Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A.R.E. Cap leaks?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Hollow Road Rider is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
Hollow Road Rider's Tacoma Gallery
Question A.R.E. Cap leaks?

Should I expect a dry bed with an A.R.E. cap on?

I understand that the tailgate does not seal... even with a tailgate seal, there are gaps. But I suspect the cap on my 2013 is leaking on the bed rug from the rear window on the cap.

After the truck has been sitting in the rain, the bed rug is damp in the fold of the tailgate- - - just below the top of the window.

Am I out of line to expect a dry rug?

I'd like to hear from fellow A.R.E. owners.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
Should I expect a dry bed with an A.R.E. cap on?

I understand that the tailgate does not seal... even with a tailgate seal, there are gaps. But I suspect the cap on my 2013 is leaking on the bed rug from the rear window on the cap.

After the truck has been sitting in the rain, the bed rug is damp in the fold of the tailgate- - - just below the top of the window.

Am I out of line to expect a dry rug?

I'd like to hear from fellow A.R.E. owners.
You should not expect leaks on a new cap.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Toughest place to ensure a good seal on a 2nd gen is the front corners of the bed near the cab where the bedrail steps down along the cab

I have had leaks there occasionally , but the water shows up near the tailgate as it travels unseen under my bed mat