View Poll Results: Synthetic or Conventional
Synthetic 72 80.90%
Conventional 17 19.10%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Should I go to synthetic?

My truck currently has 35,000 miles on it and I am running toyota conventional 5w-20 oil. Should I go to a synthetic or heavier weight oil like 10w-30.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I started full synthetic when I bought my truck and it had 41k on it...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
My truck currently has 35,000 miles on it and I am running toyota conventional 5w-20 oil. Should I go to a synthetic or heavier weight oil like 10w-30.
You're in LA. Synthetic in the drivetrain is mostly beneficial in cold weather places. It's essential in cold weather environments, IMO. Nevertheless, synthetic would work fine for you. Synthetic has longer change periods, so you'll have to do a cost ratio. Don't go to 10w-30 for sure.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
You're in LA. Synthetic in the drivetrain is mostly beneficial in cold weather places. It's essential in cold weather environments, IMO. Nevertheless, synthetic would work fine for you. Synthetic has longer change periods, so you'll have to do a cost ratio. Don't go to 10w-30 for sure.
Ok, I just thought that 5w 20 was a little light for hot climates. I guess 5w 20 conventional is fine for where I am. Just was worried about engine wear and all that stuff, because the 5w 20 seems pretty thin to me.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
several things to consider with oil weights. I run Castrol conventional 5-30. Climate is one buy one of the main things is tolerances within the engine. Some have tight tolerances and require lighter oils. With today's engines it is probably best to err to the light side. As far as synthetic I think it is more about how often do you want to hangs it. Lighter oils also improve mpgs.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
professional trousersnake charmer
RJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJ MacReady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
RJ MacReady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
several things to consider with oil weights. I run Castrol conventional 5-30. Climate is one buy one of the main things is tolerances within the engine. Some have tight tolerances and require lighter oils. With today's engines it is probably best to err to the light side. As far as synthetic I think it is more about how often do you want to hangs it. Lighter oils also improve mpgs.
ALL very good points, however once your motor hits high mileage like mine @ 208K, i would highly recommend synth n quite possibly thicker grade such as 5W40 or 10W30.
*If you're in traffic a lot which is most of LA, also check your water pump for leaks n watch your coolant level.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
I think this topic has been burned into the ground. Someone asks everyday.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
TACAMO
dmaxryan10 is on a distinguished road

dmaxryan10's Tacoma Gallery
do it. 5w-30 synthetic is what i use.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
Ok, I just thought that 5w 20 was a little light for hot climates. I guess 5w 20 conventional is fine for where I am. Just was worried about engine wear and all that stuff, because the 5w 20 seems pretty thin to me.
My wife's Accord uses 0w 20.

But it is a synthetic blend. Freaked me out when I first head this. But that's what Honda calls for, at least in her V6 Accord.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
TACAMO
dmaxryan10 is on a distinguished road

dmaxryan10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post

But it is a synthetic blend. Freaked me out when I first head this. But that's what Honda calls for, at least in her V6 Accord.
that's that energy conserving crap haha.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

our manual recommends the same.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with the same weight oil but def switch to synthetic.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
WVTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Just traded off a '10 T4R on my '11 Taco & the 4Runner called for 0W20
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
Conventional for me, just make you change it every 4 to 5 K, u won't go wrong
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with Mobil 1 synthetic. It's good and it's $23 a jug at Walmart. You can obsess about using Redline/Amsoil/RP but it's overkill and I destroyed Redline at a 6k interval. This isn't a tick on them but the fact that my turbocharged car broke it down. Good products though.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
I would, and I have, this first thing I did when I got home after buying my truck used, was to change to Mobil 1. IMO, the GREATTEST Synthetic oil out there.
My experiance with Mobil 1, the very frist time I changed to it, I was doing to many things at once and forgot to tighten the drain plug...I know, rookie mistake, but anyway, the drain plug came out while I was traveling and it was quit a way from my destination but I didn't relize it was gone till I got to my destination and it was only after I tried to restart my car the the engine light came on, or I didn't see it before. Well I thought I FRIED the engine but I replaced the plug, bought 5 more qts of Mobil 1 and NEVER had a single problem with my engine, put 110,000 miles since that time. DO IT!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
This isn't a tick on them but the fact that my turbocharged car broke it down.
I have a hard time believing that your oil broke down due to a turbocharger, unless you had some kind of faulty turbo....
Old 03-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
marchev90 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
marchev90's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched my tacoma to Mobil 1 as well... 136k on speedo