LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carling switch to OEM fog lights

Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
That probably won't work.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
That won't work.
Says YOU.....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
That won't work.
If the combined resistance of the relay coil and the lamp are low enough, it will still pull the relay in, and the lamp will glow, though at a reduced level.

It COULD work.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If the combined resistance of the relay coil and the lamp are low enough, it will still pull the relay in, and the lamp will glow, though at a reduced level.

It COULD work.
It would trigger the relay most likely, but I doubt it would light the bulb.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's an LED. And the current flow is correct....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Lurker No More

The blue wire is carrying 12v+ looking for ground....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
Wishin' I was Fishin'

If it is an LED then I agree, it should light up fine, but then I wouldn't expect it to trigger the relay. But, its easy enough to plug the two wires on, and see what the real world has to say about it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma BC View Post
. Part number is V1D1BHOB- Green LED.
But then again WHO reads the whole post...really.

And YOUR reason to state fail trigger at the coil side of the relay is?....
I mean after stating this: "It would trigger the relay most likely, but I doubt it would light the bulb."
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
But then again WHO reads the whole post...really.

And YOUR reason to state fail trigger at the coil side of the relay is?....
That the LEDs current draw isn't likely high enough. But, as I said, its easy to try it. No need to be rude either way.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
Tacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Tacoma BC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I just tried this. It is enough to light up the switch's LED, but the fogs do not come on.
I'm wondering if the fog light anytime mod is causing issues with that? Just guessing.
Not sure what I should try next. Perhaps opening the switch and reversing the polarity of the LED like you guys suggest in post #14 & 15?
Thanks for all the input on this guys. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
So I just tried this. It is enough to light up the switch's LED, but the fogs do not come on.
I'm wondering if the fog light anytime mod is causing issues with that? Just guessing.
Not sure what I should try next. Perhaps opening the switch and reversing the polarity of the LED like you guys suggest in post #14 & 15?
Nahh... Phil was right, the resistor that is in series with the LED is preventing sufficient current from flowing to close the relay.

Unfortunately, with it being an LED, my idea will not work either. LEDs don't always function as true diodes... many allow significant reverse-bias leakage, but they don't illuminate.

Afraid you're stuck without getting more creative.
I could work up a circuit that would work perfectly for you, but I don't have time right now to draw it for you.

It would entail an add-a-fuse and a standard fog light relay installed under the dash.
Connect the blue and white/black wires to the new relay pins 30 and 87.
Connect 86 to ground (white/black is fine). Connect pin 85 to pin 3 of your switch. Connect pin 7 to ground (again, white/black is fine).
Connect pin 2 to your add-a-fuse, that is plugged into a source that is switched with the ignition (like the radio fuse circuit).

Basically, the new switch operates a relay, and that relay replaces the original switch, switching the ground onto the blue wire.
Insulate and cap off the two green wires.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Tacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow thanks Rich, I will give that a try. Thanks for taking the time to describe all that.
I'll report back here soon with the results.
Stephen
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
Lurker No More

Quote:
Add ground to pin3...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Add ground to pin3...
Tried that - still no go.

Quote:
It would entail an add-a-fuse and a standard fog light relay installed under the dash.
Connect the blue and white/black wires to the new relay pins 30 and 87.
Connect 86 to ground (white/black is fine). Connect pin 85 to pin 3 of your switch. Connect pin 7 to ground (again, white/black is fine).
Connect pin 2 to your add-a-fuse, that is plugged into a source that is switched with the ignition (like the radio fuse circuit).
I bought a relay today and wired it as above. Still no joy.
The relay I bought is a 5 pin (with 87a). Not sure if that makes a difference though?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:

The relay I bought is a 5 pin (with 87a). Not sure if that makes a difference though?
The five pin relay should be OK, so long as you connected to 87 as Rich said, and not 87A.

Recheck all your connections following Rich's instructions, and check that you are getting power from your add-a-fuse or however you supplied +12V to your switch.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Add ground to pin3...
Pin 3 is one side of the LED, pin 7 is the other and grounded.
Grounding 3 will turn the lights on but not the indicator.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #37

Quote:

87a is just the NC contact from pin 30... just insulate it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Pin 3 is one side of the LED, pin 7 is the other and grounded.
Grounding 3 will turn the lights on but not the indicator.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #39

So I tried wiring it as Rich suggested, but it did not work.
Now I've taken out my fog light anytime mod and I reversed the led in the switch. It works properly now. But I don't have fog lights anytime now. Sigh....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #40

Caribe, normally you are right on top of electrical, but you're having a major brain fart on this one.

The circuit that you drew putting a ground on pin 3, has the relay coil feeding 12v to pin 2, closing the switch connects it to pin 3, grounding the relay coil.
That will work.

But the ground on pin 3 is grounding one side of the LED.
Pin 7 grounds the other side of the LED.

May as well connect both ends of the LED to the chassis, the current is not going to flow through the LED.