1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide which package please!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by johnmichael125, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    johnmichael125

johnmichael125 [OP] mikeD1Esel

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West Point, NY
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Alright guys/gals, I'm getting ready to deploy back to Afghanistan, and well the wifey says when I get back I get my taco!

So I'm trying to decide which package to get

Sr5
    Offroad TRD
    Sport TRD
    Limited

Now honestly what I'm wanting out of this truck is 4x4. I want to lift it and put some bigger wheels/tires on it. Maybe a few other mods. Basically I'm just wanting to get it to look better and do some off road.

I've never really been into either, but hey everyone needs a new hobby.

What would you guys suggest as far as packages go?

With a 3'' or more is it worth it to get the upgraded suspension in the trds or just get the sr5 and do the suspension myself?

I know with the TRDs the interior gets some upgrades, a lot of which I could live without, but is there anything technically with them that would be better off having than not.

Price really isn't an issue I could go all the way for the gold and get the limited package, but if its not worth it why waste the money ya know?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm not all too familiar as you are with the taco so I'm just trying to make an educated decision.

thanks guys!

2. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    it has to be a 4x4 TRD offroad

anything else will tag you as a wee bit light in the loafers

backup cam is a crutch, but man it really makes ball hookup a breeze

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    It sounds like you would happier with an SR5 but also make sure you get the tow package! It's well worth the money and not easy to add after.

4. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Supercharger.

5. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    If money isn't an issue get a sr5 with tow package add arb air lockers, old man emu or coil over lift.

6. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Depends on what you want the most. TRD Off road only comes in a short bed but has locking diff and ATRAC. IMO a 3" lift or greater looks awesome on the long beds. The JBL Stereo offered is a great stereo if you don't want to go aftermarket. The sport has color keyed bumpers and mirrors and I think looks cleaner. You could go SR5 and do it all yourself but the seats, interior and other options I think are worth the cost. If you would prefer a short bed I would definitely go with the Off Road package. If you want a long bed like I did I would get the Sport. You can always get aftermarket locking differentials later. ATRAC is awesome but only offered with the short bed off road package. I am not an extreme off roader so the ATRAC didn't change my mind over the long bed. The limited offers different wheels which to me wasn't worth the cost but still look nice. The Nav/Entune system is nice to have but not essential but I got it and am not disappointed. Hope this helped and didn't add more indecisiveness.

7. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No.

Yes.

No.

Yes but nix Old Man Emu and get King, Icon, or Fox suspension. Old Man Emu is fine for leaf springs. Their Dakars are spiffy.

It's okay. It's certainly not on par with lockers and it's close to useless in anything but dry conditions...i.e. it's no help in mud, snow, wet rock, etc.

OP - Get an SR5 with tow package and build it. The 10 or so thousand you save off the TRD package prices will go much further as aftermarket modifications.

Only real advantages the Offroad offers are a factory locker and hill descent assist. The locker is in a weaker axle than the one the SR5 has, and hill descent only helps sometimes....low range, low gear is often better.

Better to get the SR5 an add ARB aftermarket lockers. You're gonna need to add a compressor for onboard air anyway, and 3500 for lockers is much less than the cost increase to the TRD Offroad.

TRD Offroad doesn't have most of what you'll REALLY need for offroad adventures...better tires, better suspension, armor, gears, tools, spare parts, recovery gear...all this has to come aftermarket regardless of which package you get, so get the inexpensive one and save money for the real needs.

8. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    That's a little more than a few mods. The SR5 may be the best way to get the ultimate off road truck while saving money for the additional mods, but if you just want to lift it and make a decent off road truck for the hobbyist while having an equally awesome daily driver, I guess it depends on what you ultimately want the truck for.

9. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Are we talking about off roading or dirt roading? For some reason, TW often confuses the two terms and thinks they're identical.

If you want to wheel, as a hobbyist, you're gonna need everything I listed. That's a light mod list. You *could* do without the gears, but your experience will be much more pleasant with them. In any event, if you aren't going to do this stuff as a minimum, you're going to be doing dirt roads with potholes and not much else.

Hell, I'm not even talking about middle level stuff like axle swaps, dual cases, cages and such.

10. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    soldierguy

soldierguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab 4X4 V6 6MT
    I'm happy with my SR5. No extra stuff that I didn't want or need. I got rid of the steel wheels and stock tires, but that's about it. The tow package is good to have, as is the backup camera...I use my backup camera every day backing into parking spots, my garage, or hooking up a trailer. For the most part, I like simple stuff though...I don't much care for NAV, automatic transmissions, leather heated seats, power everything, etc.

11. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    johnmichael125

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West Point, NY
    Vehicle:
    Wow you guys are awesome!

I'm thinking I'll go for the SR5. I can install an upgraded stereo myself and get exactly what I want out of that. I am a complete novice when it comes to 4x4 and trucks. I think I could get into it. Basically I'm looking for a hobby, and something to dump some money in. I'm completely stupid when it comes to vehicles, and what kind of man are you if you can't fix your own vehicle.

For a beginner off roader do you all think 6 speed or automatic? I personally like 6 speed. (I have a jetta TDI right now) But if automatic is better I can just get it.

Now, something I really do want is an exhaust...What are your guys experience as far as throaty and thunder haha.

So I think you guys have helped me greatly, on just getting the SR5.

Now....where is the best/cheapest place for lift kits, wheels/tires, exhaust, etc.

What do you guys think about turbo or anything? I'm just trying to figure out what things I want to put on my purchase list based on your guy's recommendations.

12. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    You should search the forum for some of these questions. Unless you want to waste gobs of money, I recommend taking a couple months to just *read* before getting into purchase mode.

Re: Manual vs. Automatic, offroad activity is generally much more pleasant with an auto in these trucks. There's essentially no downside other than the tranny being a bit more work to change fluid on.

Stay away from turbochargers/superchargers for offroad use. They decrease reliability due to increased engine stresses. You're after torque, not horsepower.

13. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    johnmichael125

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West Point, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I have honestly been reading these forums for over a year, just never posted. I was stationed in Germany and didn't want to waste time asking questions on a vehicle I couldn't get there.

I do like the "look" of the Sport Package just for the hood scoop. It's just sexy. I'm just wanting to do a little weekend off roading and learning when it comes to vehicles.

I will just start surfing into the other forums for more answers.

14. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get a Baja edition. It comes with upgraded suspension with a little lift. You can upgrade the tires to 33"s and you'll still be under factory warranty.

You won't have to worry about drive line vibrations or shudders.

Yes you could build it yourself, but the price difference ends up being negligible once you take everything into account.

15. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    TRD offroad. OME lift, new wheels, 285's, front bumper, rear bumber, sliders, skids, winch.

16. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    He is right the price difference would be negligible but if you go with the sr5 you can build it to your needs and have better suspension.

17. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    johnmichael125

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West Point, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I think I'd just go SR5 and do the upgrades myself.

The tires and wheels are nice, but I think I'd be better off doing the work myself.

I'm also trying to learn how to do some of this stuff myself

18. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    By the time you spend Baja money on an SR5, you've got twice the truck for the same money.

Agreed. As bove.

Good man. Also it's worth noting the suspension on the Baja edition is thoroughly half-assed.

19. Feb 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    johnmichael125

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West Point, NY
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully come next Christmas I can resurrect this thread with pictures of my brand new 2014 taco looking all spiffy!

20. Feb 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    This

Products Discussed in

To Top