Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Console seat or front bench for a Double Cab 2nd Gen?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Brew Master is on a distinguished road
Brew Master's Tacoma Gallery
Console seat or front bench for a Double Cab 2nd Gen?

I currently have a FZJ80 Land Cruiser that I really like but want to move to a newer vehicle and a truck. I want a Double Cab Tacoma but my third kid was twins and I now have four kids. It is usually just me in my truck as a daily driver and doing some work around the house. I do some back country driving for hunting/fishing/canoeing. Occasionaly I need to haul all four kids (ages 9, 6, 4, 4) and my wife in my vehicle. If some type of front bench was available or a console/seat for the front I could be in a Tacoma today. I even wondered if a first gen Tundra 60/40 front bench could be squeezed in to a 2nd gen Tacoma. I know people hate the font bench from a regular cab Tacoma so not sure I want to try to work that in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
since the regular cabs were offered with bucket seats and console, and some guys have swapped extended cab consoles into regular cabs.......I would guess that the front floor pans are the same, but I don't know for sure.

You do not want the regular cab bench. I have one at work. It would ruin a very nice truck. No offense regular cab guys.

If I were you, I would hit the junkyard, or possibly a used car lot with a tape measurer. I worked in a shop that does hand controls, wheelchair lifts, etc for awhile. We did get into stuff like this every now and then. You want to find the seat that would require the least amount of custom bracketry to make it bolt in. I would think that would be a Toyota product. After you have found it, you may be able to use the factory sliders from your existing seats and mount them to your new bench seat. From experience, that will be easier than trying to adapt a very different slider to your floor. The goal should be to keep the factory seat mounting bolts and reinforced weld nuts in the floor. Also try not to change the seat belt mounting points, for obvious reasons. Again, a Toyota product is the best bet.

Airbags in the seat pose a challenge that I have never had to deal with. Someone posted here about swapping seats around and tricking the airbag system into thinking the side airbags in the seat were there when they were not. I won't get into that, I don't know if that's a good idea or not, beyond the obvious loss of those two bags.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Brew Master is on a distinguished road
Brew Master's Tacoma Gallery
The airbags are a primary issue. Probably have to stay in the third-row SUV world until the kids start heading off to college unless I want to go full-size truck and I am just not there yet.Came across these console seats but just a lap belt in front. Not sure about the legality of a setup like this.http://www.discountvantruck.com/cent...nsoleseats.htm