that thing beeping at me and I doubt that is unusual, in fact it's probably usual. The manual lockers and manual xfer case always worked, every time.

it needs to be in perfect sync, otherwise you need to move the truck to sync it
or try again. this is not a flaw, it is a fact of the particular system

if they designed it to engage always no matter what, go ahead and add $2000 to
the price of the truck because you'd need a re-engineered tranny and xfer case

and in fact it does always engage, you just need to be a) moving and b) changing speed and not constant accel
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #71
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Here it is off the sun visor.

Was about to post a pic of this myself
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #72
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I do not shift on the fly unless it's a emergency.

umm... you spelled stupid wrong.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #73
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
When the weather is bad I have to be in 4hi to get up my driveway (balding tires and gravel; avoiding ripping the gravel up). I have always put in the clutch shifted to 4hi slowly let out and when I get to the top do the same thing
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #74
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
stupied is as stupied does
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #75
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post
I got into a bit of a debate last night at work...

I switch into 4WD (HI) while my truck is moving.

A co-worker insists that you NEED to stop and shift into neutral when switching into 4WD (HI).

I figured I would ask the experts...

When switching into 4WD (HI), what do you usually do?

Your co-worker is full of
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #76
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
you only need to stop and go to N if
you are going to 4hi from 4lo
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #77
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
4HI in the rain.

You all sound like a friend of mine who puts it into 4HI when it sprinkles because it "makes him feel safer"

The only time I used 4HI on the pavement was when I was in the snow from my sig.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #78
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006TRDSPORT View Post
Driving at a reasonable cautious speed may help as well, some ppl think 4wd is gonna get you out of every dangerous slippery situation or make you invinsible, when it reality driving skill & experience works wonders. Would I like a 4wd one day for better off road ability? Sure I would, but it annoys me how some think they can drive like it's a sunny day because they have it. I've never had issues with a 2wd in the rain driving responsibly.
This times infinity. I used to shake my head at all the 4x4's in the ditch during the first heavy snow as I passed by in my lowered Mustang.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #79
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
It's clear that it pisses you off, and that you doubt it's unusual.

Seriously though it sometimes takes me a couple extra switching back and forth for it to engage also.

Never tried it while moving yet.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #80
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i usually do it when moving. some times if iím stopped and i know i may need it or iím going up a gravel hill that i may spin on i will go a head and put it in. but i donít put it in neutral. i have done it up to 40 and not had any problems. i think it says in the Manuel you go do it up to 60 or 65mph.