Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
sfleischer82 is on a distinguished road
sfleischer82's Tacoma Gallery
Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

Ok guys, first time truck owner as of Saturday here. I just read a lot of threads and information about bed covers and installation with the factory rails so here's my question. Hopefully it hasn't been beaten like a dead horse.

If I want to keep the factory rails installed, what type of hard folding cover would you recommend?

From my research, it seems like the TonnoPro HardFold Tri Fold Tonneau Cover - HF-550 would work well. It's cost effective, easy to install and comes with simple utility track brackets to add onto the track to be able to clamp it on. Any other recommendations?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Bakflip tri-fold is what I'm looking at getting for mine when the time comes. I want something that uses existing rails and is low profile and this one seems to check out.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
fjhutch is on a distinguished road
Name: Hutch
fjhutch's Tacoma Gallery
I Purchased the Fold a cover G4 Elite. While installation is not simple, it keeps the bed dry and you can even leave the factory cleats in the bed rails.

I am happy with it.
Hutch
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I got an extang solid fold. I love the cover, not 100% water proof.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Thanks guys. I'm not in a rush so I hope to hear a bunch of different opinions. The TonnoPro HardFold is cheaper and seems pretty simple. It comes with these bracket clamps you put in the rails and then clamp onto them.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Bakflip F1 and really like it. Dry, easy to fold and hold in the up position with the struts, quality product, very happy with it even though it was not the cheapest. $700 plus last year at AutoAnything
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I have the Advantage Hard Hat - very lightweight and easy to use. Uses existing rails. I can put it on in <2 minutes.

It's a bit expensive but I like the combination of tri-fold + looks like soft tonneau leather.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I put a lot of thought into what cover will work best for me (tri-fold, hard, roll up), I chose an Access Limited roll up cover.

It's probably the smartest addition to my nearly 1 year old truck.

http://www.agricover.com/access/limited/

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1582A0A0.aspx
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
nharleydon is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
nharleydon's Tacoma Gallery
Hard Folding Tonneau Cover

I have owned the Under Cover brand for the last 4 years. It has not faded or warped. Plus I can remove it or re-install it on my own because it's light. Can't be beat for a solid cover!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
What ever you do, shop around. Auto anything will match, and beat by a dollar.

I got mine for $130 cheaper then anywhere listed, free shipping.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
over60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
over60's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
I put a lot of thought into what cover will work best for me (tri-fold, hard, roll up), I chose an Access Limited roll up cover.

It's probably the smartest addition to my nearly 1 year old truck.

http://www.agricover.com/access/limited/

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1582A0A0.aspx
+1 on the Access Roll-up..... Gives ya more room in the box if'n ya need it..
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the G4 fold-a-cover. Couldn't be happier with it. It's a solid cover, keeps things secure with the locking panels and the footmans loop keeps the tailgate from being opened with the cover closed. As mentioned above you can also use the bed rails and cleats. If you need the full bed it only takes 5-10 mins to remove the cover completely.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Thanks. I wanted a hard cover for more protection. Yeah, someone could take a crowbar to it, but it's more of a deterrent than just vinyl.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Did a lot of research on this one before purchase. G4 Elite and Extang Solid Fold were last choices. Both are more secure than any of the others that I saw. Several only take a hangar and seconds to open. G4 is more secure, but takes a little time to remove and not so simple installation. Extang doesn't secure with keys, but removes and installs in just a couple of minutes. Went with Extang for price and ease of use. Had for 6 months and with one additional weather strip don't have any leaking so far. Got a great deal from Truck Alterations after telling Luke I was TW member. Added a Pop & Lock to get full security.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/truck-alterations/
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfleischer82 View Post
Thanks. I wanted a hard cover for more protection. Yeah, someone could take a crowbar to it, but it's more of a deterrent than just vinyl.
I've always had the vinyl roll ups and while they are more versatile they don't offer security obviously and they are a pain to try to stretch and snap in the colder weather. The G4 also offers a folding/locking front panel for easy access to the front of the bed
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
stea is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: retired
stea's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

+1 on the fold a cover g4. Love mine. After skiing I can lock the skis up and go to dinner without worrying about them. Longer stuff you just fold it up and use the bed.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on getting the undercover flex and a pop and lock tailgate lock. As soon as I have the cash! This is the one I want. ....http://www.flex-cover.com/faq.php
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Can you keep the factory rails on with Extang Solid Fold?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Love my G4 elite. No leaks unless I use a high pressure hose on the seams of the cover. Locks on both end and with the pop and lock, it is secure enough from prying eyes.

Products Discussed in this Thread