1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torn between 2 Canopies... Snugtop and Leer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BCTaco, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    It allows you to clean the windows in-between the cab and canopy. I've read where the "boot" will wear through paint over time.

2. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    The boot doesn't prevent cleaning the cab window. I like the boot myself.
    The boot is the better setup, because you have a seal between the cap and the cab, it gives you the option of removing the cab window and still have a good seal between cap and cab. I guess I'm old school.

I like to remove the cab rear window on some trips to let people move between the cab and the cap. Hell, it only takes 20 minutes to remove and reinstall the cab rear window. You can even do it by yourself with the slider.

That narrow 3-pane slider on the Gen II sucks BTW, can't fit a good-sized kid or dog through it from cap to cab. Hence why the boot and removing the cab window is ok with me. The removeable slider seems like a waste of money. Ah well, to each his own I guess.

3. Feb 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I believe with the 100XR, you have the option of a remote controlled release for the rear hatch. I bought the 100R, with the old school rear window. I do find myself wishing it had remote hatch release on it.

4. Feb 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Boot destroys paint.

They used to sell a "boot guard" clear plastic film to put on before the shell. Instead of the boot chaffing the paint off, the film seemed to do something to intensify the UV effect of the sun.......burned the paint black on one truck I had.

But I will say the boot was nice, functionally. I used to leave the side windows on the shell open, the rear cab window open, and had flow through ventilation.

My shell has the front window. While it was on order, the LEER dealer loaned me a shell that had the front boot on it. The boot did not fit right around the rear brake light on the cab. It leaked very badly. I did not have that problem with my previous truck with the booted shell. I don't know if it was just that particular shell that had an issue, or if all the boots don't fit right. I would get a guarantee before ordering a LEER with a boot.

5. Feb 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    BCTaco

BCTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    165lbs. Should I get something more heavy duty ? Max load on top of the canopy is apparently 500.

6. Feb 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So the rack is rated at 165 lbs while the roof can handle 500 lbs ?

7. Feb 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    BCTaco

BCTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Correct.

8. Feb 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think I would be wanting to get a higher rated rack so you could take advantage of your roof rating

My rack is rated at 400 lbs , and I know from experience moving lumber , it doesn't take much to get to that type of weight

9. Feb 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    BCTaco

BCTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Just put my order in for the Snug :). Can't wait, apparently it will take a month, but I feel like I made the right decision. Thanks everyone for your input :).

10. Feb 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  11. Feb 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Good choice. You will be happy.

12. Feb 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    I've got the Rebel. When compared with the Leer models side by side, SnugTop had the better fit and finish IMO.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top