Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Melting side rear view mirrors?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
MomsTacoma is on a distinguished road
MomsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed this same melting effect on a small portion of the front grill on my mother's '07. The grill is made from the same black plastic material as the side view mirrors. Maybe ABS, I don't know...

It took me a while to figure it out but the only conclusion I could come to is that it is reflective glare off of the energy efficient windows at her house. Window technology nowadays is much more reflective to minimize the greenhouse effect within buildings. Under the right conditions on a hot summers day and at just the right angle the reflection off of these windows can superheat whatever it hits... The fact that the material is black probably doesn't help either as it absorbs even more heat.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #42
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I think Dr Evil is putting Lazer beems on Pigeons.

But to be serious. Have you taken apart the mirror? If it was reflected sun it would not be concentrated like that. It would be the whole cover.

If you look at the intensity of the burn it is concentrated on one location. So that means the heat source is concentrated. Like if someone held a magnifying glass or a torch in that middle spot. Or the motor/wiring is going bad in the mirror casing.

So with all that being said take it apart and i would just about guarantee the mirror motor is right at that center bubbled/burned spot.

And just remember there are a lot of bullshiiters on this site so just take them with a grain of salt and beat back with a big stick. And sometime BS threads are started just for fun. So you need thick skin around here.

And i see some people talking about windows? If its a flat window then it just reflects the same light that would be shining as if in direct sun light. If its a parabolic window pointed at your truck then you have a problem.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #43
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDESMO View Post
This is the STOCK mirror, is everybody in denial here? Just as I have said, it happened to both my stock mirrors, I have seen it on other Toyota's, I just posted another picture of a Prius with the same thing. There is no blow torch maniac, no cheap after market products. I really don't care about the mirror, I just wanted to see if it was happening to anybody else.
Kinda coming back a little rude. I'm out. Good luck with the mirrors.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
First I have heard of it. Where is the truck parked the majority of the time? Just because it is stock does not mean it is quality, and just because something is aftermarket does not make it garbage.

well, with plastics, odds are in favor of OEM vs Aftermarket.

engineered resins are more expensive than ordinary resins

and there are 1000 molding outfits in China who would love to
make you a 10,000-50,000 part run for very low cost

forgot about the little mirror motors...they should blow a fuse
before they draw enough current to melt the housing...I mean
the housing is air gapped from the motor...would take a serious
motor problem (fuse blowing level) to melt that
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #45
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, how hot does it get there? That's insane, idk how it could do that unless heat is building up inside the mirror casing itself.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #46
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
MARKDESMO will become famous soon enough
MARKDESMO's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to go with the story my son told me while he was at college, "Dad it must have been the library windows I go there everyday"......
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #48
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am going to go with the story my son told me while he was at college, "Dad it must have been the library windows I go there everyday"......
more like
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #49
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #50
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There was no other damage to the car, it happened on both mirrors, I posted a picture of it, I have seen other Toyota's, not Tacoma's, on the road with the same warper mirror here in SoCal. The reason I posted is because I don't know what happened. It would be logical to assume that the plastic that Toyota uses or used in the mirrors is the problem. btw,what's with name calling and putdowns?
I didn't call anyone a name. ?? I only called BS on the fact that it is a mfg defect. I'm not sayiing that you don't have an issue with your mirror.

You do seem to be rather sensitive. ( Note: This is not a "putdown", just an observation. Sorry if it hurt your feelings. Seriously.

Toyota uses the same ABS Thermoplastic that all mfgs use. No one on this ( or any other forum) has a crystal ball to tell you what happened to your mirror housings. We do not have enough information.

What we do know is:
1. Your mirror housing(s) got burned. Seems concentrated in one area.
2. ABS Plastic reaches glass transition at 212 F.
3. The sun doesn't get this hot on its own ( unless through a magnifying glass etc...)
4. If this was a common phenomenon it would be all over this forum ( and all other Toyota forums) in spades.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #51
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...us-woman-says/

I just found this, look at the picture. Unless there is some "blowtorch" crazed person that hates Toyota's it must be the plastic that Toyota is using.
Did you read the article?

Quote:
And then she noticed her neighbor's energy-efficient windows that seemed to be directing a concentrated beam of energy-efficient light towards her energy-efficient vehicle.
That doesn't equal defective ABS Plastic. Sun + Mirror + Concentrated Energy = Oven.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #52
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reason I posted is because I don't know what happened.

It would be logical to assume that the plastic that Toyota uses or used in the mirrors is the problem.

After you posted (#13), do you realize that you have solved the mystery... given the fact that the woman's mirrors in the video appear to have the same damage yours has?

It would be illogical to assume Toyota uses a 'lesser grade' plastic for their exterior body parts if you search for the same problem on here.

When you park your truck, turn it around for a month...... until the sun will be at a different angle... then park as you wish later in the season.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #53
MARKDESMO will become famous soon enough
MARKDESMO's Tacoma Gallery
I actually like the look of my melted superior grade plastic rear side view mirror that aliens came down and replaced the stock mirror with an after market one, torched it, poured acid on it and left me a note to park it at a different angle or they would start calling me names.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #54
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I actually like the look of my melted superior grade plastic rear side view mirror that aliens came down and replaced the stock mirror with an after market one, torched it, poured acid on it and left me a note to park it at a different angle or they would start calling me names.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #56
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like it would be a fire risk.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #57
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Name: Cory
xguntherc's Tacoma Gallery
Time to resurrect this thread.

My Tacoma (2011) I've had for 4 months is starting to have this same issue. I'm in Vegas and it gets over 110 degree's, yet the past two years nothing has happened.

Since owning it myself, and parking next to my apartment with big window reflections, my grill and side mirror is starting to melt. I'll get pictures tomorrow, but it looks absolutely awful. I'm not sure what is causing this but I won't be parking by the windows any more. I'd hate to see what the 110 degree days with window glare does to the plastic. Maybe I should just as a test.

lol
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #58
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Is this happening to members who only have black colored mirrors? Heated mirrors(Tacoma Limited)? Only people who live in really hot climates like Arizona?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #59
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah these new reflective windows are also melting vinyl siding off adjacent houses. They need to be pulled from the market. Not safe at all.

http://blog.armchairbuilder.com/3799...ct-or-fiction/
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #60
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
Time to resurrect this thread.

My Tacoma (2011) I've had for 4 months is starting to have this same issue. I'm in Vegas and it gets over 110 degree's, yet the past two years nothing has happened.

Since owning it myself, and parking next to my apartment with big window reflections, my grill and side mirror is starting to melt. I'll get pictures tomorrow, but it looks absolutely awful. I'm not sure what is causing this but I won't be parking by the windows any more. I'd hate to see what the 110 degree days with window glare does to the plastic. Maybe I should just as a test.

lol
Did you read previous helpful posts? It's caused by a crazed lunatic with a blowtorch and acid, not window reflections. It's YOUR fault for questioning the injection molded thermoplastic quality and parking in whatever orientation you have been. Whatever you are doing, stop.. if you back in your spot, stop it! if you pull straight in, you are a moron! lol