Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

power window motor to scissor arm broke. help?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
joe440 is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
joe440's Tacoma Gallery
power window motor to scissor arm broke. help?

so i went to put the window up yesterday and heard a snap/crack noise followed by no window movement. Window motor still works and all that, the scissor arm just broke off where it connects to the motor. I cant find anything on the bottom of the door if a piece fell off. Seems like it would need some type of snap ring or even stronger to hold it where it has to be.
Heres what im working with:
End of scissor arm that should be connected to motor

Where the scissor arm should be connected to over that raised metal oval

I see on both ends of the problems those three little circles in a triangular shape around the oval, is that anything? Also the male end being an oval shape and the female end being a perfect circle. Any info would be great.
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like something that was spot welded? If you know someone with a spot welder just respot weld it. Most likely you don't so if you do know someone with a mig/tig welder drill a hole where the spots are on the side that had the metal ripped out or thinner side and then use those holes to reweld it. other than that get a new part?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
Try quicksteel or jb weld for a quick fix...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
A good welder should be able to fix that right up. It's probably a dealer only part, I haven't heard anyone talking about window regulator/motor failure other than this one thread. From my experience in retail auto parts, the aftermarket usually only picks up a window regulator application if it's a well known high failure rate.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
its 8 yrs old buy a new one
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
If u can't fix it try dorman...I would be surprised if they didnt have one...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
joe440 is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
joe440's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info. Went to the dealer saturday and they wanted $113 for the entire track system because thats the only way to buy what I needed. So after work today, took apart and was able to fix it pretty easily within an hour and a half. Pretty surprised how small the factory welds were to hold it together.
So in case anyone else has this problem, here's what i did

cleaned up the steel and marked where the factory spots were

lined them up and clamped together

welded the holes, filling with mig or tig is the better way to go than a spot weld. I could of probably welded in the center around the oval, but i was a little hesitant just incase something went wrong it would of been a bitch to grind and seperate.

put it back in and worked like a charm. heres what the dealer wanted to sell me for that problem
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
At least the trucks don't have that stupid cable system that breaks all the time. I like good metal gears..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
At least the trucks don't have that stupid cable system that breaks all the time. I like good metal gears..
Yes! Glad to see no cables on this one. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that broke both front window regulators. The first time, the dealer gladly took 240 bucks from me for a new one. There is so much markup on them, that the parts guy gave me 40 bucks off just for asking for the "good guy" price. The second one, Dorman had come out with a kit, including a motor/regulator assembly and some extra plastic door panel clips to replace the ones that always break. The whole kit was right around $100.

Sucks about the spot welds breaking, but that looks like a sample defect, not a design problem.