Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Melting side rear view mirrors?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
MARKDESMO will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
MARKDESMO's Tacoma Gallery
Melting side rear view mirrors?

Is there a thread on the side rear view mirrors that the plastic case melts?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDESMO View Post
I just searched it and came up with nothing.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sure it could melt if heated enough. Are yours melting? It would take a great deal of heat in order for that to happen. The sun isn't going to do it if that is what you are thinking. It is more than likely ABS Plastic that has no real " melting point " as what you would see in a regular plastic material.

Its " glass transition " temperature is approximately 105 C (221 F). ABS is amorphous and therefore has no true melting point.

105 degrees C is 221 degrees F.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Yes, both have I guess melted in the sun. I live in Southern California and my son also ha the car in Waco, TX when he was going to college. I have actually seen other Toyota side rear view mirrors while driving down the freeway, here's a pic.

Melting side rear view mirrors?-dscn2511.jpg
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mattnatti's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! That is F'ed up.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, both have I guess melted in the sun. I live in Southern California and my son also ha the car in Waco, TX when he was going to college. I have actually seen other Toyota side rear view mirrors while driving down the freeway, here's a pic.

Attachment 195161

this worries me with the way our summer here was last year...
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Attachment 195161

The sun did not do that.

Neither Southern California or Waco Texas get up over 212 Degrees F even in the worst summer sun. That was exposed to something very hot. Notice it didn't melt all over, mainly in one area. It looks like someone used a propane torch on it.

I have never seen any ABS Plastic melt in that way from the sun.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Dallas Texas. Although I have a garage I don't park in it. My truck has 75k miles on it and has spent nearly every single day/night outside. My mirrors look just fine. This is honestly the first I've heard of this issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Heated mirrors gone wrong? maybe motor malfunction.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Attachment 195161
never seen or heard of that before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Heated mirrors gone wrong? maybe motor malfunction.
But my guess is this ^
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Do you park your truck in front of any glass buildings or something like that? ... reflective sun damage?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Usual wear and tear, it happened on both sides and each motor works fine. Like I said before. driving down the freeway here in SoCal I spotted another Toyota, not a Tacoma, with a similar mirror and it had the same warping.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
I found this on the web

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-toyota-prius/
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmmm check with the dealership. Ive heard of a mirror heater mod. Maybe someone botched it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
The sun did not do that.

I have never seen any ABS Plastic melt in that way from the sun.

I agree. Heat damage would just sag the housing and make it kinda glossy. That looks like aa actual burn to me.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
VA6DCO

[QUOTE=MARKDESMO;6418943]I found this on the web

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...us/[/QUOTE]
Ive heard of this and I believe they are putting in some restrictions on these windows nowadays.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
That was obviously near a heat source besides the sun. I lived in El Paso for 2 1/2 years, never had any issues like that. Although, the Mercury Tracer I had at that time, had the Mercury emblem glued in the middle of the grill, and one day it just fell off from the heat.

Well, did some searching, and yes, there are a lot of cases of melting plastic on vehicles caused by energy efficient glass on buildings. Apparently, when cold, the double paned glass can become concave, concentrating the reflection into a beam of heat, just light a magnifying glass.

It is not from direct sunlight, but the reflection of the sun.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
+1

That's not from the sun.
It's from a torch, or magnifying glass, or even a compressor exhaust.

If it were from the sun, then every black Tacoma in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas would have their badges falling off, and the grille melting in the same manner (same material).
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #19
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is interesting, although if its that hot, I would think there would be more damage than just melted plastics. Maybe bubbled paint, etc...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #20

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
This is interesting, although if its that hot, I would think there would be more damage than just melted plastics. Maybe bubbled paint, etc...
I agree. The ABS Plastic doesn't reach the Glass Transition Stage until it gets to ~ 105 degrees C or 212 Degrees F. There would be other damage to the vehicle if the reflection from a window were causing it. That mirror looks burned like a torch or some other concentrated heat source was applied just to that area of the mirror.

Gotta throw the old "Bull Shit Flag" on this story.