Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Switching into 4-HI while moving?

View Poll Results: When switching into 4WD HI, do you come to a complete stop and shift into neutral?
While moving 357 88.59%
Complete stop/in neutral 46 11.41%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #101
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Why read the owners manual when you can start a poll on TW?
I knew the answer. I have read the manual. This was about a difference of opinion and a small wager.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #102
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
my post was directed more at all the posts saying to read the manual, not really towards you
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #103
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
my post was directed more at all the posts saying to read the manual, not really towards you
Ah, gotcha! It's cool!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #104
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you made out
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #105
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
4x4

I switch in and out of 4x4 while on highway in snowy conditions all the time, as long as road is snow covered and not dry and you are going under 100Km/h its fine, just let off gas and switch it, 4lo yes u must be stopped and in nuetral.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #106
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd . . .
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #107
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=XXXX;6373763]You can read and do whatever you want, but in my experiences this is not true unless you like hearing evil noises from the front drive train.

If I do shift while moving it is never with any throttle or force on the tires. Next time your on a steep hill in 4x4 take it out while going down and see what happens.[/

, I just don't understand why this topic has 6 pages now. The owners manual is clear, and so is the instruction on the visor. If there was any possibility of damage toyota wouldn't put it in the manual.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #108
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=kingston73;6416099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You can read and do whatever you want, but in my experiences this is not true unless you like hearing evil noises from the front drive train.

If I do shift while moving it is never with any throttle or force on the tires. Next time your on a steep hill in 4x4 take it out while going down and see what happens.[/

, I just don't understand why this topic has 6 pages now. The owners manual is clear, and so is the instruction on the visor. If there was any possibility of damage toyota wouldn't put it in the manual.
^ I agree... there should be absolutly no question on how to shift between 2WD and 4H when it's spelled out exactly how to do it. The only thing they don't mention is to take your foot oiff the gas pedal while shifting so there's no load on the drive line... shifts smooth as butter and avoids the "clunk" noise.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #109
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Your getting enough rain to keep the roads fairly clean. Where I live it only rains every couple months, and by that time so much dirt/oil have built up on the roads they become pretty slick. Not that I make a habit of it, I have used 4x4 in the rain. It can be useful when having to pull out onto 2 lane roads with 60mph traffic to gain speed quickly without the ass end swinging around on you.
Agreed. Learned fairly early on after moving to Tucson, AZ to use 4WD for the first rain after a long dry spell. All the oil build up makes the roads nasty. Totally different story in the PacNW and the East Coast where they get enough rain every so often to keep the roads clean. I lived in Oregon for a bit and it was nice not feeling like I needed the extra traction every time it rained.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #110
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was told while moving is the preferred way to go....
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #111
Cwpick76 is on a distinguished road

Army: IT
Name: CW
Cwpick76's Tacoma Gallery
Probably already been said. Owners manual to shift into 4HI slow down to 62 mph or slower and rotate switch. To shift into 4LO bring truck to complete stop and put in neutral.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #112
TexasCub is on a distinguished road
TexasCub's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwpick76 View Post
Probably already been said. Owners manual to shift into 4HI slow down to 62 mph or slower and rotate switch. To shift into 4LO bring truck to complete stop and put in neutral.
Yup and depending on traction it may want you to slow down a little more, the 4wd light will flash and itll beep letting you know it no likey. A little quick wiggle of the wheel will often let it engage. Lived in interior Alaska for 12 years spent more time in 4wd than out , drove to work at 70 in 4wd most of the time.