Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers

First off hello to everyone, first post here for me.

I purchased a 1983 single cab short bed 4 cyl that a buddy of mine bought new when we were in high school. When I got it it had 250k on it, the odometer had stopped. It didnt use a drop of oil. No telling how many miles were on it. Everything worked. It was rusted bad, frame finaly gave up. People parked away from me in a parking lot. It was the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.

I purchase an 89 4x4 6 cyl , long story short, the worst vehicle i have ever owned.

I am finally in position to buy a small truck again, I hope I can get some truthful answers as far as mpg on the v6 and 4cyl Taco with access cab. I just read the thread about the hopeful changes to the 2014 taco. I also wish the Hi-lux was available here in the US.

My problem is it seems most small trucks now don't do much better than full size on gas ,why not just go full-size?

A few thoughts if you will would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance and again Hello to everyone.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
So which truck are you thinking about? A 5 lugger, pre-runner, or 4x4? All three factors make a little difference in mpgs.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 was averaging 19+ before I started with the mods. Did get over 20 on long runs but mostly drive city type miles since I don't live that far from work.

As far as real world mpg's on trucks I would suggest looking at other forums also to see what people are actually getting. Most of us know that manufacturers will fudge the numbers. With that said, most full size do seem to get close to the same if not better but I bought mine because I've always wanted a Tacoma 4x4 for the reliability, value, and looks. I've just always loved these trucks, but the 1st gens were a bit small for me so when the 2nd gens came out I fell in love all over again. This is not to say I don't like the 1st gens, but I personally love the size of the 2nd's. I traded a Dodge Ram QC Hemi. It was BIG and really more than I needed. Of course that truck only got on a good tank 15 mpg's. Doesn't sound like a lot but I still save $20-30 a tank even now with my mods averaging 18 mpg's. My fuelly isn't very accurate right now since I just leveled my truck. Haven't drove long enough to see if that will affect it that much though.

To me the question of full size vs mid is do you need the size, or do you need a V8 for towing? My truck will do for me for either that I need. Do kinda wish I got a long bed though.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting around 16.5 mpg per tank on my 2011 Access Cab V6. It's at 15K miles and the mileage has been creeping up from around 15 when I got it at 12K miles.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
First off hello to everyone, first post here for me.

I purchased a 1983 single cab short bed 4 cyl that a buddy of mine bought new when we were in high school. When I got it it had 250k on it, the odometer had stopped. It didnt use a drop of oil. No telling how many miles were on it. Everything worked. It was rusted bad, frame finaly gave up. People parked away from me in a parking lot. It was the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.

I purchase an 89 4x4 6 cyl , long story short, the worst vehicle i have ever owned.

I am finally in position to buy a small truck again, I hope I can get some truthful answers as far as mpg on the v6 and 4cyl Taco with access cab. I just read the thread about the hopeful changes to the 2014 taco. I also wish the Hi-lux was available here in the US.

My problem is it seems most small trucks now don't do much better than full size on gas ,why not just go full-size?

A few thoughts if you will would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance and again Hello to everyone.
Very good question. I am not brand loyal so I will tell you the 05+ Tacomas have a laundry list of issues that should of been taken care of long ago. From frames rusting out to very poor quality paint and numerous engineering snafus during design. These trucks like others have problems so stick around and do some research before you pull the trigger. You just need to find out on your own if the issues Toyotas have are acceptable to you vs the other manufacturers issues.

and just because it's a Toyota doesn't mean you shouldn't get the 10/100,000 mile warranty. I made that mistake and it would of saved me thousands of dollars.

also if you tow heavy all the time your gas mileage will be around 10mpg at BEST.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I get a consistent 15MPG driving around town. The worst I have ever seen was 13.5 or so. That tank was almost all 5 miles at a time, took me a month to get through a tank, this is not my daily driver.

On the highway I get a consistent 18.5-19 MPG. I set the cruise on 70 and don't try to coax any more economy out of it. The six speed manual trans is well known for giving a MPG or two less than the automatic. I have seen 20-21MPG on long interstate drives outside of CA. We have oxygenated gasoline here year round, that cuts MPG.

The original window sticker rating for my particular model was 14/18 city/hwy.

My dad just bought a 2013 Prerunner TRD V6 auto. He is getting a consistent 17MPG in town. He lives in the same town as I do, so same gas, traffic, etc. I have not yet heard back from him on highway MPG, but expect that he will see 21MPG or better on the road, given the Prerunner automatic configuration. Edit: He's getting 21MPG on the road. Lots of 75-80MPH driving on the interstate in AZ.

If you want a bigger truck, by all means go fullsize. I did not buy this truck for MPG. I bought it because I have wanted one for a long time, and I have a company truck to drive to work, so MPG does not make much difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Very good question. I am not brand loyal so I will tell you the 05+ Tacomas have a laundry list of issues that should of been taken care of long ago. From frames rusting out to very poor quality paint and numerous engineering snafus during design. These trucks like others have problems so stick around and do some research before you pull the trigger. You just need to find out on your own if the issues Toyotas have are acceptable to you vs the other manufacturers issues.

and just because it's a Toyota doesn't mean you shouldn't get the 10/100,000 mile warranty. I made that mistake and it would of saved me thousands of dollars.

also if you tow heavy all the time your gas mileage will be around 10mpg at BEST.
Some good thoughts here. I agree, it's just a truck, not a rolling miracle machine. Things can and do go wrong, and I have buddies with Chevy trucks that are rolling up on 200K with not a lot of issues.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
For me it was a matter of size. I had a 92 Ranger STX extra cab and a 2000 Ram Reg cab 4x4 work truck. I liked the size of the Tacoma, bigger inside than the Ranger same wheel base. Dodge was just too big especially when I needed the double cab for the young grand kids.
I like the overall scale of the Tacoma. It has the same wheel base as the Ranger and I like the height of the Prerunner SB (I really don't need 4x4). I thought about the long box but didn't like the longer wheel base trade off.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
lol at the pussy leaving me neutral rep and calling me a douche for my true post. next time leave your name in the rep or send me a pm you little bitch.

