1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for Bull Bar owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by imartin, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    imartin

imartin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    I'm thinking of a bull bar for my 2013 Tacoma DCSB. does the bull bar replace the factory skid plate? Is it one or the other? Thanks, new to TW. Great forum!

2. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    The one i have does not replace the skid plate,,its an unknown brand i got off craigslist

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    ssmith29440

ssmith29440 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TxPro Trd
    i had a DeeZee bull bar with PIAA lights installed. factory skid plate was not removed. i have a 2012 taco ma tx pro trd. call your dealership and speak to one of the service personel. youll find theyre not a lot of bull bar fans on this site.

4. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Mine is a Westin. Didn't need to remove the skid. Idk why some instructions say that it needs to be removed. Same with the brush guard my brother got. Still has his skid on too.

5. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I have a factory bull bar (dealer add-on that's actually made by Westin). I did not have to remove my TRD Off Road skid plates to install it. However, if you have the Toyota accessories skid plate (shown here) I believe it'll have to be removed in order to install the bull bar.

6. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Mine is still on :notsure:

7. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Good to know! I thought I remember the mounting instructions that came with mine saying that the skid plate had to go (I bought it back in '06, so my memory may be failing me). I do remember having to remove my front tow hook, however.

8. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    imartin

imartin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    Thanks all! Sounds like mainly no need to remove plate, but depends on brand. I'm looking at the Steelcraft, so went to their site to find: Tacoma (*Doesn't fit with factory skid plate)" Thanks again.

9. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    timcrice

timcrice Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    New Hartford, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 I4 4x4 SR5 Stock
    not yetttt....on warranty
    2011 Access sr5- Most of this has been said, but specific model types never hurt, right? I installed a Westin ultimate bullbar with KC slimlites and everything fit perfectly. I did not need to remove factory skid plate.

Also if you need a front license plate in your state, you shant need to buy the license plate re-locator bracket. I did, and when I mounted the bar to the truck, it actually left the plate a little lower than it was on the bumper. (the re-locator is supposed to raise the plate.) So I recommend saving yourself the 20 or so dollars.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top