1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

locker mod issue help please!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnsredline, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Feb 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    Johnsredline

Johnsredline [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    Barcelona Red- Method Double Standards, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N intake, black headlights and raptor style grille, ICON stage 4 suspension, allpro sliders
    Ok, so i did the locker mod, and made a minor screw up. On my truck, there are two blues, one slightly lighter then the other. The pdf file states to use the lt blue, so i did and it was wrong. You need to use the thicker of the two wires.

Anyways, i removed the relay and wired everything back to stock for now (just figured out i had used the wrong wire)

Well, when i returned everything back to stock my 4lo no longer works. No click, no flashing lights, no beeping if i try to engage in drive. nothing at all, as if the switch is just disconnected.

Have any of your ran in to this issue? Is it a problem with my switch or what?

2. Feb 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    Johnsredline

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    Barcelona Red- Method Double Standards, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N intake, black headlights and raptor style grille, ICON stage 4 suspension, allpro sliders
    after troubleshooting for awhile i figured it out, if you hook up the wrong blue wire (thin one instead of thicker gauge) you will blow one of the diodes within the 4wd switch.

I took it apart and de-soldered it, went to radioshack and tried to find the same size but they didnt have one so I just got one that was pretty close. Soldered it in and all is good!

And Just fyi, if you ever burn up your switch its 53 dollers at the dealer, I was going to order one but after taking it apart there is nothing but two diodes in the switch. Easy fix.

3. Feb 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    Glad you figured it out, that was a fast repair too! Did you use the factory wiring diagrams or just wing it? I know the Chilton book doesn't get that detailed.

4. Feb 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    Johnsredline

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    I work on electrical stuff for a living, the locker mod only deals with one plug, so its not too complicated. I just winged it (other then using a multimeter to determine which blue wire was the right one)

Products Discussed in

To Top