1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Exhaust Chop?? anyone...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Corndawg, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Stock Exhaust Chop ?? what do you think

Poll closed Jun 22, 2014.
  1. Leave it Stock?

17.9%
  2. Chop it!

44.2%
  3. upgrade to Full System

37.9%
  1. May 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    I love the look already not being able to see that ugly brown exhaust pipe sticking out!! Will love it more once my Bruteforce bumper arrives :D

2. May 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    very expensive sound mod.

3. Sep 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Mach.85

Mach.85 Active Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    3" Icon coilovers, custom add-a-leaf 1.5", ProComp 17x8 4.5BS 7089s with BFG A/T 285/70/17 and trimmed inner wheel wells. Full recovery gear. Shell. Uniden Pro520XL CB, 5' Firestik on BAMF mount with Firestik heavy duty spring, Maglite mount on driver seat. All-Pro rear bumper w/ side guards. 4X Innovations fuel tank skid. Rear diff breather mod. All-Pro T-case skid. All-Pro IFS and Tranny skids and Warn M8000-s on Apex front bumper. Led cabin and map lights. Custom welded kickout sliders. Rigid D2 drivers. PIAA yellow fogs. ARB locker and 4.56's to come.
    Any negatives from this mod? Smell, CO? Heat damage nearby?

Thanks

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Nope....

Been cut for 4-5 months with no neg. effects.

5. Sep 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    simonsay

simonsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ron
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition
    6" pro comp
    Mines cut too. Right after the exhaust. No issues that I see.

6. Sep 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

What part of the exhaust?

7. Sep 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Reeeno403

Reeeno403 hammerdownson

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Not a Stocko Taco.
    I have the factory Borla setup. When I cut mine at the axle I actually lost sound. We cut the Borla tip off and welded it back on where it dumps over the axle and it brought back a lot of the sound.
    Having said this the Borla exhaust tip creates a lot of the "cool" sound on the Borla setup. Like mentioned above...It looks way cleaner and it wont get munched off roading.

Found this on the youtube courtesy of "Viet" on TW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKXOQmCJQs

Mine cut at the axle sounds pretty much the exact same.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  8. Sep 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    Mach.85

Mach.85 Active Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    3" Icon coilovers, custom add-a-leaf 1.5", ProComp 17x8 4.5BS 7089s with BFG A/T 285/70/17 and trimmed inner wheel wells. Full recovery gear. Shell. Uniden Pro520XL CB, 5' Firestik on BAMF mount with Firestik heavy duty spring, Maglite mount on driver seat. All-Pro rear bumper w/ side guards. 4X Innovations fuel tank skid. Rear diff breather mod. All-Pro T-case skid. All-Pro IFS and Tranny skids and Warn M8000-s on Apex front bumper. Led cabin and map lights. Custom welded kickout sliders. Rigid D2 drivers. PIAA yellow fogs. ARB locker and 4.56's to come.
    Cut mine on the downturn about half-way down after the axle. Cut it so the bottom edge is level. Need to file it still. No adverse effects noted, and no change in sound.

9. Sep 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.

By chopping the pipe, the above is what I meant by "CHOP IT". I have a 4x4 with a 2" lift and a High Clearance rear bumper. The full length factory exhaust pipe hangs down and would be the lowest thing behind the axle. Common practice is to chop it off just after it turns down after the hoop for the rear axle.

If you get rid of your catalytic converter you are screwing with the emissions control crap that you paid thousands of dollars for, stinking up the air, and lucky if you gain any performance. Law breaker or not depends on where you live.

10. Sep 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    I would think it would be better protection pointing down. Water will not enter if air is trapped. kind of like a straw when you put a finger on top.

Either way sounds like a good alternative to buying an expensive exhaust.

11. Oct 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    I want to chop mine after the rear axle like b.tuner but do I need to add any support to it?

12. Oct 2, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    No. You'll be fine.

13. Oct 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Nope... In fact there is a support right after the Muffler that will hold it up with no issues. I would take a picture but it's raining here today (no wheel rotation today). But you can crawl underneath your truck and see that there is no stress on the exhaust mounts. It looks so much cleaner without the exhaust hanging out of the side of the truck IMO

14. Oct 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    xtyfighterx

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    Thanks guys ill prob do this later tonight

15. Oct 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    If you do it what I suggest is to cut it at a angle (just made it easier for me) with a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade. Took maybe 10-15 seconds to go through. Next I would prime or put some sort of rust inhibitor on the cut portion of the exhaust. I bought a resonator tip for mine (doesn't make any different sound) and Rhino Lined it so I wouldn't have to worry about it again. You can see it if you walk by the truck but it is one of those things that you just have to be looking for.

16. Oct 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    lightinglark956

lightinglark956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    k&n cai ,flowmaster series 40 single in dual out with custom dual exhaust out the back with 4 in ss cans ,backflip vp tonneau Blackhorse stainless bulbar ,35% tint front and rear,rainguards ,glovebox console organizer,ome 887's ,Dakar rear leaf package ,ome nitro charger schocks ,lr uca's ,diaz devil horn emblem,goodrich ext brake lines
    check with a local muffler shop !! I got mine generic 40 series flowmaster single in dual out with custom 2.5 inch pipe ran duals out the back with 4 " stainless cans for under $400 !!!!!! love the look and the sound

17. Oct 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    you wont notice a bit of difference if you cut it after the muffler. Just get a catback exhaust system. MBRP has a nice tone. Had one on my Colorado...they are more expensive though. Prob Magnaflo and flowmaster are the cheaper ones.

18. Oct 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    The Stig

The Stig Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been wanting a new exhaust for a while but it just hardly seems worth it. Really barely any performance gains and the 4.0 doesn't really sound THAT great. Worth the $400+? Ehhhh....

19. Oct 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    That is the problem isnt it. Plus you have to worry about inspections if you live in a state where the exhaust cant be modified. In Maine you cant have anything other than stock....unless you know your mechanic/inspector haha

20. Oct 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    xtyfighterx

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip!

Products Discussed in

To Top