Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 L 4 Cylinder Engine Rev Problems / Issues

Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 L 4 Cylinder Engine Rev Problems / Issues

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2011 2.7 Liter 5 speed 4x4 AC. Currently about 27,500 miles. I've been experiencing intermittant problems with the Engine reving in gears 2,3 & 4.

The engine will rev high while driving [as I'm shifting through the gears], but my speed will not increase. I'm not sure if this is the transmission or computer or a bad sensor. This problem started happening around 22,000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this in a 4 Cylinder 5 speed? Going to take it in under warranty and was hoping you guys could help shed some light before I do.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds to be your clutch to me. Sounds like it "slipping"
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ Ditto^^^^
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Sounds to be your clutch to me. Sounds like it "slipping"
That's an interesting thought, one I haven't considered.

The reving starts after the clutch has been completely released though.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
That's an interesting thought, one I haven't considered.

The reving starts after the clutch has been completely released though.
Yea that's when it slips is when it out, released.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
MomsTacoma is on a distinguished road
MomsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed this problem on my mother's 2007 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed as well. I'll be cruising in 4th or 5th gear around 60 to 70 mph, depress the clutch to shift, the engine instantly revs up about 200rpm then levels off for 3 to 4 seconds before dropping to allow for a smooth shift... Really doesn't seem normal. I posted on here about it recently but didn't get many responses. I don't think there are too many 4cyl owners out there. At first I also thought it was a clutch issue, but it engages and disengages (albeit at the very top end of the stroke) as it should and doesn't slip. I know what a slipping clutch feels like and this is not it. If your clutch was slipping the engine would rev up in gear with the clutch disengaged. I think I'll be taking her truck in soon to get it looked at and I'll report back when I do. In the mean time I'm hoping some other 2.7 owners might be able to shed some light on this...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Yea that's when it slips is when it out, released.
I think I phrased that wrong. I meant when the clutch is fully engaged - ie when my foot is not on the clutch.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsTacoma View Post
I have noticed this problem on my mother's 2007 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed as well. I'll be cruising in 4th or 5th gear around 60 to 70 mph, depress the clutch to shift, the engine instantly revs up about 200rpm then levels off for 3 to 4 seconds before dropping to allow for a smooth shift... Really doesn't seem normal. I posted on here about it recently but didn't get many responses. I don't think there are too many 4cyl owners out there. At first I also thought it was a clutch issue, but it engages and disengages (albeit at the very top end of the stroke) as it should and doesn't slip. I know what a slipping clutch feels like and this is not it. If your clutch was slipping the engine would rev up in gear with the clutch disengaged. I think I'll be taking her truck in soon to get it looked at and I'll report back when I do. In the mean time I'm hoping some other 2.7 owners might be able to shed some light on this...
Yeah it's definitely not normal. It's actually almost gotten me into a couple of accidents merging onto the Interstate.

I've searched high and low on the internet and can't find anyone with a 2nd Gen 4 cylinder having this issue - pretty frustrating. I'm seeing alot of people with 2nd Gen V6's having a similar problem and they are saying it's a transmission issue and generally the Dealerships are giving them the run-around.

Yes I would appreciate hearing back what you find out. I'm going to try to take mine in next week and I will definitely post what I find out
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
This:

Quote:
I have noticed this problem on my mother's 2007 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed as well. I'll be cruising in 4th or 5th gear around 60 to 70 mph, depress the clutch to shift, the engine instantly revs up about 200rpm then levels off for 3 to 4 seconds before dropping to allow for a smooth shift... ~snip~
And This:

Quote:
I think I phrased that wrong. I meant when the clutch is fully engaged - ie when my foot is not on the clutch.
These are not the same thing. Opposites in fact.

EatMyTacomaDust's problem does indeed seem like the the clutch is slipping.

