Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 wheel drive won't engage and/disengage - new Tacoma!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Derlenbusch is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
Derlenbusch's Tacoma Gallery
4 wheel drive won't engage and/disengage - new Tacoma!

Hi, I bought a new 2012 Tacoma in July. Two months ago my 4 wheel drive will not engage 100% of the time. At least once a day I can try to engage it and the light will just blink and it won't kick in. Then, I can shut it off and it will kick in, then I can't get it out of 4 wheel....
I have been tot the colorado Springs Larry H Miller dealership 6 times now. Fist they said nothin was wrong, I drove hone ten minutes later and I could not engage it again... I took it back they said the actuator plug was loose. The plugged it back in and said it was fixe. I drove home again and ten minutes later, I could not engage 4 wheel drive! I took it back, they switched out one actuator, drove home same thing. Now they are asking me if I was turning - no, I have owned two differtn Tacoma 4x4 for 13 years, one 2001 and the other a 2009, I never had this happen in either other one.
So, I take it back now they said the whole plug was hanging there.... I didn't do it, they plugged it back in and on my way home, same thing...

Three more times back tot the dealership, they say it works fine, I even showed them the light just blinking and not engaging.

Now I test drove Witt the local Toyota rep. I showed him the blocking light Nd that it would not e gnge, then he drove and could not make it happen for another 2 more hours.
Their answer is that I am trying to engage on dry pavement. That it crazy, I should be able to Knicks it in on dry payment, or patchy snowy wet roads any time. At least testing, I should be able to test it on dry payment?...

Any ideas? Thoughts? I think I have a lemon....
Dan.

Ps I have daily videos of it not working and they still can't find anything wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If it's new... it is up to them to make it work... sounds like dealer fail to me... Is there another dealer you can use? Call the Toyota Corp. regional rep and ask what you should do. Your salesman should be on your side and help you get the service manager to get it right.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to engage it any time you want. Dry pavement or not (whether or not recommended...)

I'd call toyota corporate. Or at least talk to the sales staff.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
try another dealer.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
. . . . . . . on dry pavement, running strait, it could be possible that your gears are lined up just wrong and keeping you from engaging until you turn or something otherwise happens to help line them up.

with that far cry out of the way, i would be focusing really hard on that plug. twice it was found loose/ disconnected?? somethings wrong
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Three 4WD Tacomas, over 1/4 million miles between them, and 4WD has always worked. Occasional engaging while driving straight does no harm... AWD cars have a center diff. so there is no binding while turning... driving straight there is no differential needed. The 4WD will not always pop in instantly, but just let up on the gas a tad, and "thunk" it pops in. If you are trying to go into 4WD while parked, then no... it may not go in until you begin to roll the tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Yes, I am going to a other dealer. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Also make sure you're doing it right . Most likely operator error.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
This
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Quote:
This is my third Trd Tacoma, I am confident that I am doing it correctly. No turns, under 40 and I wait 2 minutes... Not much else to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
SOunds like something was not plugged in during assembly of the truck (Transfer case actuator, Front ADD actuator). Any one of those will not engage 4wd on the truck
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon H View Post
SOunds like something was not plugged in during assembly of the truck (Transfer case actuator, Front ADD actuator). Any one of those will not engage 4wd on the truck
He says it sporatically doesn't engage , those wouldn't allow it to engage ever , no ?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derlenbusch View Post
This is my third Trd Tacoma, I am confident that I am doing it correctly. No turns, under 40 and I wait 2 minutes... Not much else to do.
Wait what ? I turn all the time while in 4wd . I never wait 2 minutes . I go over 40 mph .

It doesn't always engage . Sometimes you have to move the truck a little for it to engage . Sometimes it doesn't disengage and have to try again and again .

If you have been to the dealer multiple times and they don't see anything wrong of say its operator error . It doesn't always engage .
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i love how these electronic 4wd systems were made for convenience yet i had less trouble getting my old pickup to go in. lock hubs, hold gentle pressure on the stick till it locks in. those were the good ol days
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Quote:
Wait what ? I turn all the time while in 4wd . I never wait 2 minutes . I go over 40 mph .

It doesn't always engage . Sometimes you have to move the truck a little for it to engage . Sometimes it doesn't disengage and have to try again and again .

If you have been to the dealer multiple times and they don't see anything wrong of say its operator error . It doesn't always engage .
If it doesn't matter if I am turning or my speed, then what am I doing wrong that the light won't even turn on when I try to engage it????
This is a brand new truck, it should work.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Okay today, 3" of snow, wet roads. The 4x4 will engage buy the light does not stop blinking. Then, I can't disengage the 4 wheel drive. What a piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rake it back to Toyota and they still can't find anything wrong. They want me to trade it in and take $6k hit! That is bull shit
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derlenbusch View Post
Okay today, 3" of snow, wet roads. The 4x4 will engage buy the light does not stop blinking. Then, I can't disengage the 4 wheel drive. What a piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rake it back to Toyota and they still can't find anything wrong. They want me to trade it in and take $6k hit! That is bull shit
You are just trying to shift 2H - 4H and back to 2H , correct ?

No 4LO involved ?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Do you let off the gas, switch into 4wd, then go back on the gas? This always makes it engage for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like OP is trying to go into 4-lo lol
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
it sounds like OP is trying to go into 4-lo lol
That's why I asked