Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carling switch to OEM fog lights

Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Caribe, normally you are right on top of electrical, but you're having a major brain fart on this one.

The circuit that you drew putting a ground on pin 3, has the relay coil feeding 12v to pin 2, closing the switch connects it to pin 3, grounding the relay coil.
That will work.

But the ground on pin 3 is grounding one side of the LED.
Pin 7 grounds the other side of the LED.

May as well connect both ends of the LED to the chassis, the current is not going to flow through the LED.
No, your looking at the color of the wires and not the flow of current. That's twice you have farted here.... The original switch current flow is maintained, look closer...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking at the flow of current.

How is current going to flow between 3 and 7 when you are grounding both 3 and 7 AND there is resistance between them? The current is going to flow to ground from 3.

Attached Thumbnails
Carling switch to OEM fog lights-switch.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #43
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I am looking at the flow of current.

How is current going to flow between 3 and 7 when you are grounding both 3 and 7 AND there is resistance between them? The current is going to flow to ground from 3.

Because it's exactly as Carlig meant it to be wired....led doesn't lite if not grounded...it makes connection when switch is actuated....T-branch, one side grounds the circuit. the other branch flows to ground via resistor dropping current for led to lite...but you knew that...it's a simple thing not a PLC or any other sophisticated circuit.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WHAT??????????

You are grounding BOTH SIDES of the LED!
Current can NOT flow.

Current follows the path of least resistance, which is from pin 2 to the ground connection at pin 3.

This is not what Carling had in mind. Carling designed the switch to operate using the typical switched-hot circuit common in DIY applications and it is not compatible with ground-true switching.

Here's the entire diagram, as Carling designed the switch to work (fuses and secondary power connections omitted)...

Here is what you are instructing the OP to do... the LED is grounded on BOTH sides because the stock relay is always hot and the switching is ground-true.

Attached Thumbnails
Carling switch to OEM fog lights-switch1.jpg   Carling switch to OEM fog lights-switch2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma BC View Post
Here you go Rich:
Really?....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #46

YES, REALLY!!!!!!!

Look at the damned switch diagram!

The LED is connected across pins 3 and 7.
If you ground both of them, the LED will have no current flowing through it!

What are you not understanding??????????????
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #47
Lurker No More

YOUR not understanding that all the OP want's is the switch to indicate circuit ON when actuated, which is what I am showing in my the diagram...
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
YOUR not understanding that all the OP want's is the switch to indicate circuit ON when actuated, which is what I am showing in my the diagram...
I know what he wants, and what you are instructing him to do will not work, as he has already tried and informed us.

I'm done here. Have fun with the rest of this thread.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #49
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I respect your wealth of knowledge for current... But has this been figured out yet? Trying to do the same thing but don't want to mess anything up. I'm in the exact same position as the OP with the anytime Fog mod.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #50
Tacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma BC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Tacoma BC's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up running all my own wiring to the factory fog lights. I capped and sealed the stock wires.
I ran power off the parking lights. So I now am able to use the switch I bought and I have fog lights anytime (with parking lights on).
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #51
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good, wish there was a plug and play. Thanks for the follow up!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #52
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
i tried this and would not work. you have to re wire the fogs front to back like an aftermarket set. Rich is 100% right.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #53
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I hope you don't mind me piggy backing off your thread. Didn't make sense to make a new one since it appears you already resolved your issue & I am getting ready to attempt the same thing but with a different switch.

I ordered a carling switch to replace my OEM switch. I also have the Anytime fog light mod done and wish to keep the same function. My switch is different than the OP's; My switch has 2 leds, bottom to be lighted only when switch is ON, top LED on with parking lights.

Can someone please suggest/tell me where to wire everything from? Will this switch have the same issue as the OP?
Note: My Fog lights are 35W HID's

Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #54
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of putting in a led switch for my fogs, till I ran across this thread. Not sure
now!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #55
smgcon will become famous soon enough
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Constable with 31 years service (Rtd)
Name: Geoff
smgcon's Tacoma Gallery
8 will connect to the green (+) and 7 to green with white tracer (-) used for Toyota's dash lights. This will light up the switch with your dash lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
OP, I hope you don't mind me piggy backing off your thread. Didn't make sense to make a new one since it appears you already resolved your issue & I am getting ready to attempt the same thing but with a different switch.

I ordered a carling switch to replace my OEM switch. I also have the Anytime fog light mod done and wish to keep the same function. My switch is different than the OP's; My switch has 2 leds, bottom to be lighted only when switch is ON, top LED on with parking lights.

Can someone please suggest/tell me where to wire everything from? Will this switch have the same issue as the OP?
Note: My Fog lights are 35W HID's