Just trying to help people out by stating the facts.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

Doyb =

hey pal don't make me drive up to PA
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
lol at the pussy leaving me neutral rep and calling me a douche for my true post. next time leave your name in the rep or send me a pm you little bitch.

Just trying to help people out by stating the facts.
Sorry bout that. If it helps, I meant douche in the good way.

OP, I'd start truck shopping by thinking about what you want to do with it, then see what fits best. The Tacoma doesn't have a major fuel economy fuel advantage over other options. I've gotten 21 mpg highway with the truck loaded down, but you can see my everyday mileage below. For me, the Tacoma was the right size, with the right capabilities, at an acceptible price. That may add up differently for you. Good luck shopping, and ask away.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
I need 4x4 for sure, this would be my running around taking kids to appointments picking up at school do all vehicle. In do all i mean almost driving like a car and hauling small things. I have several other vehicles to cover towing and hauling groups of people (our kids and their friends). I (think) I want a 4cyl 4x4 with access cab but if it has no power or is weak but milage wise is close to a v6 then,,,,,,,. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet as I have just seriously started thinking about buying. Finally got the wife the suburban so we are covered as far as that vehicle covers things (house with a v8). We also have a prius that is awesome imo, I have got 54.8 mpg with it two kids wife and myself in the mountains here in NC , of course I was trying to get the best I could. My wife gets around 46 ( I get car sick riding with her). So I guess I like the 1st gen better but to be honest I have not even sat in a 2nd gen. I hope that helps with my questions.

Seems I want a golf cart with 4x4 and nice interior.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it's time to start visiting dealerships. You may love the Tacoma, or absolutely hate it. There are other viable options.

I'm not sure how the I4 will work for you in the mountains. I know the roads can be steep, but the elevation won't rob the engine of power as bad as the Rockies. With the bed packed with fairly heavy camping gear and three guys up front, I was glad to have the V6 in Colorado. If you can, test drive trucks on those grades if you plan to use it in the mountains much.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Go drive one for sure and see what the 4cyl is like in your normal terrain.

If it helps, I drive an 09 2wd regular cab, non prerunner at work. It is 4cyl 5speed and gets 18mpg in mixed driving, smaller city type traffic, and 15-20 mile runs on the freeway mixed in. It has a high profile camper shell on it and is loaded down. I've never weighed it, but I'd guess it's got 1,000 pounds in it including me. We have a 7% grade that is 2.5 miles long just outside of town that I drive regularly. It has the ability to pull 70MPH up that hill, but it requires 3rd gear to do that. I am regularly out of 5th gear on smaller grades as well to maintain 70MPH. If you go drive a 4cyl, 4x4 and experience similar grade climbing characteristics, expect that the fuel mileage will be similar, and a v6 might make more sense. My v6 4x4 climbs the same 7% grade in 6th gear at 70mph with two people in it and my campershell mounted. It's not that I think the 4cyl truck is stressed out in that situation, I don't feel like I am shortening it's life running it that hard, but I doubt it's saving any fuel in the hilly terrain over the v6.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
The gas mileage these things get depends largely on driving habits, driving conditions, and maybe dumb luck. My 4wd, 5 speed, access cab seems to get considerably better mileage than most of the others mentioned here. When I first got the truck it got around 22 to 24 mpg. Now it is getting consistently above 27.

As for quality issues--it is probably not as good as the older ones, but it is still a Toyota, better than any other I have looked at.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
13' Prerunner 4x2 v6

I drive it like I stole it. JK, When I merge I hit it hard and cruise at 70-75,
city I drive normal and speed limit. It's pretty good on gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers-screenshot_2013-02-09-10-21-09.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty well averaging around 19 with winter gas and v6. As far as a laundry list of problems with 2nd gen, I really haven't seen anything on the board or had anything that made me concerned to drive the truck...unlike the strawberry milkshake issue with 05 to 10 Frontiers.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go with a 4 banger if you plan on towing anything or if you live in the mountains. I have stock 265/70/16 tires and get a consistent 18 mpg's on average but if I keep the speed lower than 70 I get about 20 mpg's . I had a first gen 4 cylinder and the six cylinder power has spoiled me, I could never go back.

I agree with the other posts about the quality, I haven't seen any issues. I guess some people are more demanding than me maybe, complaining about things like an unlit 4x4 switch or no bed light.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
guitar2323 is on a distinguished road
Name: clint
guitar2323's Tacoma Gallery
Mr Azreb what year is your truck?what engine do you have?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar2323 View Post
Mr Azreb what year is your truck?what engine do you have?
'09, 2.7l 4-banger, 5 spd, 4wd, access cab, base model, mechanically stock, with camper shell