Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 rear view camera mod?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
lokeye is on a distinguished road

lokeye's Tacoma Gallery
09 rear view camera mod?

So one of my trucks is the 09 2wd with the rear view camera in the tailgate handle. I did the mod and added the mirror with the lcd display... works awesome. Now here is my idea..(I'm hoping someone else has done it already!)... Can the reverse switch be bypassed so the camera is on full time? Not just when you throw it into reverse.

Anyone got a wiring diagram? I'm thinking I can jump out power at the mirror connector and send it directly to the camera and lcd sreen.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
I would rather have a switch to turn it on and off instead of it being on all the time.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Tacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of light

Tacoma-09's Tacoma Gallery
I would go for the switch option! How about while we are about it have it connect to a TV/DVD receiver ?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
zuter will become famous soon enough
zuter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeye View Post
So one of my trucks is the 09 2wd with the rear view camera in the tailgate handle. I did the mod and added the mirror with the lcd display... works awesome. Now here is my idea..(I'm hoping someone else has done it already!)... Can the reverse switch be bypassed so the camera is on full time? Not just when you throw it into reverse.

Anyone got a wiring diagram? I'm thinking I can jump out power at the mirror connector and send it directly to the camera and lcd sreen.
Mine also has the camera but not operational...no lcd mirror. How costly was it to buy and what was required to install it?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Check out TRDparts4u.com and look for it there... should be much cheaper than a normal dealer...
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post

I like the switch idea!!
X2..... But I have no camera....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought about this as well, if someone can figure it out that would be great!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
That's the first problem you need to solve....
How can I when you won't trade?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
JC870 is on a distinguished road

JC870's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This sounds similar to the in dash dvd player only working in park problem. I believe the fix to get around that is to wire it into a relay switch (pick up at your local radio shack), which a buddy of mine did in his old T100. I would think the same concept would apply - hope that helps... I'll try to see what I can find.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #13

lokeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuter View Post
Mine also has the camera but not operational...no lcd mirror. How costly was it to buy and what was required to install it?
300.00 to my door (ebay). Gentex co. makes them for Toyota. 5 min install time!

So who has a wiring diagram?... the switch is the easy part, just need to know what is what in the connector at the mirror. I suppose I can get in there with a meter, but a line diagram would be soooo much easier.

I'm gonna make this happen one way or another.. I'll keep everyone posted ...
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #14

JC870's Tacoma Gallery
This site looks to be pretty helpful... worth a shot to check it out at least. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~110467~PN~1
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed99 View Post
I would rather have a switch to turn it on and off instead of it being on all the time.
I agree.
If it's on all the time it would be too much of a distraction.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #16

lokeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I agree.
If it's on all the time it would be too much of a distraction.

Is your rearview mirror a distraction?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #17

JC870's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is your rearview mirror a distraction?

Good point... could be for some until the new wears off i guess
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #18

lokeye's Tacoma Gallery
My hood scoop was quite the distraction for a while!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #19
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
why would you want it on all the time or when going forwards anyways?

id like to hook a camera in front and switch it into the mirror as well. ultimate parallel parking tool then....or to scare people at red lights
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #20

lokeye's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=RoyB;380136]why would you want it on all the time or when going forwards anyways?

I use my rearview mirror going forward all the time... (i.e. changing lanes, pulling out of parking spaces,...).. don't you? Its like having a wide angle rear view mirror.. just makes your viewing area that much better.

I have one in my 06 (one of those $99 wal-mart ones). It is on all the time and is not a distraction. Very usefull for seeing those mini coopers tailgating and for trailer towing!