Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tranny Shifting Early

Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Tranny Shifting Early

So the other day I was feeling a little froggy and started hot rodding a little. I noticed the transmission was shifting from 1st to 2nd very early (around 3-3500rpm), but 2nd to 3rd and so on would run out to redline. Is there something askew or is the normal?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I really only take it out I drive when wheeling
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
These trannies shift like mush in my opinion.. I would like to increase the line pressure and firm up the shifts for sure.. I am not sure if I it can be done easily..

I am out of the Dodge world.. This Taco is my first non-Mopar truck..
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blygy View Post
These trannies shift like mush in my opinion.. I would like to increase the line pressure and firm up the shifts for sure.. I am not sure if I it can be done easily..

I am out of the Dodge world.. This Taco is my first non-Mopar truck..
Welcome to the world of transmissions that last longer than 80,000 miles.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #6

llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Any new thoughts?

Bump
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
Welcome to the world of transmissions that last longer than 80,000 miles.

Mopar the manufacturer of the world worst transmissions IMO.

OP I have no idea what is going on with your transmission. I drive normally because I am older. Maybe some of these young kids in here could help.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you can just press the pedal harder and the truck will stay in first gear, however you will be going around smoking your tires everywhere whenever you need to pull out of your driveway or something.
Whenever i need to get out of a driveway, pull out of a side street, etc in a hurry, I drop the shifter down into 1 and pull out of wherever, then once I'm out on the main road, I step on the pedal to go quickly and move the shifter into 2 or higher. Because you're hard on the pedal when you move the shifter out of 1, the truck holds first gear...This eliminates that aggravating shift into 2nd halfway through you're pulling out of the driveway and the following jolt as the truck drops back into first when you stomp on the gas pedal. This transmission would be perfect if it would just hold first for a second or two longer...such a shame you cant adjust it at all...