Notices

Road Trip Question - Would you???

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
SpruceJPG is on a distinguished road

Name: .JPG
SpruceJPG's Tacoma Gallery
Road Trip Question - Would you???

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to get some other Taco owner opinions on a subject...

I have a 2013 DCLB with 1200ish miles on it. I've pretty much babied it so far, keeping it under 3k rpms except for 1 or 2 times I needed to gun it due to traffic conditions.

With a truck this new, would you take it on a 2000 mile road trip? I would be driving from MD to FL, so approximately 1k miles each way, straight down interstate 95.

If I set cruise control at 70 and aimed it south, do you think that many highway miles on an engine this new would be a bad thing? I'd be leaving late tomorrow night, so any thoughts would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
It's a brand new vehicle, why wouldn't it be ok to drive it?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Hell yeah I would
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drive it if I felt I needed a truck for the trip or it was all I had. If I didn't need the truck i'd take my wife's Honda to save on gas.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
You should be ok, besides your toyota should've came with Toyota care roadsire assistance. I see no problem there, have fun!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yup
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Take it... Its a Tacoma.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
She will be ready for a few more of those road trips after that one, go for it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Balot64 is on a distinguished road

Navy: ASC
Balot64's Tacoma Gallery
You should be good, I drove my 2012 offroad from Florida to California for two and half days with only 500+ miles in odometer.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
SpruceJPG is on a distinguished road

Name: .JPG
SpruceJPG's Tacoma Gallery
My only hesitation is the mindset of a proper engine break-in procedure. Some people say keep it under 60mph, under 3k rpms, vary driving speeds for 5k miles, yada yada yada, while others just say drive it like ya stole it!

The trip would either be in the Tacoma, or an 06 Subaru Legacy. I've done the drive in the Legacy before, and my back was killing me by the NC border from those seats, so would prefer the Taco in that regard.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceJPG View Post
My only hesitation is the mindset of a proper engine break-in procedure. Some poeple say keep it under 60mph, under 3k rpms, vary driving speeds for 5k miles, yada yada yada, while others just say drive it like ya stole it!

The trip would either be in the Tacoma, or an 06 Subaru Legacy. I've done the drive in the Legacy before, and my back was killing me by the NC border from those seats, so would prefer the Taco in that regard.
Pretty sure the "break in" mentality is outdated, and not really necessary this day in age.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
absolutely..drive it.

no better way to shake down the new truck than a roadtrip. any issues pop up..warranty!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
mmm Tacos
Swordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of light

Swordknives's Tacoma Gallery
sure i would
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Pretty sure the "break in" mentality is outdated, and not really necessary this day in age.
Than why does the owners manual tell you to break it in i have a 13' and break in info is on page 132 of the owners manual for the first 200 mile avoid sudden stops for the first 500 miles do not tow for the first 1000 miles do not drive at exsesive speeds avoid sudden acceleration do not drive continuously in low gears do not drive slowly with the manual tranny in a high gear do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods etc. hope this helps
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
Took my 2011 with less than 3000 miles on a trip from Las Vegas, to Memphis, to Ft. Lauderdale, back to Memphis, and to Las Vegas, about 6000 mi. Drove from Las Vegas to Memphis in 16 hours. Truck ran great and is still doing great. It has 24,000 on it now. Not a bit of a problem. I also averaged 22 miles to the gallon on that trip.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
That's what you bought it for. Put the miles on her.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
tsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to behold

tsup74's Tacoma Gallery
Vehicles don't have the same break in period of those years back. After 600+ miles you can beat the snot out of it.

Take the trip!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Than why does the owners manual tell you to break it in i have a 13' and break in info is on page 132 of the owners manual for the first 200 mile avoid sudden stops for the first 500 miles do not tow for the first 1000 miles do not drive at exsesive speeds avoid sudden acceleration do not drive continuously in low gears do not drive slowly with the manual tranny in a high gear do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods etc. hope this helps
So incase something random breaks they can put the blame on the owner.