Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Switching into 4-HI while moving?

View Poll Results: When switching into 4WD HI, do you come to a complete stop and shift into neutral?
While moving 357 88.59%
Complete stop/in neutral 46 11.41%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Switching into 4-HI while moving?

I got into a bit of a debate last night at work...

I switch into 4WD (HI) while my truck is moving.

A co-worker insists that you NEED to stop and shift into neutral when switching into 4WD (HI).

I figured I would ask the experts...

When switching into 4WD (HI), what do you usually do?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i think, technically you can. i know for a fact, 4lo, you have to be stopped and switch over. i just stop and do it for both anyways lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it while moving. I'm pretty sure the manual says you can as long as you are going below 50mph. I think.

But I throw mine into N then turn on the 4x4. After hearing it engage I put it back into D. I'm always going around 15mph when I do it though.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
In the manual status that you can shift from 2HI to 4HI while driving... You need to be running less than 60mph... If you shift from 4HI to 4Lo you need to stop!

That's why its called shift on the fly... (Or something like that)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
2Hi to 4Hi 62 MPH or less, like when you hit a bad patch of snow.
4Hi to 4Lo 2MPH or less, I come to a stop and drop it in 4Lo when I go wheeling & start out in 2nd. That way if I need to I can go lower without coming to a stop.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Shifting into 4hi, you need to be off the throttle, with traction on all 4 wheels(i.e. no wheel spin).
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
yep while moving.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Shifting into 4hi, you need to be off the throttle, with traction on all 4 wheels(i.e. no wheel spin).
Yep make sure you don't have any loss of traction while engaging. I think that could make for a bad day.
I miss the days of getting out and locking the hubs, but I guess I'm just old school.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I don't miss locking the hubs one bit. Always ended up dirtier when that happened.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
4HI can be selected while moving.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Quebeker
elclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the rough

Canadian Army:
Name: Clément
elclem21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
In the manual status that you can shift from 2HI to 4HI while driving... You need to be running less than 60mph... If you shift from 4HI to 4Lo you need to stop!

That's why its called shift on the fly... (Or something like that)
^^^^^^^^^^
THIS is the right answer. Just ensure you don't shift while accelerating or pulling hard (torque) and everything is fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
4Hi on the fly, every time. Then when I enter a parking lot or get ready to enter my driveway, shift back to 2Hi while still going straight and steady.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post
I got into a bit of a debate last night at work...

I switch into 4WD (HI) while my truck is moving.

A co-worker insists that you NEED to stop and shift into neutral when switching into 4WD (HI).

I figured I would ask the experts...

When switching into 4WD (HI), what do you usually do?
Both options are right. Like you I was unsure about the proper way to shift into four wheel drive.
I went to the local dealer and asked to see the service manager and ask him to explain in detail how it works and my concerns because of the switch instead of the lever I was used to.
Rule number one and most importamt. ALL four wheela have to be doing the same thing. Either moving or standing still. As long as you follow that rule you will be ok.

I live close to a real good off road area so I went and tried all options

1. moving under twenty miles an hour.

2 Stopped in Neutral

3 Backing up.

It all worked just fine. The more you use it the better it works. That is it suggested that it be engaged often.

Hope this helps. I missed my lever from the first generation but learned how to use the switch now everthing is ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I drive on the higway and switch into 4x4 any time it rains..you just have to be under 100kph..or 62 mph.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Why the hell do people use 4WD in rain ?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Read the top side of the driver side window visor it has the instructions for shifting into 4hi and 4low if you are ever unsure. But for 4hi I shift while moving all the time I just let of the gas turn the switch and away we go.

For those that still want to turn the hubs you can have them and some of the new F250's i've come across around town still have manual locking hubs which is insane for a 40K+ truck.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
x2...? I thought it was bad to use 4x4 on pavement
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
No idea? I had a co-worker tell me they did that with thier FJ everytime it rained and on pavement to boot. Didnt feel like argueing. He said he felt better connected to the road in 4x4 on pavement in the rain.