MomsTacoma problem sounds like there could be an issue with the (IAC Valve) Idle Air Control Valve. As the engine doesn't idle down when the throttle is released.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
yea we on same page. it does sound like your clutch. next time you go to drive get it in about 3rd gear at about 20mph or around 1-1500 RPMS. floor it, if the rpm's go way up and the truck doesn't take off and makes lots of noise(engine reving) than your clutch is slipping. if it just slowly gets speed back up like normal, than clutch may be ok. this is one way to test.

or from a stop give lots of gas and drop clutch. if tires dont spin, burn out, than clutch may be bad, but i would do the 3rd gear thing.

good luck

and moms taco not sure on yours?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
This:

And This:

MomsTacoma problem sounds like there could be an issue with the (IAC Valve) Idle Air Control Valve. As the engine doesn't idle down when the throttle is released.
That seems to be the general consensus here. That didn't even occur to me before I started this thread. Looking back to the problems I was having this morning driving to work, a slipping clutch does make sense though.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Any other comments are welcomed. You guys ROCK!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Search for stories on the Luk clutch they put on the 4 cylinder. There is a TSB to replace with the (superior) Aisin under warranty if it's failing.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Search for rev hang or rpm hang. This has been discussed quite a bit.
The dealer will tell you " they all do it" and "it's for emissions". I saw a post on another board some time ago where they were petitioning Toyota regarding excessive clutch wear due to the ackward shifts.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
yea we on same page. it does sound like your clutch. next time you go to drive get it in about 3rd gear at about 20mph or around 1-1500 RPMS. floor it, if the rpm's go way up and the truck doesn't take off and makes lots of noise(engine reving) than your clutch is slipping. if it just slowly gets speed back up like normal, than clutch may be ok. this is one way to test.

or from a stop give lots of gas and drop clutch. if tires dont spin, burn out, than clutch may be bad, but i would do the 3rd gear thing.

good luck

and moms taco not sure on yours?

Ok good. Yeah that's exactly what it's doing. It's really bad when I shift at a lower RPM and get on the gas to get up a hill. At higher RPMS it's not as bad but I don't like having to shift past 3K RPM on a regular basis. Seems the optimal shift point in my truck is around or right above 2.5K RPM.

Thanks - Appreciate your input.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Search for stories on the Luk clutch they put on the 4 cylinder. There is a TSB to replace with the (superior) Aisin under warranty if it's failing.
Excellent news. I haven't seen this TSB but will try to find it now that I know what to look for.

A quick search has yielded results regarding the Luk clutches, That TSB apparently is for year models 2005 - 2011. You would think Toyota wouldn't let this crap go for that long.

I'll try to find the actual TSB and print out to take to the dealer. Thanks for letting me know about the Luk [BAD Luk] clutches and the TSB- Much Appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
This:

And This:

I have the same issue with the revs increasing when pushing in the clutch, especially when shifting between 4th and 5th gears. The only fix Ive found that works is occasionally disconnecting the battery so the computer has to relearn your driving habits (and thus gives you more control over the throttle valve). And FYI, the 2TR doesnt have an IAC, it's drive-by-wire so theres no need since the computer controls the throttle valve.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #17

UPDATE:

I took my truck into the dealer and told them I had a slipping clutch and that there was a TSB to resolve the issue. They checked it out for about 30 mins and came back and said they would fix it under TSB 0066-11.

They replaced:

Clutch Cover Assembly
Clutch Disk Assembly
Flywheel Sub-Assembly

Replacement parts are AISIN, NOT LUK! Truck feels like new, shifts better than it did when new. So far i am a happy camper.

They also replaced my Fan motor and that dreadful ticking is finally gone!

On a side note: When I dropped my truck off this morning I told my service guy I wanted to get the Rear Leaf Spring TSB done due to a harsh ride with the bed loaded. I told him that my rear end bounced and felt unsafe. Needless to say they ordered the rear springs no questions asked and they will be installed next week!

ROCK ON. Love it.

Thanks to all who posted on my thread telling me what my issue was - MUCH APPRECIATED!