1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline vibrations - 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Iloveoregon, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Iloveoregon

Iloveoregon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    bend oregon
    Vehicle:
    14TRDSPORT, 12TRDSPORT
    TRD WHEELS AND BF'S,
    So since purchasing my truck new in Nov of 2011, Ive noticed I tend to get a driveline vibration from a dead stop (like a stoplight) when I start to accelerate. This usually happens at and or around 1500-2000k rmps..
    I figured it was just a truck thing (I came from driving a Subaru). Since purchasing the truck, ive added a lift(toytec w/billies), tires, wheels, nothing to crazy.. But the vibes are still there.
    Its not a huge issue to me, but if it’s a known problem id like to have it fixed.. Finally I decided to take it down to the dealership where I had purchased the truck, and have them take a look at it.
    After the first appointment the service writer called me and told me the driveline is out of balanced?? and they would have to order a new one. The part arrived and they installed that part for me, sweet!!... not really.. Now this one is out of “balanced” and they are going to order another new driveline and some kind of new mounting bracket? Its all new to me and ive never had a car or truck with a driveline issue.. I feel very lucky Toyota is willing to fix this problem at no cost.. but have any of you guys experienced problem like this?

2. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
    Beavis, I still have very minor take off vibes after my OME install. I am hoping they go away once everything settles. It isnt horrible but I would rather not have it

3. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
    Yeah, I figure I have the powertrain warranty up to 100k. I will bring it to their attention at an upcoming service, that way they will have it documented. I am glad it is only the take off vibe and not at freeway speeds

4. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Driveline vibes are a common problem, particularly after installing a lift. Not just in Tacomas but in most trucks and Jeeps. Having said that, there are a number of possible causes and possible "cures". As Beavis said above, do some searching -- there are threads upon threads upon threads about driveline vibes here in TW that discuss all the different types and causes of vibes.

Keep in mind that auto manufacturers put a HUGE amount of engineering into their vehicles with the intention of them performing optimally in their stock form. Once you start modding, you start to stray away from the original intent of all the engineering that went into the vehicle design. That doesn't stop many people from modding with a lift, wheel spacers, different wheels, tires, etc, etc, etc. for their own personal reasons and doing whatever they can to get rid of any resultant vibes.

Products Discussed in

To Top