Which truck would you choose?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
rraabb11 is on a distinguished road
rraabb11's Tacoma Gallery
Which truck would you choose?

All things be equal, and no chest thumping based on what you have:

2009 2WD DC Pre-runner 10k miles $21k
2006 4WD AC Manual transmission 96k mikes $12k

Use it for work (light construction/light remodeling)
Live in western NY

Btw-is rust to be expected on the bottom inside of the tailgate for the older model above? Does this frame look like it should as well? Salty roads? Recalls?
Attached Thumbnails
Which truck would you choose?-image.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Depends if you need 4x4 or not and DC or not.

Seeing you are in NY, I would probably go with a 4x4 truck. Not sure about pricing, but up here, the AC for 12K with that mileage would be a decent price. Depending if the Prerunner is 5`or 6`bed, I would prefer if it was 6` if you need to haul stuff around for construction. AC will of course be 6`.

The frame seems to have quite a bit of rust. I would be careful with that. There are a few horror stories of 2nd gen frame rust issues. Mine is and 07 and looks way better.

Anyway just figured I start and offer my 2c.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
4x4
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
The double cab if you take a bunch of guys with you to work. The access if you carry more supplies and would need a larger bed. 4WD is a plus also.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
4x4, but I'd find an auto, not a manual. Just a personal choice.
If you live in NY, you probably want 4wd with the winters you get.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
4x4
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
the 4wd
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I'd go with the lower miles and newer truck. But like everyone says it really depends on how you're gonna use it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
4x4, plus 96000 mikes is a good deal for that price.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
4x4, plus 96000 mikes is a good deal for that price.
That's a lot of mikes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
4x4
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 and 6 foot bed. if use for haul stuff for work, I got AC 2012 6speed.. no issue. and v6 is good to have
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
OP, did you pick one of those two yet, or are you still looking?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
rraabb11 is on a distinguished road
rraabb11's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting to hear about a job before I make the decision. The rust issue makes me hesitant on the 4X4, But I like the idea of not having a high car payment.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The picture you attached of the rusty frame isn't bad yet but will need to be coated soon or else it could be a problem. Check the frame rails futher toward the front to make sure you don't have any more serious rust spots.

All things being equal, you need to make the decison as to whether or not you really need 4wd or not and also how many people you need to carry on a day to day basis. If you need a 4wd double cab then keep looking. 4wd and cab size are not things you will be happy with if you settle on them now. FWIW, I think the pre-runner is way overpriced for a 3 yr old, 2wd pickup.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #16

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraabb11 View Post
Waiting to hear about a job before I make the decision. The rust issue makes me hesitant on the 4X4, But I like the idea of not having a high car payment.
Ok, I see. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I'm surprised nobody comented on the frame rust on the 4x4. I'm no expert, but my 07 looks way better than that one pictured.