Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Axle crooked because of lift!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
Axle crooked because of lift!

I've had multiple people say my beds crooked driving down the road. Not like taco lean crooked but the whole bed turned slightly in one direction. Yes I've got leaf blocks I know there a big no no but I found that out after putting them on. Yesterday my dad pointed out that both rear wheels are pointed toward the passenger side. I dropped the spare and took measurements of the blocks in relationship to the end of the lower leaf. The drivers side has a worn spot from where the axle sat on the leaves before so I'm pretty sure the position of the passenger side is correct.

Passenger side which I think is correct: the rear of the block is 12 inches from the end of the leaf

Drivers side: the rear of the block is 13 inches from the end of the leaf

I'm thinking about putting the rear on jack stands and loosening the drivers side and move it to where it should go. Any other options I should try? I also don't have a way to check the torque on the u bolts so I need ideas with that too.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm unfamiliar with blocks , is there a hole that registers the leaf pack centre pin like there is in the axle ?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont think so but I'll go out and check now
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

It doesn't look like there's a pin there from looking at it. I don't have the tires or blocks off though so I could be wrong
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery

should look like this. The pin goes into the axle and the pin from the leaf spring indexes into the hole
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

is there a possibility that the pin has come out of the hole and is resting on the edge?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
is there a possibility that the pin has come out of the hole and is resting on the edge?
It might not be seated correctly in the axle
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
From the looks of the pictures, the blocks seem to be seated properly on the spring perch so I don't think they have come out of the hole
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

how should i try fixing this?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly you should ditch the blocks and invest in a lift spring or add a leaf kit or even a taller shackle.

Blocks should only be a temporary lift option, They are bad on the entire rear spring assembly and can cause them to flatten out or can break, crack or just shear the bolt and slid out.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Barbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedBarbaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Barbaro's Tacoma Gallery
measure from the front wheels to the back wheels on both sides. To see if you get the same amount of deviation (+/- 2 inches). Or take a level to the axle.

How did you notice this, Driving?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #12

the plan was for them to only be temporary to hold the larger tires but temporary became alot longer than anticipated.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

i couldnt tell while driving but my dad pointed out that the front of my rear tire was pointing inward and the other tire was pointing outward. ive started to become concerned after looking at it.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Honestly you should ditch the blocks and invest in a lift spring or add a leaf kit or even a taller shackle.

Blocks should only be a temporary lift option, They are bad on the entire rear spring assembly and can cause them to flatten out or can break, crack or just shear the bolt and slid out.
That what I was wondering , if the centre pin had sheared off
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Loosen everything on a lift jack, straighten it and re tighten?

Check your ubolts for loose bolts, that could be a culprit
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
The term is generally called "dog tracking."

One of your pins has either broken, or has went in one of the hollows of the block and not the actual pin slot.

Regardless, you need to pull all four U bolts off and inspect the pins. While you're at it, spend 150 on a Add-A-Leaf and throw those blocks in the trash!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #17

im about to head up to the shop and see if they can fix it. i dont have jack stands tall enough for my truck or a way to get the correct torque on the u bolts.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Check to make sure both u bolt plates are the same. I notice one looks a bit more angled to the rear than the other. That could move your axle forward or back as well
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post

Look at the bottom of the axle, then look at the top cap where the pin goes in. It's about an inch off, your pin is in the hollow part of the block behind the pin hole.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
I would expect the steering wheel to be off center as well if it is dog tracking.