Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cracked bed tub

Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Weblefty is on a distinguished road
Army: 3/504th PIR
Weblefty's Tacoma Gallery
cracked bed tub

Hi Folks. This is my first post and I may be in over my head already, posting pics and all. Short story short....as you can tell by the photos above, I have a cracked bed tub. I have never owned a Tacoma before and I just bought this from a private party yesterday. When I saw the cracks I thought, "A cracked bed liner. Big deal. A littel fiberglass and paint. Done!" Well, now I know. I had half the truck apart before I actually figured out what I found out by searching this forum.

Here is my question for all you learned Tacoma folks.....can I fix this or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new tub? They are about $1500 and that would make the good deal I got on the truck much less of a good deal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lastly, I can't really see a benefit to actually taking the bed off to make repairs in this area. The material is torn in a direction that wont allow me to push it back into place, so it appears I may have to cut some out and make a patch, unless someone else out there has had some other experience with the same type of problem. I've seen other posts from folks with cracks, but this is in a weird spot. The guy I bought from used that portion of the bed as a place to anchor a vending machine. Not wise.

Any help is appreciated. I went from glad to sad with this one. Bummer. Next time I will try and get pics posted side by side....
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
It's not just fiberglass, and OTC glass kits are not going to work.

Scour the junk yards for a replacement.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Bummer. Thanks for the info, though. I appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Your missing a bed bolt too.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't look that bad to me, I would just live with it.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Wow, being the beds are made of many types of plastic and whatever they want to recycle, the junkyard might be your friend. You might want to check over on Pirate4x4 to see if anyone has a crawler build going on that are taking off the bed. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
go on car-part.com and look on there for a local wrecking yard with a bed. they run around $300 for a very nice clean bed
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me I would drill the end of the cracks, grind out the cracks, laminate the whole broken piece with some 3/16 plate and possibly rivets. Then find a body shop and ask them to fill the rest of the cracks with some 3M duramix adhesive, they should be able to tell you what duramix would work best on such material. Sand and paint black.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
go on car-part.com and look on there for a local wrecking yard with a bed. they run around $300 for a very nice clean bed
+1 on car-part.com
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil5393 View Post
+1 on car-part.com
good site but isnt always up to date so i just call everyone they usually have it
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad10tacoma View Post
It doesn't look that bad to me, I would just live with it.
x2, I'm not sure you are losing a great deal of structural integrity from where the break is. Looks like you tried using a tie down there? How did it happen?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
x2, I'm not sure you are losing a great deal of structural integrity from where the break is. Looks like you tried using a tie down there? How did it happen?
Scratch that, sorry I'm on my phone. Looked at the pics again, its broken on both sides? Did you have something tied to a bed rail cleat and try pulling it somewhere?

I still don't think you have a big deal, you just can't use the tie down rail on that side.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
If it were me I would drill the end of the cracks, grind out the cracks, laminate the whole broken piece with some 3/16 plate and possibly rivets. Then find a body shop and ask them to fill the rest of the cracks with some 3M duramix adhesive, they should be able to tell you what duramix would work best on such material. Sand and paint black.

yup ^^^^ best fix right here

drill + plate + rivets + elephant snot = stronger than new
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I would hammer it as flat as possible and take the bed cleat rail off.
Then I would find a piece of aluminium or steel that would nicely fit over it and drill some holes and replace the bed rail.
Just something to consider.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^ ^^

Old school way to stop the crack, this may be the only way to go short of replacing the bed. Seeing the amount of damage, this is the direction I would take.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X3 on this, the back of the bed doesn't look damaged, so I wouldn't worry. Replace that bed bolt, if it is missing, and take care of that rust I see on the corner of the rail. I'd be more worried about those things.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't replace the whole thing if i were you. Its cracked at a spot where you can do some minor work to hide it. There are 2 great suggestions post already.

I like the placing metal over it. You can find a good Fab guy to do the work. Then powder coat it black and you're set.

Then as time passes, you can find a used bed liner and install then.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Thanks for all the suggestions. The consensus seems to be the rivets, duramix solution and that is what I will try. When I get it done, I will post pics and show you my results.

A couple of you asked how this happened. It was like that when I bought it last week. The original owner told me he had strapped a vending machine to that part of the bed, using the bed cleats (?) and it tipped. It was so heavy that it pulled that part of the tub corners out from underneath the fenders and cracked the rub. This is problematic because it has re-expanded and I can't push it back. That is also why you see a bit of rust on the right fender. Ill be on that, too.

Lastly, it was mentioned that I was missing a bed bolt. I had simply unscrewed it earlier thinking I was removing a bed liner. Live and learn. Thanks for the concern, but I'm good to go on bed bolts.

Thanks for all the great replies.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
I don't get it, it looks like the plastic bed is cracked. Why not just plastic weld it back together? Will the bed plastic type not weld? Basically just cut/file what you need to until the edges touch. Take the bed out if you have to, it comes out easily.

Then if you can get the edges to touch, use a small torch and pendulum action to melt the edges together.

If you can't get them right together, you're going to have to find some like plastic (ideally a strip from a junkyarded tacoma) and melt it in. It is smelly and doesnt look the best, but will look a heck of a lot better than a steel plate with rivets for a patch.

If you can't do it, call around to some body shops. They do it all the time for plastic front bumpers for cars and can prob do a nicer job, though for that piece of a truck box total prettyness probably doesn't matter.

Good luck with whatever method you chose though!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Drill stop, bevel edges, rivet on a backing strip, epoxy and paint. cover with a tool box.