1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tugging

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krp2nite, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    Krp2nite

Krp2nite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quick question. A friend was stuck the other day in the 18 inches of snow. I was trying to pull him out and was on ice, so traction sucked.. anyway during the tugging and tire spinning the abs and brake light lit up and stayed on. After quite a while and some salt on the ice for my truck, I was able to pull his car up onto the road. The lights were still on ABS and the BRAKE light. I shut it off and back on --still there. After a brief ride around the block they went off................So the question was this normal and has anyone else experienced this?

2. Feb 5, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I could see that happening on an 09 w/ brake based Traction control, but your 08' so no VSC/TRAC right? Spinning wheels should have nothing to do brakes if you arent applying them. Odd.

3. Feb 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    If you spin a newer car with the ebrake, the warning lights on the dash come on and stay there for a while... probably what happened to your truck (without the spin and ebrake part...)

4. Feb 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    I have an 05 and if you "over use" the traction control/brakes the actuators build up heat and go into a thermal shutdown. The lights will stay on during that time to let you know it's not operational during that time. I tried the DAC on my truck once and had it happen. It disengaged the DAC automatically until the actuators got cool enough to work again.

I would imagine that since you were spinning the wheels that TRAC was kicking in the actuators and if you were sliding at all to the side then VSC was also trying to do it's stuff. Try using a recovery strap next time instead of a tow strap and you might have better luck "tugging" and less slipping.

5. Feb 5, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    92.367% chance, some foreign particles obstructed one or all of the optical sensor(s).

Happened to me more often up North where there is so much iron in the soil, it's like crack cocaine for optical sensors.

A good wash behind the ears, err.. tires, and it should fix it.
    If not, you tore something up.

You ain't having fun unless you make some junk!

6. Feb 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    mine did that to! the other day when i posted my 4 wheeling pics my truck did the same thing after pulling my buddy out, and just like yours after a brief ride back on the trail they shut off

Products Discussed in

To Top