1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise Control Mod - Clutch Switch Install Tip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kulahaga, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    Hey Folks,

I just finished installing an OEM Cruise Control on my 2010 Regular Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission that had no prewiring.

All went well except for a mishap with installing the clutch switch... The wiring attached to the top of the clutch switch is rather bulky. As such, and given the tight space around where the switch is installed, the wiring becomes all balled up as you turn the switch to screw it in place.

After screwing the switch all the way in, I noticed that the wires were twisted tightly together at the top of the switch. So, I began to un-twist them to gain adequate length to attach them at the proper locations. To my dismay, both wires broke off along with the switch terminals at the top of the switch.[​IMG]

Thankfully, I was able to solder them securely back on to the switch. However, I used some new longer pieces of wire without a connector since the supplied connector isn't really necessary for a 2010 Tacoma model (See photo).

Here is a tip for anyone else installing the clutch switch:

In order to prevent this from happening again I folded the wires part way down the sides of the switch housing and secured them with electrical tape to provide strain relief if the wires became stressed by turning the switch to screw it in (See photo). In addition, if you haven't broken the wires from the switch terminals use a razor blade to remove the rubber shroud covering the wires and then tightly coil the wires and connector and tape them flat together at the top of the switch (See photo). This provides a much smaller bulk for the wires and allows screwing in the switch without stressing the wires or wire terminals of the switch. (Use only one wrap of tape to flatten the wire coil. Otherwise, getting it off again will become difficult, given the limited space around the switch for your hands.)

Use this tip and save yourself some grief...

In Addition, since I just recently completed the OEM Cruise Control mod, if any of you folks have any questions about the installation procedure, just ask!

3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

2. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    08 has a connector prewired. Sorry about your luck;)

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Is that the factory clutch switch?

4. Feb 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    This switch is a " universal" clutch disengagement switch (Part# 250-4206) as supplied with the Rostra.com cruise control kit (see photo).

[​IMG]

5. Mar 30, 2015 at 1:38 PM
    Shepdog08

Shepdog08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    265/70 R16 BF Goodrich A/T's Plasti-dipped factory wheels More to come...soon
    My 2011 did not come pre wired, however I already have have bought an OEM column switch and clutch switch. What do I need to finish the install? I put both these switches in and then realized I had no plug for the clutch switch under the dash, after taking the whole dash apart trying to find it.

6. Jul 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    TacoPalace

TacoPalace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 5 Speed 4 Cyl Access Cab
    Anyone have an answer for shepdog08? I have the same problem... There are 2 connectors under the dash next to the clutch pedal but none seem to fit the 2 pin connector on the rostra switch....

7. Sep 4, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    smoothsailing14

smoothsailing14 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 manual 4cyl
    I have a 2012 access cab with manual. I broke one wire off putting it in, and the other getting it out. Better found now rather than later.
    I have found "4" connectors wrapped up near the disengagement switch but none of them fit the supplied connector. I find the instructions for where to connect the wires too dense for me. Can someone point me, preferably with pictures, to where I attach these 2 wires?

8. Sep 4, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    smoothsailing14

smoothsailing14 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 manual 4cyl
    Sometimes it just pays to make a mistake. Looky what I found, a 5th connector, with two wires. This has to be it. Now how do I get the cover off?IMG_8411.jpg

OK, got it off, and its a fuse. Just for giggles, tried to start the truck without it, truck no go. Put the fuse back, go. Is this the right thing for the disengagement switch?

Window still doesnt work.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  9. Sep 6, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    No that is the diode for the clutch switch, I answered your other post with this diagram:

Products Discussed in

To Top