Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers

Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
First off hello to everyone, first post here for me.

I purchased a 1983 single cab short bed 4 cyl that a buddy of mine bought new when we were in high school. When I got it it had 250k on it, the odometer had stopped. It didnt use a drop of oil. No telling how many miles were on it. Everything worked. It was rusted bad, frame finaly gave up. People parked away from me in a parking lot. It was the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.

I purchase an 89 4x4 6 cyl , long story short, the worst vehicle i have ever owned.

I am finally in position to buy a small truck again, I hope I can get some truthful answers as far as mpg on the v6 and 4cyl Taco with access cab. I just read the thread about the hopeful changes to the 2014 taco. I also wish the Hi-lux was available here in the US.

My problem is it seems most small trucks now don't do much better than full size on gas ,why not just go full-size?

A few thoughts if you will would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance and again Hello to everyone.
I have a 2012 DC 4x4 V6 (manual trans). Generally get around 14mpg driving around town, 17-18 on the highway if I can keep it in 6th. I could go on about the 6 speed manual transmission could be geared better to get better highway mileage, but that's a different topic. To me, the gas mileage of this truck isn't great, and certainly not a selling point of it...but it's not horrible either.

FWIW, I owned an '86 pickup (4 cylinder) and loved it.

Regarding the question about "why not just go full size?"...For me, it's not just a matter of gas mileage. I live in an urban area and have to drive downtown quite a bit for work, and having a smaller truck makes things SO much easier in terms or parking and maneuvering. Parallel parking, small parking spots and parking garages with ridiculously low clearances are prime reasons why I wanted a Tacoma vs. a full-sized pickup. For the same reason, if I lived in a more rural area and/or had to haul large loads more frequently, then I'd get the full sized even if gas mileage was considerably worse.

Overall, this is my 4th Toyota truck, and I'm quite happy with it. As others have mentioned, I'd test drive a few. The 4 cylinder engines are better now than they were in the 80's in terms of power, but for me I really liked the V6 better.