Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Few Suspension Questions ?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
9civichatch3 will become famous soon enough
9civichatch3's Tacoma Gallery
Few Suspension Questions ?

I have done a good bit of research on suspension options for my '08 PreRunner DCSB. I am trying to match my suspension to my tire choice. I know I want to run a 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grappler. Im not looking for a "Lift" more of a rear TSB and level the front. I plan on doing the install myself. I have all the necessary tools/equipment.

That being said I have narrowed it down to:

-Bilstein 5100 F/R (Big Surprise) @ 1.75
-1.5" AAL (leaning towards Wheelers)

My questions are:
-Can I run any 1.5" AAL with my 3 Leaf Non-TSB?
-Does adding any 1.5" AAL to my 3 Leaf "fix" the TSB?
-Other than the Shocks and AAL what other parts are needed?
-Could I run 265/75/16 with 1" Spacer Lift up font? (just the level look)

I plan to search the forum, but does anyone have this setup with 265/75/16 Nitto TG ??

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Bump
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
I have done a good bit of research on suspension options for my '08 PreRunner DCSB. I am trying to match my suspension to my tire choice. I know I want to run a 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grappler. Im not looking for a "Lift" more of a rear TSB and level the front. I plan on doing the install myself. I have all the necessary tools/equipment.

My questions are:
-Can I run any 1.5" AAL with my 3 Leaf Non-TSB? aal is aal
-Does adding any 1.5" AAL to my 3 Leaf "fix" the TSB?depends on how you think about it, i like to think yes.
-Other than the Shocks and AAL what other parts are needed?nada
-Could I run 265/75/16 with 1" Spacer Lift up font? (just the level look) you can run that tire size without a spacer, but if your going to get 5100s you dont need a spacer at all

I plan to search the forum, but does anyone have this setup with 265/75/16 Nitto TG ??

Thanks,
dont rely soly on my answers
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Thanks. I may just run the 5100 @ 0.8 up front to level for now and see how I like it. I dont want too much of a wheel gap for a 265/75 tire if that makes sense.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My questions are:
-Can I run any 1.5" AAL with my 3 Leaf Non-TSB?Yes, I have the Wheelers 3 leaf 1.5" on mine.
-Does adding any 1.5" AAL to my 3 Leaf "fix" the TSB?No, I put the wheelers 3 leaf on and was not happy with the capacity. If you load up the bed it will still sag. I ended up swapping out the Toyo 2nd leaf and replaced it with Chevy, OMD!! AAL's are not a cure for carrying capacity, but if you are not carrying heavy loads it will do you fine.
-Other than the Shocks and AAL what other parts are needed?
-Could I run 265/75/16 with 1" Spacer Lift up font? (just the level look)You can run 265/75/16 stock, heck I had them while stock and my ARB weighing down on em.

Thanks,
Billies and the Wheelers 3leaf should do you fine. I had 265/75/16 Cooper ATRs while stock and now with a 3" lift {OME 886x coils up front, Wheeler's 3 leaf and OMD chevy leaf traded in for the Toyo 2nd leaf, and OME shocks}. The OMD chevy leaf replacement only gave me 1/2" more lift over the Wheeler's AAL. The rest is above
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
I was debating on 285/75 but think they will be a little too big for DD use and the fact that other than the occasional fishing/hiking trip, I dont offroad much.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
^True^
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Billies and 1.5" AAL w/ 265/75 seems to be a good match for what I want.

Thanks All !!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Your choice is good and very popular.

Might I recommend getting new coils such as Eibach or OME instead of using the stock coils. By just using the Billies with stock coils, you will be preloading the suspension, which will result in rougher ride. If you used Eibach or OME coils, you can set the Billies at 0, letting the coil give you lift, which will not preload the suspension and give a better ride.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Your choice is good and very popular.

Might I recommend getting new coils such as Eibach or OME instead of using the stock coils. By just using the Billies with stock coils, you will be preloading the suspension, which will result in rougher ride. If you used Eibach or OME coils, you can set the Billies at 0, letting the coil give you lift, which will not preload the suspension and give a better ride.
Eibachs or OME's will put him at 3" lift. OP just wants 1" to be level. With an AAL and a 3" in front, it'll be a nice bro lean
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Eibachs or OME's will put him at 3" lift. OP just wants 1" to be level. With an AAL and a 3" in front, it'll be a nice bro lean
If he keeps the Billies at 0, he is looking at 1.6" using the Eibachs. If he uses the OME 883, he will be around 1.5".

Am I incorrect in my thinking?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No I thought you meant the 885's.
'sall good.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I have billies set at 1.75 in the front on stock Sport coils and a 2 inch aal in the rear, the 2inch nearly levels the truck out when it's all said and done. Yes the ride in the front is stiffer but it's a trade-off not having the expense of doing new coils. If you don't run loads in the bed a lot you should be fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I have billies set at 1.75 in the front on stock Sport coils and a 2 inch aal in the rear, the 2inch nearly levels the truck out when it's all said and done. Yes the ride in the front is stiffer but it's a trade-off not having the expense of doing new coils. If you don't run loads in the bed a lot you should be fine.
You have any pics?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
^x2
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
I have been looking at 285/75 vs 265/75 and I think the 285/75 will be too big without a 3" lift. 90% sure I will be going with the 265/75 Terra Grapplers.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
You have any pics?
Quote:
^x2
I'll go and snap some pics a little later
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Quote:
I offroad the **** out of my 265/75's and they hold up just fine. Not to mention I get much better mpg than when I was running 285/75's.
Can you post a pic of your new 265/75 ??