Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pre-runner vs. X-Runner?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Pre-runner vs. X-Runner?

What's the difference? I suspect that my Taco is a X-runner or some sort but I'm not sure. How can I tell? I know this seem to be the dumbest question but I have to ask. Fairly new to the taco world.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
you've got neither of those...you have a trd sport 4x4...might I ask how you ended up buying a truck before you even knew anything about it?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
The Xrunner has more frame bracing, 18" wheels, it is lowered about an inch, ground effects kit, and the Xrunner has a different final drive ratio.

You do not have either of the two.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
x runner is low to the ground 2wd. Are x runners 5 or 6 lug?

pre runner has 4wd suspension but is only 2wd.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
6 lug = 4x4
Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post

pre runner has 4wd suspension but is only 2wd.
X-runners are 5 luggers, have a body kit and an X-brace for the rear to stiffen the frame.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
6 lug = 4x4
Not necessarily, Prerunners are 6 lug and 2wd...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
you've got neither of those...you have a trd sport 4x4...might I ask how you ended up buying a truck before you even knew anything about it?

I know I know!!! I wasn't thinking too much of a truck but ended up buying it kinda deal.

I was looking at an upscale SUV instead but ended up with this TACO as an offer by the stealership ! I hope that answers your question.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not necessarily, Prerunners are 6 lug and 2wd...
This
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post

I know I know!!! I wasn't thinking too much of a truck but ended up buying it kinda deal.

I was looking at an upscale SUV instead but ended up with this TACO as an offer by the stealership ! I hope that answers your question.
Yeah i just found it odd that someone would buy a truck before knowing what it was. I guess those terms don't matter to you though.

Like they have said before, the main difference is suspension.

Xrunners have a completely different front suspension compared to a prerunner. where a prerunner has the same suspension as a 4x4 but is only 2wd.

i have a 5lug base model which suspension wise is almost the same as an xrunner except for the shocks/struts/coils

xrunners also get their name from the x brace which is like an x at the rear of the frame for stiffness
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
I lol'd a little. You got neither as everyone said.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
The Xrunner has more frame bracing, 18" wheels, it is lowered about an inch, ground effects kit, and the Xrunner has a different final drive ratio.

You do not have either of the two.
Now I know . TRD Sport it is.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
Yeah i just found it odd that someone would buy a truck before knowing what it was. I guess those terms don't matter to you though.

Like they have said before, the main difference is suspension.

Xrunners have a completely different front suspension compared to a prerunner. where a prerunner has the same suspension as a 4x4 but is only 2wd.

i have a 5lug base model which suspension wise is almost the same as an xrunner except for the shocks/struts/coils

xrunners also get their name from the x brace which is like an x at the rear of the frame for stiffness
Obviously not as you can tell . I was shoping online and the only trim options listed are BASE, PRERUNNER, OR X-RUNNER. Does that mean the TRD Off-Roads and TRD Sports are out of the question?

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-31-10114-A...ma+accessories
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
X-Runner = lowered 5-lug 2WD with 18" rims and a rear swaybar.
Pre-Runner = 2WD 6-lug with 4x4 suspension
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post
Obviously not as you can tell . I was shoping online and the only trim options listed are BASE, PRERUNNER, OR X-RUNNER. Does that mean the TRD Off-Roads and TRD Sports are out of the question?

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-31-10114-A...ma+accessories
For most accessories, select Prerunner.
The only difference is your 4x4 has a transfer case and front driveline.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
What you have is a damn nice truck, congratulations
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Very much appreciated, Rich.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure2Comply View Post
What you have is a damn nice truck, congratulations
Thanks, Failure2Comply.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
X-Runner

Pre-Runner

Base

Everyone pretty much pointed out what the main difference the X-Runner is from everyone else except mentioning the X-Runner is only available with a 6 speed manual and in Access Cab/Long bed configuration.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
this was pretty helpful...I have always wondered what the exact differences were...

Products Discussed in this Thread