Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinions on roof rack systems on cab or cap?

View Poll Results: Roof racks on top of truck cab or cap?
Truck Cab 2 33.33%
Truck Cap 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
ksands is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
ksands's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on roof rack systems on cab or cap?

Hi All,
I have a 2013 Tacoma and plan on ordering a Leer 100XR cap this week and also want a roof rack of some type to carry 2 kayaks. My question is do I have a Thule Tracker II installed from the Leer factory when I order the cap or Do I buy the clamp on type for over the cab? or should I get the factory Toyota ones that mount on the cab? What looks better, holds more weight and is more convenient to get kayaks on and off? I need your input. Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
'Yotas Til Death
MikeD VT is on a distinguished road

Name: MikeD
MikeD VT's Tacoma Gallery
The Thule Tracker II is nice and can hold some weight; but if you have sea kayaks, you might think about a rack on both (cap and cab). White water kayaks, no problem; but sea kayaks are long, right? The spread on you're cap rack might be 5'. Then what would the over-hang be?
I'd think about adding at least one more cross bar on the front of the cab. This way you wouldn't have too much hanging off the rear. If you went with Tracker II all the way around, it would look good and secure the boat the best.
My 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
This is my set up with 16' long finishing material on it , I don't think a kayak would be any worse

Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
OZ-T,

What kind of rack is that you have on your cap and how is it attached to the landing pads (feet) on your tracks?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
OZ-T,

What kind of rack is that you have on your cap and how is it attached to the landing pads (feet) on your tracks?
It's a DeWalt Pro Rack , it was a factory installed set up option on my LEER 100RCC commercial cap

There are no tracks , the roof is reinforced to carry 400 lbs and the rack mounts bolt directly through the roof at hard points
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I posted the pic to show what 16' long material ( or a kayak ) would look like supported on rails roughly 5' apart
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
'Yotas Til Death
MikeD VT is on a distinguished road

Name: MikeD
MikeD VT's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This is my set up with 16' long finishing material on it , I don't think a kayak would be any worse

Good to go!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #10

ksands's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Cap.

I too had a custom built top with a reinforced roof rated at roughly 400 lbs with tracks installed at the factory. My cap is the Snugtop XV. Rack system is Yakima. Have carried lots up there including 2 kayaks; 1 kayak and bike; camp gear; ice chests; tire; fuel; dead deer; etc..
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

ksands's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
DanielH is on a distinguished road
DanielH's Tacoma Gallery
GuapOh, are you lifted at all? Can't tell if that's a 2" lift of stock.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #14
Gaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaston is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dean
Gaston's Tacoma Gallery
I vote cab, the weight distribution just seems better.

Mounts to the factory roof nuts, so super clean installation. I maintain the full use oft my bed with a collapsible shell.