Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Axle crooked because of lift!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
up in smoke is a splendid one to beholdup in smoke is a splendid one to beholdup in smoke is a splendid one to beholdup in smoke is a splendid one to beholdup in smoke is a splendid one to beholdup in smoke is a splendid one to behold
Name: Byron
up in smoke's Tacoma Gallery
1'' is a lot. the center bolt is probably not located in the the lift block hole. Take a measurement from the front of the leaf springs eye bolt to a point on the rear axle that is identical on each side. you will have to put the trucks frame on jack stands and let the axle hang. this will allow you to loosen the U bolts and reposition the axle on the blocks. after you realign the rear axle the steering wheel will be off center so go get the front end re aligned.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
I would expect the steering wheel to be off center as well if it is dog tracking.
This is true..

Sometimes if the actual bed itself has moved it will give the appearance that the axle is off center. I would at least measure the gap of the front of the bed to the back of the cab. Measure both right and left sides. Its fairly common for the bed bolts to become loose making the bed shift a little.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up with the same problem. When you bolt down you u-bolts you MUST make sure they are even from one side to the other. I measured mine from distance between at the top (at the leaf spring) an distance between at the nuts.
Also if your tightening them to 85ftlb they will like likely loosen up. I did mine to 90-94 ftlb.
Check to make sure your tapered end of the lift blocks are facing the right directions. (short side forwad I believe)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
My trucks sitting in the shop right now. They fired the guy who lifted my truck before because, and I'm quoting the manager, "he kept f#*king sh!t up". They believe the lift was installed wrong so there fixing it. Then I had to argue with the mechanic that my truck didn't come with a TSB and he worked for Toyota before. It's sad when a high schooler proves a grown mechanic wrong because of tacomaworld haha!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just got my truck back. The block was centered on the pin and the axle isnt bent and neither is the frame. They said its either the shackle or the whole leaf pack.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #26
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
I've had multiple people say my beds crooked driving down the road. Not like taco lean crooked but the whole bed turned slightly in one direction. Yes I've got leaf blocks I know there a big no no but I found that out after putting them on. Yesterday my dad pointed out that both rear wheels are pointed toward the passenger side. I dropped the spare and took measurements of the blocks in relationship to the end of the lower leaf. The drivers side has a worn spot from where the axle sat on the leaves before so I'm pretty sure the position of the passenger side is correct.

Passenger side which I think is correct: the rear of the block is 12 inches from the end of the leaf

Drivers side: the rear of the block is 13 inches from the end of the leaf

I'm thinking about putting the rear on jack stands and loosening the drivers side and move it to where it should go. Any other options I should try? I also don't have a way to check the torque on the u bolts so I need ideas with that too.
I've got the exact same problem going on with my truck. The left tire it tilted inward toward the passenger side.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
Just got my truck back. The block was centered on the pin and the axle isnt bent and neither is the frame. They said its either the shackle or the whole leaf pack.
Oh well that is good to know. I wonder if my shackles or leaf pack is screwed up. My truck drove straight before I put the aftermarket leaf pack and new shackles on the truck. Let me know when you figure out the problem.

EDIT: Don't mean to thread jack, but do any of you know a good way to measure the axle housing to see whether it's bent?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Please, again... Check to make sure your u bolts are the exact same on both sides. I had this problem and it took me a bit to figure it out.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #29

They look the same to me
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Please, again... Check to make sure your u bolts are the exact same on both sides. I had this problem and it took me a bit to figure it out.
Exactly my thoughts. An alignment shop will tell you your "thrust" is out. With some adjusting it can be fixed.
Also dont measure from axle to truck box. This is not a fixed part and can move freely. Measure from axle to a fixed point on the frame. Make sure the fixed point is also the same on both sides.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #31

I'm thinking I'm gonna go for a new leaf pack and see if that will help and not worry about it till then. If its still sitting weird then then ill get more in depth into trying to fix it
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #32
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
any update with this? my truck is dog tracking on me too
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #33
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was just like his. All I did was take it to a shop lift it up from the frame, loosen the nuts on the ubolts on both sides retighten and mine was fixed. I also installed mine on my own and didn't have them torqued tight enough.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #34
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is bone stock. So I'm curious to what else is going on. I'm gonna take it to a body shop and have them check my frame specs before I go buying new leaf springs
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Mechanic for Honda

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
I have original factory springs
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #37

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile. The day after I took my truck in they called back and said bring it in and they'll fix it for free. They never told me what exactly they did but they said a u bolt had to be replaced and replaced it. It drives 1000x times better. You can definitely feel the difference.