Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I think my 2011 rear end was replaced with a LSD mechanical rear differential ???

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
You scored dude! I feel 08' was the last of the best, not that the newer trucks are bad ( there not) just more electronic garbage. Good deal, rock that mechanical rear for sure.

Thanks ,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
cnew is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cnew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Muchacho View Post
A possible downside is more frequent diff fluid changes.

I believe the maintenance plan from the manual calls for a 30k mile fluid change for vehicles with mechanical lsd as regardless of normal use versus severe use. This may be due to the friction modifier breaking down because of shearing of the fluid.

In contrast, I think the plan suggests 30k mile change for e-lsd for severe use only and an extended fluid change for normal use.

Don't quote me on this, however. I am away from my vehicle and can't confirm the manual states this.
I was just looking at this the yesterday. It only shows a fluid change under the severe driving conditions @30,000 for the e-lsd like you said. Went through the entire service schedule 100,000 miles + and didn't see when they recommend a fluid change in the rear diff for the e-lsd. I'm at 30,000 now and may just change the front/rear diff, and the transfer case for peace of mind.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Mine spun the opposite way, but i supposedly have a LSD (being a trd sport)? does this sound wrong?
Yours is a 2010, meaning it has Auto-LSD, which is a open differential with a simulated LSD (the computer uses the brakes to limit wheel spin), as opposed to the actual mechanical LSD used in the pre-2009 2nd gens.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Yours is a 2010, meaning it has Auto-LSD, which is a open differential with a simulated LSD (the computer uses the brakes to limit wheel spin), as opposed to the actual mechanical LSD used in the pre-2009 2nd gens.
X2

Brett
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
Are the gears in the 08 rear ends the same as the 11? Drove a friends 2012 stock 4.0 Tacoma the other day and it felt a lot different at certain speeds than mine does. His felt a lot more responsive, where mines feels a lot heavier . The only thing i could think of was my tire being a 32, but then i started wondering if it was a difference in the gearing since i no longer have my original 2011 rear end, but the 2008 LSD one. I'm not too familiar with the gearing and re-gearing, but i have a general idea.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '06 SR5 with Mechanical LSD you scored, my gear ratio is 3:727 w/6 speed manual. In other words a 3:73
auto trans came with 3:583 2.7L or 3:727 4.0L 4x4
2.7L 5 sp manual came with 3:307 4x2 4:100 4x4
4.0L 6 sp manual came with 3:153 4x2 3:727 4x4

This is according to Tacoma 2006 Specifications.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #28
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, like others have said: Huge Score
I've been considering buying an LSD, and you just got one in a free upgrade
Tires Spin in the same direction when you have it jacked + the LSD sticker = it's definately an LSD
I'd keep it and count yourself blessed
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #29
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
I have a '06 SR5 with Mechanical LSD you scored, my gear ratio is 3:727 w/6 speed manual. In other words a 3:73

prerunner and 4wd v6 05+ have the 3.73s. 6spd man or 5spd auto also doesnt change that.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
prerunner and 4wd v6 05+ have the 3.73s. 6spd man or 5spd auto also doesnt change that.
Thanks. Guess it must be the bigger tires then. I did some looking around and it seems like 4:10 gears would be the way to go if i can find them, but would i loose on mpg ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Yeah, like others have said: Huge Score
I've been considering buying an LSD, and you just got one in a free upgrade
Tires Spin in the same direction when you have it jacked + the LSD sticker = it's definately an LSD
I'd keep it and count yourself blessed
Guess it worked out with getting the LSD rear end. Before it happened i had no idea it wasn't a mechanical LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Correct, I wrote what the spec sheet has. It shows a Tacoma X-Runner 4X2 6-speed with 3:153 gear ratio, only available option. Copy of spec sheet attached, where it shows it I highlighted yellow.
My bad I did not specify between PreRunner or X-Runner.
Attached Thumbnails
I think my 2011 rear end was replaced with a LSD mechanical rear differential ???-2006-tacoma-specs-sheet.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post

SHIT! Really? I traded in my 06 sport for a 13 sport and had no idea doesn't actually have a true LSD.

This auto LSD sounds more like traction control than LSD. So if I disengage the traction control and go step on the gas... instead of the LSD kicking in and locking the rear diff, the Auto LSD is just going to apply the brake to my spinning wheel? That doesn't sound right. OR ETHICAL. I am not pleased. Not pleased at all.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #33
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BoltRacing View Post
In the 5 years ive owned her ive never taken it off-roading.. I would like to sometime but nothing serious just to ride some trails and such. I rarely ever get into a situation that calls for me to lock the diff (and having the LSD would probly solve that problem before it happens)..I do it now and then just to cycle it and make sure it still works. I would much rather have a full time LSD that turns both.
i wish i would have known, i scrapped an 8 inch lsd diff that was in my way awhile back. Could not figure out who spent the money to put it in the truck, and an E locker would be a nice add to my play truck.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverstuck View Post
SHIT! Really? I traded in my 06 sport for a 13 sport and had no idea doesn't actually have a true LSD.

This auto LSD sounds more like traction control than LSD. So if I disengage the traction control and go step on the gas... instead of the LSD kicking in and locking the rear diff, the Auto LSD is just going to apply the brake to my spinning wheel? That doesn't sound right. OR ETHICAL. I am not pleased. Not pleased at all.
thats correct.

i did some tests and it does actually work.. How well is someones guess but it is cool because i have a locker and "lsd" instead of one or the other.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
A little bit of research before buying a vehicle goes a long way.

Edit: Nevermind
^when i clicked your question was there, and when it refreshed to type... it says nevermind.

But yes lol its 4:28 am its ok to be a little... off
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Haha yes, I was thinking.. standard now?
I believe so. I think all 2012 plus models have it as part of the federal VSC bs, but i could be wrong.

somewhere there is a thread on here explaining all of the traction control modes on the new ones.

im just glad its not horrible VSC like the 06 runner. that thing cuts all power when it slips
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #38
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
The easy way to check if you have a mechanical LSD (and looking at the pics you do - congratulations!):

Take your bottle jack and place it under one side of your rear axle. Jack the truck up till the rear tire on that side is just barely off the ground. Get in your truck, start it. Deactivate the traction control by pressing and holding the VSC button for 3+ seconds - traction control off, not auto LSD.

With traction control off, put it in gear and GENTLY give it a little gas and see if it will drive off the jack. You don't even have to actually drive completely off the jack (not that it will hurt anything). If it moves its got a LSD.

David
Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #39
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
wont the receipt list all the part numbers installed during the repair?

if not ask. not effen way the service manager slaps his forehead and switchs it out. no way.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJaikaran View Post
First thing i actually did. Both spun in same direction, but it seems like its not an accurate way of checking.
If it's an open diff the wheels will spin the other way they are spinning around the spider gears. Put it in park and try it with both wheels off the ground if it is limited slip you should not be able the turn the tire.

Products Discussed in this Thread