Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fog HID's

Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
True but that wasn't his question. HID or Retrofit? He asked about HID
A retrofit allows you to do a proper HID install...

They are the same thing.. There is PNP HID and retrofit for HID
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Lighting is one part of a vehicle where looks should not take priority over function and performance.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
but it's your rig. Hope no one crashes because of the nasty scattered light from that PnP kit.
Exactly They would be illegal if they were such a problem. I get your point though
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Lighting is one part of a vehicle where looks should not take priority over function and performance.
This.. It may look cool to you but it blinds oncoming drivers as drivers you are following..
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
A retrofit allows you to do a proper HID install...

They are the same thing.. There is PNP HID and retrofit for HID
Got ya. I just went the cheaper route. I didn't have the time or money to do the retrofit for HID fogs.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
This.. It may look cool to you but it blinds oncoming drivers as drivers you are following..
Whats a good cheap retrofit fog assembly and how difficult is it to install??
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because I want HID not standard and I want the fog lens to match my headlamp smoke lens
So retrofit both fogs and headlights and color match them both. They'll look great and actually be an improvement over your stock lighting instead of that overpriced light scattering kit that you currently have
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Lighting is one of those things you don't want to go cheap on. But check out theretrofitsource, they make good kits
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Blazer projector if you can still find them. There are a couple threads on the installation. It's not terrible but is pretty involved.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #30
War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
So retrofit both fogs and headlights and color match them both. They'll look great and actually be an improvement over your stock lighting instead of that overpriced light scattering kit that you currently have
What kit is good and whats the price ranges??
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #31

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What kit is good and whats the price ranges??
Here's the write-up I did a while back, complete with the kit I used and prices. I spent $185 on my kit complete with gattling shrouds, projectors, HID bulbs, ballast and wiring harness.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-retrofit.html

The Blazer projector has since been discontinued although can be found on some websites. I'm not sure if TRS has replaced them with a different model or not.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Here's the write-up I did a while back, complete with the kit I used and prices. I spent $185 on my kit complete with gattling shrouds, projectors, HID bulbs, ballast and wiring harness.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-retrofit.html

The Blazer projector has since been discontinued although can be found on some websites. I'm not sure if TRS has replaced them with a different model or not.
Awesome and great write-up by the way on the fog light install.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Exactly They would be illegal if they were such a problem. I get your point though
Check local laws and I think you will be surprised because they are illegal in most, if not all, states. Some states carry as high as $6000 fine per offense (or used to when I dealt lights); but I have never heard of anyone ever being ticketed, but I wish they would.

This is why when I sold lights I refused to deal in HID kits and only sold complete systems (bulb, reflector, housings and wiring). While the HID kit isn't necessarily illegal, putting an HID light in an NON-HID housing is, as the light is then no longer DOT approved; even if both parts are DOT approved separately.

Bright does not equal better, think of an old maglight as you screw the lens, see how much the light goes out of focus with just a small adjustment? Did you buy a new bulb or batteries or did you focus the lens? Exactly. You are doing the opposite here, adding wasted light, your picture shows that perfectly.

Also don't understand why people put HID's in the fog lights, it makes it worse in the fog. Even more so the farther up the light spectrum you go. Even as driving lights you want a LOW cut-off shining to the sides, not a second set of high beams.

Look again at the picture, do you want that in your face as you pass by at night? So dangerous for everyone involved, including the driver. Most people don't care, though, as long as it better for them.

And that is a shame.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #36
War Eagle!!

Ill be doing the fog light retrofit soon. My headlamps are retrofit HID just FYI because some people in previous posts said they weren't and I have adjusted them correctly from the back side so they aren't in peoples eyes while Im driving.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
War Eagle!!

Another question why aren't factory fog lights retrofit if they blind folks?? Or is it because the bulbs aren't near as bright??
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #38
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Another question why aren't factory fog lights retrofit if they blind folks?? Or is it because the bulbs aren't near as bright??
Factory fog lights are designed to work with the halogen lights they come with. When you put HID bulbs in them - They create the glare that everyone hates.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
War Eagle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Factory fog lights are designed to work with the halogen lights they come with. When you put HID bulbs in them - They create the glare that everyone hates.