1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P/U Trucks & Competitive Market

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by folmonty, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Feb 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    Frissen

Frissen Well-Known Member

Member:
    My choice came dow to size, because in central Mexico is hard to manouver around thus the mid size choice and the Taco is way better than the rest despite upcoming revamp but when it comed down to full size the F150 is, I believe, best in class :D

2. Feb 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I love my Taco, but if I ever need a full size, it will be a f150 for sure.

3. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I cant get past when you close the doors on the F150 the sheet metal looks like it caves in and the side mirror is ready to fall off even on the brand spanking new ones.

4. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm well aware of where the pickup market went 20 years ago, thanks. That doesn't mean I approve.

Oh, you can have them. Lots to choose from. They're called cars.

When do you think the car was invented?

+Rep.

For what it's worth, I agree that Ford is making excellent strides lately. If I needed a full size, I'd get an F-250. I test drove the F150, Tundra, and Ram when truck shopping back before I picked up the Taco. All way too big for my intended usage, and bigtime fuel hogs. Nicely appointed interiors though. You could tell a lot of office workers were picking them up for Home Depot runs and mild masculinity compensation.

5. Feb 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Thats a tough one..uummm before christ??

6. Feb 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    Buff

Buff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buff
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    V6 TRD Sport 4x4
    Removed the damn stickers!
    Back in November I helped my son move from San Diego to NE PA. He had a new 2012 Fx4 with the eco boost. We pulled a 21ft Sandpiper toyhauler that was loaded with clothes, generator, stock exhaust from the F-150, and other household items. He also loaded the bed with more boxes of stuff. The truck consistently got 11 mpg the entire trip. We averaged 70-75 mph on the interstates and ran into that damn hurricane mid Ohio the rest of the way home. I couldn't believe the power that truck has! Didn't matter going up 9% grades or fighting headwinds that truck never struggled at all! Always had tons of power in reserve to pass or climb. After we got to my place we unhooked the trailer and drove it to Saratoga Springs, NY 4 hours away to find him a place to live. That trip up and back it maintained around 23 mpg. I have to say I was Jealous. Not that I need a truck that size anymore but it gets better fuel economy than my little toy and rides a lot better too! I agree that it would be nice to have a more versatile power plant available in the Tacoma. All that being said I still like my Toy but wish for a little more for the money.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    geost1

geost1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    TRD Cat back exhaust K&N Air Filter
    Overall there seems to be a lot of complaints about "NEW" 2nd Gen Taco's, but not for quality. I own a 2005 Taco, original owner and absolutely love it. I love the power the truck has, love the aggressive styling, love the reliability. Most of all, I LOVE the fact that a truck I paid off over 3 years ago is still worth over $13,000 according to KBB! :thumbsup:

Having said that, the truck is simply dated. Toyota hit a home run back in 2004(well the 05 model) but hasn't really done anything with it. The 2013 is the same basic truck as my 2005, with only a few truly notable differences. Sure if you compare a nine year old+ powertrain to a modern one it's going to come up short in MPG and maybe power.

So the real question is when is Toyota going to get off their asses and release a REAL redesigned model. We're waiting... :bored:

8. Feb 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This.

Don't expect them to go whole hog with the redesign either. In addition to being a conservative company from the start, there's not as much money in midsize pickups as there is in full sizers.

9. Feb 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    heavtritefoot

heavtritefoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Courtice,Ontario
    Ya I have heard the same thing from the guys that own mustangs. It popped up as a question in the mustang forums one day. One guy asked if any one onwned one and what they think of it. Never read anything bad about the eco boost motor at all. Guys where impressed when they had to pull a trailer, thats where it shines.

10. Feb 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Well, the Taco is a bigtime moneymaker for Toyota as it is. It still sells, the Taco pretty much controls the entire midsize truck segment.

I wonder if Toyota or anybody else will go back to a smaller truck sometime in the future. Myself, I thought the Gen I access cab or double cab was the perfect dimensions.

If Toyota came out with a Gen I sized truck with the 4.0 with its timing chains instead of the 3.4's belts, the 6 speed manual, and a fully-boxed frame that would be a nice truck for my needs. I'd get the towing capacity, the power, the reliability, the versatility on road and off road.

11. Feb 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Well, it's not what you'd call a nimble off-road truck. Long front porch, long rear porch. The Ford hauls, it's not an off-road truck. The Tacoma still doubles as an off-roader. Not as well as the Gen I, but it's still an off-road truck.

12. Feb 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps

^^^^this. Those door skins are so flimsy and cheap looking. Wait for the Atlas.

I never even considered a full size. I like a smaller truck. I agree the Tacoma gets terrible gas mileage. Besides that, the cost of a full size was substantially more for similar setup.

13. Feb 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    It is said that Nissan will release a new Frontier that is smaller and more basic in 2015.

14. Feb 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    geost1

geost1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    TRD Cat back exhaust K&N Air Filter
    Good points. Honestly I'd settle for a redesign that incorporates the following changes:

• Make Power Seats an option (Lack of same is my #1 gripe)
    • Make Heated Mirrors an option
    • Make Remote Starter an option
    • Update to a modern powertrain (6-spd Auto and Direct Fuel Injection would help power and more importantly MPG)
    • Bring back the Radiant Red (or equivalent bright red) body color (Why the FUCK did they discontinue this for Taco's anyway! :rant:)
    In addition, here are some nice to have things that would make the truck more appealing IMO:

• Optional Leather (heated) seats
    • Optional Moonroof
    • Improved ride
    The Tacoma is still a great truck, even with an outdated powertrain and lack of key cold weather options. Toyota just needs to realize that many of us use our trucks as everyday vehicles and some common creature comforts would be nice. They can still have a stripped down "basic" model but need to hit the other side of the spectrum too.

15. Feb 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Get Prius. Better finish and more electronics than F150

16. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    folmonty

folmonty [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monty
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Sport (sold) 13 AC 4X4 (inbound)
    My thoughts exactly! Sold my 05 AC Pre-runner couple weeks ago and only lost 8K value in 8 years. Power was matched nicely for the truck and it never skipped a beat.

That said, after testing the F150, I'm going to give it a go. Size does matter, but my wheeling is pretty tame by off road standards. I'll miss the taco as it was a fantastic truck for me.

17. Feb 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    IMO Toyota should be able to at least match the economy of the F150. My other gripe if this is a real truck, then it should have a real truck suspension capable of hauling the rated payload weight on a regular basis without us having to consider replacing the springs on a new truck. Not to mention frames that rust.

18. Feb 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Hmmm... well I'd expect a comfortable truck. But you can settle easily if that's what you're about. Then again comfort can be subjective. I think the Tacoma (stock) is pretty comfortable. More comfortable than other post Y2k cars I've owned.

19. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps

I would surely hope that by 2013 they have figured out how to make the frames last. After all, they have spent millions of dollars on buybacks, replacements and prophylactic treatment on the older ones. I am not worried at all about the frame on my 2013.

I don't use this type of truck as a work truck, but a utility truck. If you want a work truck, you should buy a full size truck anyway. The TACO is for run around and occassional work duty, not daily heavy hauler.

20. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    So I can't haul the 1100 lbs that Toyota rates it for. I looked at a F150 that was rated for 1500 lbs. How much do think the F150 would haul?

Products Discussed in

To Top