Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: Color Matched Rebadge

Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Pilot68 will become famous soon enough
Name: Jared
Pilot68's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Color Matched Rebadge

I decided to color-match my badges and figured I'd do a DIY for fun. I know its a pretty simple job but what the heck. Theres more than one way to skin a cat but this is how I did it.

Supplies you'll need:
*Fishing Line
*Knife
*Painter Tape
*3M double-sided automotive tape
*3M adhesive remover
*Matte Clear Coat
*Dupli-Color Spray Paint - Metallic Gray
*Rubbing Alcohol
*Sand Paper
*Towels/Paper Towels

Step 1: Start with a clean truck. Spray 3M adhesive remover behind the badge. Wipe off the overspray with a paper towel and let it soak in for a few minutes. Slide the fishing line behind the badge and work it through the glue behind the badge. Apply more 3M adhesive remover if need be.

Step 2: Place some painters tape above the emblem so you can reapply it in the same place. I placed a strip touching the glue marks and then one above it so I could clean the area.

Step 3: Spray some more 3M adhesive remover on the remaining glue and scrap off with your finger until clean. Wipe the area down with rubbing alcohol to ensure a completely clean surface and for proper bonding of the new double-sided tape. Let it dry before re-applying.

Step 4: Spray adhesive remover on the back of the badge and remove the rest of the glue. A wire brush may come in handy. After its clean, rinse with rubbing alcohol and then water.

Step 5: Sand the badges as much as possible. Dont skimp out here. The rougher the surface, the better the paint will adhere. Also, dont forget the edges... Its where the paint will want to peel!

Step 6: Apply the 3M double-sided automotive tape to the back of the badge. Keep it one piece as much as possible. You want to avoid a lot of small pieces. Using a knife, carefully cut along the edges just inside the badge.

Step 7: Spray the badge with the spray paint. Remember to start spraying before you get to the badge, not on top of the badge. Use smooth consistant strokes and spray evenly at all angles. Let dry and give it another coat or two.

Step 8: Once the paint is dry, repeat the process with the clear coat. I generally run the can under hot water for a minute or two.

Step 9: Remove the backing on the tape and press the badge back on the truck using the tape guide you applied earlier.

Admire your handy work!

Before for reference:

Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
That looks really good!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
mmm Tacos
Swordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of light

Swordknives's Tacoma Gallery
How good is the color match up close and in person?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job, this is exactly how i did mine with the strips of 3M tape, cut the excess off and paint before you peel the backing. Mine is holding up great and its been over a year. I went gloss black on my MGM but the color match looks awesome. A hair dryer will help get the badge off, just dont go crazy with the heat.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Pilot68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordknives View Post
How good is the color match up close and in person?
Its pretty close to an exact match... I got it at pep-boys. Ill try to find the color code when I get back in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Nice job, this is exactly how i did mine with the strips of 3M tape, cut the excess off and paint before you peel the backing. Mine is holding up great and its been over a year. I went gloss black on my MGM but the color match looks awesome. A hair dryer will help get the badge off, just dont go crazy with the heat.
Thanks! A hair dryer would probably make it easier. I was skeptical paying $10 for the 3M adhesive remover but figured I could use it for other things down the road. Im glad I did... It was like cutting through butter with a warm knife.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mgm is 1g3
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
Nice attention to detail! My only suggestion would be to use an adhesion promoter before throwing down the paint.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous View Post
My only suggestion would be to use an adhesion promoter before throwing down the paint.
X2, its almost impossible to sand every nook and crannie, i used adhesion promoter on the badges and chrome grill and i have had no problem with peeling or chipping
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Pilot68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous View Post
Nice attention to detail! My only suggestion would be to use an adhesion promoter before throwing down the paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
X2, its almost impossible to sand every nook and crannie, i used adhesion promoter on the badges and chrome grill and i have had no problem with peeling or chipping
Good call... I havent had any peel (did it on my trailblazer and it lasted a few years without incident) but maybe I'll do that to the badges on the tailgate and add that step in the DIY.