Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blisten shocks worth it?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
dwater is on a distinguished road
Navy:
dwater's Tacoma Gallery
Blisten shocks worth it?

Ok so I recently purchased a taco I traded my non 4x4 for a 4x4 Tacoma which wasn't the off road edition. Now my buddy with an off road lifted his truck at 38k and he has the blisten shocks laying around. My question is, is it worth taking his shocks and installing it on my taco? Will I get a little bit of a lift? And will the ride quality be noticeable? He is selling them for 80$ by the way is this a worth it upgrade?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like his billsteins are the factory billsteins from the TRD models.
Basically you won't get any lift, but the springs are going to be progressive vs the linear coils you have now, giving ( from what I've read) a slightly softer ride on road
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwater View Post
Ok so I recently purchased a taco I traded my non 4x4 for a 4x4 Tacoma which wasn't the off road edition. Now my buddy with an off road lifted his truck at 38k and he has the blisten shocks laying around. My question is, is it worth taking his shocks and installing it on my taco? Will I get a little bit of a lift? And will the ride quality be noticeable? He is selling them for 80$ by the way is this a worth it upgrade?

No, you will not get any sort of lift. Shocks do not "lift" the truck.

Would you be able to tell a difference? Not sure because no one knows the condition/mileage of your current shocks or the ones your buddy has...

If both sets were brand new, I wouldn't waste my time swapping them.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Navy:
dwater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post

Would you be able to tell a difference? Not sure because no one knows the condition/mileage of your current shocks or the ones your buddy has...

If both sets were brand new, I wouldn't waste my time swapping them.
Thanks yea his had about 38k and right now my taco has 19k so if its not going to make a difference I'm just going to keep my shocks thanks for the input guys
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take 'em if I were you.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a used set of blistiens and could notice a good difference.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Navy:
dwater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
I installed a used set of blistiens and could notice a good difference.
Ok so is the install as easy as changing shocks on a Honda? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid wiestion
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post

Not entirely true. If it is the adjustable Bilsteins then it would...
Old 02-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea the back super easy. Front you will need spring compressors
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Navy:
dwater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Yea the back super easy. Front you will need spring compressors
Even if its the full shocks? Is there a write up on this?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

I'm sure there is. If the coils are still on the front shocks than it will be a easy job. Just use search tab for instructions.